Perkins t6.3544

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
Hello all, I have a 1987 Newburyport with Perkins t .3544 engine and would like to replace zincs as part of my routine maintenance to begin new season. Only problem is I just can't identify them. This is my 2nd season with the boat, moved her up from Annapolis last Spring (salt - brackish water) to Lake Ontario, fresh water. Have read from some sources there may be no zincs and would then have to tap some myself (with help from able mechanic). Any of you with same engine or knowledge of have advice? Thanks in advance for anticipated response. :thumb:

Hello all, I have a 1987 Newburyport with Perkins t .3544 engine and would like to replace zincs as part of my routine maintenance to begin new season. Only problem is I just can't identify them. This is my 2nd season with the boat, moved her up from Annapolis last Spring (salt - brackish water) to Lake Ontario, fresh water. Have read from some sources there may be no zincs and would then have to tap some myself (with help from able mechanic). Any of you with same engine or knowledge of have advice? Thanks in advance for anticipated response. :thumb:

There are generally none. . . the engine is cast iron. The only zinc is normally pencil zinc in the heat exchanger to protect the bronze tube stack and sometimes in the oil cooler same reason.

I am very familiar with the 354 Perkins and have never seen one with an anode, not even in the oil cooler or heat exchanger.

I suppose it may depend on the year and country of manufacture. The range version of the later Perkins engines had a different cooler system.

But the red arrow in the picture on this one is the cooler zinc. My zinc's are located where the yellow arrow is pointing on the cooler and I am the original owner.

The oil cooler zinc's are on most replacement oil coolers, but were not on the original oil coolers on mine at least.

Attachments

• 6-354pic2.jpg
    6-354pic2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I am very familiar with the 354 Perkins and have never seen one with an anode, not even in the oil cooler or heat exchanger.

I had one on mine. Lower (underside) aft end on the oil/trans raw water cooler. Changed it all the time, so I am pretty sure it had one. :blush:

Thanks all. Haven't been back down to the boat since posting but now will continue my search with provided info. Actually stumbled upon Perkins parts and service center at a machine shop right in my own back yard and they are researching for me with serial # of engine.
Good stuff this trawler forum!

I have a 1978 perkins 6.354 NON turbo and the zincs are in the same place as was pictured above.. easy to change...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom