47' WIllard For Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. A. WOW! Thanks for that. That's about the best presented listing I've seen in many years. VERY nice vessel. VERY nice price as well for a 1967 model BUT could be good value for the $$. (Hard to tell from pic's). Sigh, if only....

throwing-money-away.gif

This boat was at the last two Willard Rendezvous in Anacortes. it is an amazing vessel that is in incredible care and condition. Truly a fine Yacht and the owners are wonderful people.

Shew!! I'm swoonin' here. A Portuguese-Bridge helm position!? That transom is kind-of a surprise….quite squared and in the water for my Willard expectations. Anybody want to buy a left nut?

Wow I've never seen you folk so happy.:D

Well it's my new screensaver. My boss just came in my office telling me something and I have no idea what he said .:ermm:

Lol!! Yes, exactly like that one :blush:

Well Capt. Craig, no excuses now. I am checking my calendar to see what dates are available for your re-christening party. You'll look good on the bridge.:thumb::D

Is it wrong to wish those 240HP JD engines were 85 HP JD engines?

It doesn't need those electronic engines, they are such a pain - fuel wasters. Granted, it's a pretty boat, but I'd rather have a Duck!

Capt. Abe: Not fair. You are in the enviable position of not only being able to say that, but to have the example.

In case you Willard fans had not already seen it, there's a new listing on YW for what appears to be a very nice 47' Willard:

1967 Willard Dover Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Is it wrong to wish those 240HP JD engines were 85 HP JD engines?

Re; engine size an other opinion. You only use as much HP to move boat as props need to do the job and that costs you one gallon diesel per 20 hp weather one or two motors. If you use less of a motors hp the motor should last longer provided all proper care including blowing out carbon on a regular basis. At idle the bigger engines may use more fuel but if you use proper management you should not be idling more than absolutely necessary. The reserve power on a trawler is also helpful for hydraulics bigger alternators etc.

Last edited:
Oh my! I'm in love! Worth every penny to me!

If one of you buy it open the turbos and look for water intrusion. I would have put a custom SS riser on that exhaust just to be 100% certain water runs down hill.

Slobber, Slobber. This looks like a dream-sicle without the stick. Whatever that would be. The equipment room electrics look like top notch craftmanship work. As an electrode myself I can appreciate that. Thanks for the post

In general she's a nice boat, which I've always thought just a little odd looking. The Pilothouse just sticks out a hair too much, looks too much like a phone booth......so......I looked some more and realized it's just the top. The pilothouse roof has no meat to it, it looks wimpy. All she needs is a visor about 3" wide bent round there and she would be perfect

I really like the full width saloon but I also want a hatch and ladder to get from the boat deck into the aft cockpit. And the raised panel pilothouse doors are a bit fussy....otherwise it's not bad....:thumb:

Great boat to be sure.

I would think an electronic engine would be MORE efficient.

I'm curious just how much of a Willard this boat is. I'm assuming it's hull was made by Willard and maybe all the rest of it and maybe none of it.

A boat designed by Ed Monk is called a Monk. Who builds it is not worth mentioning. Who designed this boat w at least the hull made by Willard dosn't seem to be worth mentioning either. Most boats are named according to who builds them but that's usually the whole boat. If the only thing Willard about this boat is the hull's construction (not even the hull design) then perhaps it should'nt be called a Willard.

However if Willard did the whole boat hiring a NA to do their drafting and engineering then the name Willard is entirely appropriate. And I suspect that is the case. I saw this boat last year and she's beautiful indeed.

Great boat to be sure. I would think an electronic engine would be MORE efficient.

Any diesel that is not turboed will last damned near forever. I have several. My naturals use lube tanks - you fill them once a week. Detroits are famous for using oil - but that's good. I'd rather put in oil than DEF every 50 hours! When the Feds demanded that over the road trucks change from 1500ppm fuel to 15ppm fuel (ULSD), we in the marine business were given extra years to finalize the switch (2010). Many countries still sell 1500ppm. My engines would starve for lubrication if I switched to 15ppm.

A boat designed by Ed Monk is called a Monk. Who builds it is not worth mentioning. Who designed this boat w at least the hull made by Willard dosn't seem to be worth mentioning either. Most boats are named according to who builds them but that's usually the whole boat. If the only thing Willard about this boat is the hull's construction (not even the hull design) then perhaps it should'nt be called a Willard.

This looks nothing like the typical Willard. I remember them building a 40 and there was a 50 on drawing boards. Once the mil contracts started rolling in, they dumped all recreational hulls.

In general she's a nice boat, which I've always thought just a little odd looking. The Pilothouse just sticks out a hair too much, looks too much like a phone booth......so......I looked some more and realized it's just the top. The pilothouse roof has no meat to it, it looks wimpy. All she needs is a visor about 3" wide bent round there and she would be perfect

I agree Todd,
The portuguese bridge seems to overwhelm the pilothouse. The balance isn't quite right.
But the interior systems are incredible. Soooo many hours of labour and love have gone into her.

Glad I wasn't the only one excited to see such a gorgeous Willard... Nor the only one confused by that square stern!

Animal,
Willard built a bunch of Navy Personnel boats like Uniflite did.
As I recall they were 33', 36', 40' and 50'. Willard may have only built the 40 and 50' personnel boats. I think FF's boat is one of them.
These were boats built to mil-specs having nothing to do w the pleasure boats built under the same roof. There were 33' cabin boats built to ferry officers about in harbors that were hard chine boats resembling the Uniflite pleasure boats. The Uniflite Vietnam jet powered riverboats were also hard chine and probably from the same molds.

But the Willard pleasure boats w their very rounded sterns had nothing to do w these other boats.

Thanks! That would also explain the relatively high horse power. As I have mentioned to you before, my interest lies more in smaller boats with double digit HP, such as the recreational Willards, Diesel Ducks, Great Harbours, etc. Figured all the Willard fans out there wouldn't want to miss this one though! Thanks for helping me understand why what I was looking at was so different than the others in shape and HP!

Last edited:
Reportedly Willard built 4 of these, I think all the others have a different house and no Portuguese bridge. This one, Nereid, is well known on the West Coast MV Nereid Willard Dover Pilothouse Trawler

The design is a semi-displacement, hard-chined vee-bottom by Blaine Seeley. Seeley was a big name at the time, mainly in semi-displacement boats but also doing full displacement hulls. The Meridian 48 (Columbia Yachts), the North Sea 38, the Pacific Trawler 37.

Here's his drawing of the 47' Dover

w47profile.jpg

Willard started as wooden boat builders, and moved to fiberglass in 59, with the Vega 36. By 1972 they had built over 50 custom fiberglass boats, including these 4 47's, a 52', 59', 75' by Dair Long, an 82' round stern triple-decker, and a 110' monster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom