Remember Galaxy Girl ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG has come a long ways in little over a year from a newbie to making on offer on a 60 ft HAT, with children to support and take care off. I have been for her as my wife and I did sort of as same thing. We had a 5 bedroom house, with 3 children and 2 grandchildren living with us when we bought the Eagle. Being a bi/trans gender and small lake boating. 19 ft run about, experience we where not taken very serious. We bought the Eagle with no experience/knowledge of a 58 ft 40 ton long range trawler, but we want a dock side condo queen. Which is what GG is basically looking for at this time, to gain experience and knowledge. We had a goal and the means to reach that goal, and so does GG.

I am disappoint this forum that should be informing, helping and support newbie has little tolerance for them. :nonono:

GG has come a long ways in little over a year from a newbie to making on offer on a 60 ft HAT, with children to support and take care off. I have been for her as my wife and I did sort of as same thing. We had a 5 bedroom house, with 3 children and 2 grandchildren living with us when we bought the Eagle. Being a bi/trans gender and small lake boating. 19 ft run about, experience we where not taken very serious. We bought the Eagle with no experience/knowledge of a 58 ft 40 ton long range trawler, but we want a dock side condo queen. Which is what GG is basically looking for at this time, to gain experience and knowledge. We had a goal and the means to reach that goal, and so does GG.

I am disappoint this forum that should be informing, helping and support newbie has little tolerance for them. :nonono:

I'm disappointed with rudeness shown anyone on the forum, but both sides have to share some blame. That's generally the case. Newbies generally do better when showing humility rather than arrogance and accepting advice rather than arguing with it. Honestly, I think the entire $5000 deal was a bit of a grandstand, attention seeking move and didn't help her. And questions asked with no background or context given are difficult. Had everyone read her entire blog prior they might have been better equipped to replay but that's no one's obligation so a motivation for her to communicate more as part of the question.

She also was looking to be given the answer she wanted to hear and she got that more on the other site. Some sites are better for each person than others. You ask the same questions to different groups of people and you'll get different responses. This site is likely to give a more conservative answer and express concerns. And that can be good. I frankly believe some of the answers from sailboaters fail to consider some aspects of motorboats and issues she'll face. But ultimately it's her task to digest it all, choose the forum she's most comfortable with, and wade through the answers.

Well, whatever you can say about GG, she sure provoked the hell out of a lot of folks here and on other forums.

I for one believe in GGs dream.

I was her, but a guy, a single parent with a little kid.

I dropped everything, left my life and moved to Alaska on a whim.

People thought I was nuts, but I did it anyway.

If you don't dream, then dreams can't come true.

At least she has money. I arrived in Alaska with the sum total of $231 in cash, and a job waiting for me. That was October 1990.

Last edited:
At least she has money.

Kevin, initially I thought so too. But after awhile it began to seem otherwise as the boats became older, smaller and prices kept dropping.

But you are right, boating is for dreamers as well as those who feel they are realists. Look no further than the vessels sitting idle in the marinas for years on end.

GG will reappear on these pages, it will be fun.

You GG apologists, go back and read those threads and reflect a little. Remember the boat in Tahiti? The insistence on a passage maker? The $5000 offer? Any attempt by her to return the favor of your time and effort with anything, say help on a real estate deal or anything else? The helpful posts she spit upon? A "taker" in its purest form. Talk about rose colored glasses...

Well at least she knows who to turn to if she gets a Hatt 61. A very smart fellow Hatt owner! :hide:

Hey, over on the HOF I already gave her the name of an outstanding mechanic to do her engine surveys and recommended an excellent Hatteras-expert fellow to orient, maintain and captain her boat while it was in Florida. How much of that was being a helpful boater and how much was just feeling sorry for the boat... I dunno...

Hey, over on the HOF I already gave her the name of an outstanding mechanic to do her engine surveys and recommended an excellent Hatteras-expert fellow to orient, maintain and captain her boat while it was in Florida. How much of that was being a helpful boater and how much was just feeling sorry for the boat... I dunno...

Now that right there is funny....:rofl:

I'm disappointed with rudeness shown anyone on the forum, but both sides have to share some blame. That's generally the case. Newbies generally do better when showing humility rather than arrogance and accepting advice rather than arguing with it. Honestly, I think the entire $5000 deal was a bit of a grandstand, attention seeking move and didn't help her. And questions asked with no background or context given are difficult. Had everyone read her entire blog prior they might have been better equipped to replay but that's no one's obligation so a motivation for her to communicate more as part of the question.

She also was looking to be given the answer she wanted to hear and she got that more on the other site. Some sites are better for each person than others. You ask the same questions to different groups of people and you'll get different responses. This site is likely to give a more conservative answer and express concerns. And that can be good. I frankly believe some of the answers from sailboaters fail to consider some aspects of motorboats and issues she'll face. But ultimately it's her task to digest it all, choose the forum she's most comfortable with, and wade through the answers.

I don't take it as rudeness. People on this forum own boats and take care of boats and know what boats do. This lady wants to get on a big boat with 5 kids. And potentially cross the Gulf Stream! If she or her captain were to go anywhere we have been they would likely run aground. We are trying to tell them! Don't run aground! Listen to us!

I don't take it as rudeness. People on this forum own boats and take care of boats and know what boats do. This lady wants to get on a big boat with 5 kids. And potentially cross the Gulf Stream! If she or her captain were to go anywhere we have been they would likely run aground. We are trying to tell them! Don't run aground! Listen to us!

Note I said I just disapproved of rudeness in general. Now was their rudeness toward her? Being fair, yes there was some. What was being said was justified, but how said at times may have crossed the line. Note that while you responded to the rudeness disapproval much of the post related to how and why and things she said or did to get the reactions she did and also as to the fact I'd expect the concern here and questioning of her based on membership. This isn't a take your family, buy a rowboat, sail around the world forum. She wanted agreement more than opinion. Doesn't work like that.

Note I said I just disapproved of rudeness in general. Now was their rudeness toward her? Being fair, yes there was some. What was being said was justified, but how said at times may have crossed the line. Note that while you responded to the rudeness disapproval much of the post related to how and why and things she said or did to get the reactions she did and also as to the fact I'd expect the concern here and questioning of her based on membership. This isn't a take your family, buy a rowboat, sail around the world forum. She wanted agreement more than opinion. Doesn't work like that.

+1

As you can see from the link attached Galaxy bought a boat today. It looks like a very nice one.
I bought a boat today!!! | The Crazy Chronicles: 5 Kids and a Boat
Congratulations to her for living her dream. :thumb:
What say all the doubters on this forum now?

Doesn't change that she was all over the place, asked questions but didn't like answers, and regularly contradicted herself. Finally settled on boat. Had captain lined up, then had two to choose from, now needing one.

Have nothing against unorthodox people at all, but they can be difficult to communicate with sometimes and it's not always the other person's fault. Currently appears boat in Alabama, wants to get it to Florida, then maybe the Bahamas before home to Boston. Wish her the best of luck. However, hope she does respect how much she has yet to learn and can avoid trouble. It's not like finding free houses.

Greetings,
Mr. d. "What kind of anchor is that?" I assume, in spite of the fact, your question followed a post mentioning marriage that it did not refer to the institution but rather Ms. GG's boat bling. So who gets the $5K finders fee?

Yes, that is indeed a lot of boat to handle--more than I would take on solo. Is she cruising by herself with five children? One on my boat is enough! I simply can't believe she and her children have enough experience to take on this challenge. I wish her the best though!

In her blog it is interesting how she deals with her insurance, and her choice to get "unlimited" insurance as she calls it.. all from a new owner that has gone nowhere. I thought it was interesting that she picks a boat with twin 12V motors... not going too far I hope unless her budget is really serious in the fuel allotment line.

HOLLYWOOD

If she contacted me before her search began, my professional advice would had been to: put the boys in military school, buy a condo for the mother inlaw down in Florida, put the young kids with her, and then would had found her a cute little small boat, taught her to "bat her eyes" at all the men who would come rushing up to help her tie up everywhere she went until a new "Mr. Galaxy" could be hooked, then introduce him to the clan at the reception.:thumb: Then I would find them something late model in the 160' range.

about ten years ago I was dating a quite gorgeous suspiciously sweet girl from Colombia, and she said "next week I have a big surprise for you". Next week came-I answer the door, and there she is with the cutest little 6 yro. The first words out of his mouth were: "you going to be my daddy?". Well, if I didn't have a son graduating from high school that week, and her a daughter doing the same, and lived in a house vs a condo-maybe. Next one was a childless rich girl from Key Biscayne.:whistling:

Last edited:
Well, the key now is going to be her hiring of a captain. Should be interesting to say the least. I think she underestimates the time necessary just to get the boat ready to start plus finding a Captain and he or she getting everything ready. The plan is Alabama to Florida, perhaps to the Bahamas for part of the summer, then back home to the Boston area before school starts. I don't see all that fitting into the time period. Certainly possible but means getting it going quickly and moving fast.

Well guys, I have to say I told you so.

I never had a problem with her methods here. She would ask a question, and then question the responses. That's the same method I use all the time when learning about something. Ask a question, then dig into the reasoning behind the answer instead of just accepting the answer as fact.

The only thing limiting GG now is herself. Will she really like living aboard? That's the question only she can answer, and even she cannot answer it yet because this is so new to her.

Like all new boaters she will learn. She will make mistakes, and some of them will be costly mistakes. We've all made them, even if we don't admit to it.

I wish her and her kids all the best in their new adventure.

I never had a problem with her methods here. She would ask a question, and then question the responses. That's the same method I use all the time when learning about something. Ask a question, then dig into the reasoning behind the answer instead of just accepting the answer as fact.

The only thing limiting GG now is herself. Will she really like living aboard? That's the question only she can answer, and even she cannot answer it yet because this is so new to her.

Like all new boaters she will learn. She will make mistakes, and some of them will be costly mistakes. We've all made them, even if we don't admit to it.

You didn't find the $5000 thing a bit strange? I think that got her off to a bit of a strange start.

I think she's fine if she realizes her limitations and gets help from professionals when needed, choosing the right professionals.

You didn't find the $5000 thing a bit strange? I think that got her off to a bit of a strange start.

I think she's fine if she realizes her limitations and gets help from professionals when needed, choosing the right professionals.

I didn't take the 5k reward seriously, and it came after she'd been here for months asking questions.

I think honestly that there was some gender and situational bias going on. Few people take a single mom of five seriously. At least when it comes to big boat dreams. That bias is kinda understandable though. Not many single moms could pull this off.

I think she did great!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

She's certainly made it interesting and she's been very open. Exposing oneself as she has is brave as well and often going to get negative feedback. As you follow her more you get a sense of just her style. Perhaps like many who might annoy you until you knew them better. She's sure gotten her share of attention. Still discussed here when she long ago stopped posting here. She appears to have found a very nice boat. I know not the economy of a true trawler, but well equipped and capable of handling some rougher conditions. Also, capable of doing a quicker run if crossing to or from the Bahamas and conditions change.

Whatever the cause of her problems here I'm sure part were of her doing, part were people here and some were probably just an issue of demographics and match. Female in a male dominated forum, perhaps. I'm more inclined to believe age might have accounted for some of the differences as she is much younger than most here. Then just attitudes toward risk and/or adventure. Sometimes the fit just isn't there.

It's anything but a true trawler if indeed she bought it. A 63MY with twin 12v71's, 650hp a side. I know some people who are familiar with that boat in Mobile. Tellingly after a few hit and runs into the Hatteras Owners Forum, she avoided it in the end, bypassing people who really know these beasts, and would be dead honest with her, in favor for enablers on Cruisersforum who showed they know 0 about these boats. The saga will continue. A classic example of buying the biggest boat possible for the least amount of money. At least it has good bones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom