First post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlennW

Hello,
Just found this site and I am not familiar with Trawlers. Tons of great info on here and I am in the market (early stage) of moving up to a cruiser or?
Been a runabout/bowrider/skiboat owner all my life but looking to slow down and hang out on the hook.
What are the benefits of a Trawler over say a Sedan Bridge or simular boat?
I do like the looks of them but have never been on one. I have been on several sport cruisers, Sedans and houseboats.
I'm not on any major waterways, I boat very inland around Dallas,Tx. so there may be a draft issue.
Thx
G

Welcome GlennW,
** The first and foremost thing you have to ask yourself is "What do I want to do with the boat?"
** You can hang out "on the hook" on almost anything.* Benifits of a trawler to some might be detriments to others.* Want speed?* Not a trawler.* Want space?* Not necisarily a trawler.* Want economy?* Possibly a trawler if you discount initial higher purchase price.* Want less maintenance?* NOT any boat.
** If you're inland, maybe a houseboat would fulfill your needs.* If you want to coastal cruise maybe a motoryacht would fulfill your needs.* If you want to cross oceans, look for a well founded sailboat or purpose built blue water vessel.
** All depends what your goals are...

Which lake(s) are you going to boat on? Need to trailer from one to another? Texoma is huge! For just being on the lakes, even Texoma, I wouldn't see too much advantage to a trawler. Their big plus is great fuel mileage at the cost of speed. My first boat, a Sea Ray 36 aft cabin lives up on lake Ray Wiley Hubbard now I think. Very spacious inside with two cabins, room for 6 to sleep. I like diesel better, but gas wouldn't be a bad deal. You might tell us how many hours you think you might use it per year. You can get very good fuel mileage out of almost any boat just by slowing down. One piece of advice handed down for a long time... "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on, not the biggest you can afford."

Thanks for the input, My initial interest were the mpg/distance and durability of the engines that most come in. A very good friend just sold his 47' Jefferson PilotHouse that had Leimans that had over 3000 hrs on them and purred like new.
I understand or "so to say" notice that trawlers appear to be heavier so trailering may be a mute point.
My use would be get on it Friday nite and leave either Sunday nite or go to work from there on Monday. Yes unfortunately I have to work,..but I still enjoy what I do, check my biz website LG Services in my sig.
I am just weighing my options, I don't care for slipping, I would rather buy a used F450/550 to use to dry slip at the Marina and pull out and park 200 yards away from the ramp.
Most Marinas around here have courtesy slips that can be rented for as little as 10-15 dollars a nite, which I may not need if I am out on the hook or just too tired and lazy to load back on the trailer and come back the next day.
Back to reasoning, we (wife and I) enjoy being out on the water, in 08 which was our busiest year we spent over $10K on lodging while trailering to different lakes, not including the expense of owning a boat, gas , insurance, food and all the other things, but thats alot of money thats going out that all you have leftover is Kodak moments.
Granted it will always cost to boat, but lodging on it sure seems like a less expensive way to me.
Thx
G

I'm thinking a houseboat with a couple of outboards on it would be your most cost effective solution. Best SF to length and price ratio, and should do everything you want, based on what you've posted. A Holiday Mansion might be what you're looking for; FG hull, lots of room, trailerable within reason. Check them out. Lots of good buys out there now due to the economy. I/O's would work in fresh water as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom