Tablets on flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag

Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
1979 42' CHB Europa
Has anyone here tried using a tablet on the flybridge with a network system? We are looking at installing a wi-fi network so we can tie in tablets on the flybridge but I wonder if they are "daylight readable" enough. Most seem to be very faint in the sunlight.

I use my Ipad for navigation from the flybridge frequently, but it pretty much has to be in the shade to see it well. A large hard top makes that easy in my case. Some times you have to use your hand for shade in order to see the screen well.

I use my iPad on the flybridge all the time. In direct sunlight it is a bit hard to read but most of the time it is just fine.

I use Garmin BlueChart mobile with Active Captain all day, every day. In addition I have a Rouge Pro WiFi booster antenna networked through a Net Gear router. Pretty much everything on the boat works through the router including the TV, Apple TV, other computers, iPhone, printer, etc.

I simply would not be without my iPad.

Best of Luck,
Arch

Our tablets are readable in shade and indirect sunlight, get's shakey after that. OTOH, these are back-ups to the back-up to the installed chartplotter, so not critical for our purposes.

FWIW, we've acquired a burn spot in the display on our iPod, presumably from heat since we stored it on the bridge a lot... although in an enclosed cubby at the helm, not in sunlight. I presume tablets using the same display technology would be equally at risk...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom