Tide grid's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carey wrote:So many of my avid fishermen friends are also fish hogs, taking more than their share, just because they can.
Learned something new last month when we were halibut fishing up the north end of Vancouver Island.* The limit in BC is one per day with two in possessession.* When we came in with our first fish, a 40+ pounder, we were met at the dock by a girl from Canadian fisheries.* She had just graduated from college and was working for the fisheries department full time and was going to go on to get her advanced degree in whatever you study to know all about fish and marine life.* She was not enforcing licenses, she was collecting data on what was caught each day.

She asked us if we'd caught anything and I said yes.* She asked how big and I said, "I don't know, 60 pounds maybe."* Hey, it felt likd 60 pounds hauling it into the boat.* She asked, "Did you let it go?"* I looked at her like she was nuts and said, "No."

She kinc of winced and said, "Well, it's totally up to the fisherman but we encourage people to let halibut that are bigger than 60 or 70 pounds go."* The reason, she explained, is that all halibut that are this size and larger are females and each one carries 300,000 to 500,000 eggs.

As it turned out this first fish was only a bit over 40 pounds.* But the second one the next day was over 60.* The girl was there again but she didn't give us the "let them go" lecture again.* Actually, another group of fishermen came in the same time we did, and they had caught a 240 poiund halibut.* The father of the fellow that caught it runs a fishing resort near where we were and he told us that when they knew thay had a big one on (it took an hour to get it to the boat) they had this big debate--- should we do what we tell our guests to do and let it go or keep it?* WHen they got it up and saw how big it was they practiced what they preach and let it go.

So we all had an interesting discussion about halibut preservation while all of us were cleaning our fish at the cleaning station on the dock.* Having caught two, I had two in possession so I was done halibut fishing for this trip.* We could have bought a license for my wife and then caught two more but the two we got will last us for a long time and getting more would have just been cathing them for the sake of catching them.

A co-worker who has done a lot of halibut fishing in Alaska in Cook Inlet told me that a friend of his who is a guide there has told him that whle there are planety of halibut around up there they are mostly small ones.* The huge monsters that used to be common have been pretty much fished out.

So as much as an ego trip as it is to come in with a 80 or 120 or 200 pound fish we'll be letting them go from here on (assuming we actually catch any that big).

Incidentally, while the fisheries girl was encouraging people to let anyting over 60 or 70 pounds go, the official recommendation from Canada fisheries is anything over 90 pounds (my wife later read the notice in the office of where we were statying).

In case anyone is wondering how you can know the weight without landing the fish, there is a chart that shows lengths in inches and the corresponding average weights.* Halibut will often lie very docile next to the boat when you bring them up unless you touch them or pull their heads out of the water.* So it's not hard to get an accurate measurment of the fish while it's in the water beside you.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 18th of July 2010 01:43:56 AM

When I was on coastal freighters we used to anchor for days sometimes waiting for a processer vessel to accumulate enough product (salmon) to load and we would take the skiff out sport fishing. We would go for the 10 pound "chickens" as the best eating. Between the crabs, oysters, clams, salmon, halibut, and fresh berries it was a gourmet's table in those little coves and remote anchorages.

It seems Phill / Fill was the only one to provide any info on the original question, and he is correct in his advice.* There are several points to keep in mind when using the grid.** Make sure the prop (s) and rudder (s) are positioned between the timbers, and make sure the boat leans in slightly to the pilings.* I've been on boats that will fill several 55 gallon drums with water to provide the needed list. Pumping fuel to one side or the other will work too.* Make sure when running lines to the piles that they can't hang up on the way down or up.* Be sure to ride the boat all the way to touch down, rather than just tieing it off and coming back in five or six hours.* Once the boat has landed, add additional lines to the piles to secure it, then enjoy your almost free haul out while doing what you can to minimize your impact.* ....................Arctic Traveller

When reading the link Rick points us to, one needs to consider the source.* First, I am in no way saying that the cruise ships should be able to polute at will, or don't need regulation.* By way of background, I have some experience with polution regulations, having been the environmental manager at a California shipyard for many years.* The problem with the waste water regulations placed on the cruise ships was that the best available current technology was unable to meet the standards.* The limits were lower than for anyone else, including city waste water plants.* My understanding was that there was no reasonable way to meet the discharge standard despite using the best equipment currently available.* Again, my understanding was that the standard was lowered to what is acheaveable with the current technology with the provision that as new technology becomes available the standard will be revised.*

Secondly, Mr Choen was removed from the states waste water panel not because he wrote the unatainable regulations, but instead because he was exposed as having no professional academic scientific background.* If anyone doubts this, I can provide the references, as I worked a couple months ago for a captain who made the discovery, and exposed his lack of background.

Having said all that, I'm no cruise ship polution supporter. Having to live with belching generator smoke all summer isn't something anyone should have to do, but the process of regulation needs to be fair to all concerned.* And yes, I do get a portion of my income each year from the cruise ship industry, but I still believe we can all reduce our impact on the planet. Ok, I'm ready, fire away.....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

It seems Phill / Fill was the only one to provide any info on the original question

Considering SD's boat is single screw ex-fishboat, as long as it doesn't lean out from the pilings it doesn't matter where the screw or rudder sits. The screw is above the shoe and the shoe sits on the cross beams just like the keel. If the grid was covered by a huge steel plate or plywood sheeting it would work just the same.

Whatever it takes to keep it leaning toward the piles depends on the boat, the dock, and the owner's personal choice and what he decides after looking at his grid before using it. Everything else is chit chat.

-- Edited by RickB on Sunday 18th of July 2010 12:21:56 PM

RickB wrote:

Considering SD's boat is single screw ex-fishboat, as long as it doesn't lean out from the pilings it doesn't matter where the screw or rudder sits. The screw is above the shoe and the shoe sits on the cross beams just like the keel. If the grid was covered by a huge steel plate or plywood sheeting it would work just the same.
Your quite correct, having a single screw makes the process much easier, but having no idea if SD's boat was single or twin, I tried to cover all the bases.* With a little care, all should go well, but I saw a large fishing boat fall over on the grid last year.* Well, actually I saw it after it had fallen or laid over.* It was totally on it's side, and they brought in a huge fork lift used to move containers at first, but then realized the only way to save it was to get a crane.* It ended well, if not very expensively.* I later heard that the boat was left to settle on it's own, and when the owner returned, it had leaned the wrong way and fallen over.........................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

And yes, I do get a portion of my income each year from the cruise ship industry, but I still believe we can all reduce our impact on the planet. Ok, I'm ready, fire away.....................Arctic Traveller

Not much there to argue about. There is enough truth on both "sides" to keep the fires stoked forever. Aside from more heat than light, the process has improved the worst of things and growth has led to other issues.

Having watched the growth of commercial cruising in SE over the years, I have fewer and fewer issues with the technology and the culture onboard those vessels with regard to environmental* safeguards. The pendulum has swung wide the other direction and is staying there.

What has not changed, and is probably worse is the economic and social impact of the ports the ships visit. Large parts of Ketchikan, Juneau, and to a lesser degree, Skagway have become Disneyesque caricatures of a cruise director's imaginary Alaskan frontier town. The cruise lines own the souvenier shops lining the waterfront that sell the same junk jewelry they sell in the same store in the Caribbean when the ships move down there for the season. The profits sail away with the ships and the seasonal help goes back on unemployment. It is creepy to see.

There are equally good arguments to be made that the net result has been positive but only time will tell. Ketchikan and Sitka did well off the Japanese lumber market while it lasted but they did so at the cost of destroying a lot of the hillsides that cannot be seen from the deck of a cruise ship or transient yacht.

" I later heard that the boat was left to settle on it's own ..."
Well, Duh!

-- Edited by RickB on Sunday 18th of July 2010 05:14:35 PM

High tide was at 6:11 am saturday morning At about 6:30 I pulled up to the grid and just tied off to the pilings it took about 15 minits before I felt bottom. She settled down nice and straight.
Being over cautious I used every line on the boat from every cleat to make her fast.
Then I made a Pot of coffee and waited.
Takes the tide a long time to drop 6 feet.
I had More help and advice than you could imagine.
At the time tons of trailer boats were putting in at the ramp every one wanted to know if I had hit something or why I was on the grid.
Nope just changing the zincs. That is all I did no scraping no sanding. All I needed was a screw driver and 7/16 wrench. Oh yeah a 3/4" for the divers dream took about a half an hour.
Then I made lunch and sat around and watched all the trailer boats launch .
Commical how many had something go wrong. Dogs would be barking and people scrambling around to fix what ever problem they had.
I even had to fend one guy off of the grid.
At about 4:30 she floated I untied and went back to my slip. I did have time to tie a nice turks head to the ships wheel and re-rig all my shrimp gear. Bent my fid working a splice onto my anchor chain. All in all a pretty boring day .
What was I woried about?
Now. If you need to use a Tide Grid and have access to one. Need any advise? I'm your guy

SD

Sounds like my kinda day!

Hanging around a boat ramp can be very entertaining, I saw one guy launch his boat with trailer attached. The trailer came loose from the ball hitch, no safety chain of course.
Lots of boats in with drain plug out but then I've done that too, no big problem, but some folks just seem to go beserke.
Steve

Steve wrote:Hanging around a boat ramp can be very entertaining, I saw one guy launch his boat with trailer attached. The trailer came loose from the ball hitch, no safety chain of course.

They can be a hoot!

The launch with trailer attached would be funny if it didn't almost happen to me a couple of days ago. I have a little RIB that I keep on a small trailer. I attached the trailer to the van and put the padlock through the little hole in the latch lever, didn't bother with the chains since the ramp is only a block away and off I went. I backed into the water then remembered I forgot to put the plug in so pulled out far enough to get at it.

After waiting for the water to drain and installing the plug I walked back to the van and for some reason glanced down at the hitch because it looked funny. Yeah, it looked funny, the hitch was off the ball and pushed forward so the ball was resting behind the socket. Somehow when I attached it I missed capturing the ball but the latch caught and appeared to be normal.

I won't be so casual about hooking up the trailer from now on.*
hmm.gif

The real classic--- I've only seen it happen myself a couple of times--- is when they launch the boat, the trailer, and the tow vehicle.* We've seen a van in one case and a fairly new pickup in the other trundle on down the ramp into the water.* Needless to say, a dunking in salt water won't do one's vehicle any good.

We have always used a chock with the vehicles we've been launching our 17' Arima with since we bought it back in 1987. I have never understood why almost everyone overlooks the safety of keeping the vehicle out of the drink by simply putting a chock under the left front wheel when the trailer's back in the water.* Get out, put the chock under the wheel, launch the boat, pull the chock, get in, and drive back up the ramp.* It's not like it takes time, is complicated, or hinders launching the boat.** I've even had other people at the launch ramp see me put the chock under the wheel and say, "Now THAT's a good idea."* Like I'd just demonstrated the theory of relativity or something.* It seems like a no-brainer to me but maybe it isn't.....

Saw a good one last year.
The fellow forgot to raise the outboard. The ramp is a series of concrete slabs with a 6" gap between each. He pulled the boat up. Bang bang bang about 10 times . Sheared the little skeg right off the lower unit. I actually saw him hit himself on the forehead. The old I could have had a v8.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom