Permission to come aboard...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opu

Vessel Name
Cheers
Vessel Make
Bayliner 32
I got started in this nautical venture by cruising with a buddy in Pacific northwest Canadian waters about 40+ years ago. I became interested in sailing and did a fair amount of ocean racing and cruising in my Catalina 27, but the last few years I found myself doing more powering and less sailing. I decided to go back to power and I'm looking for a trawler for the Admiral and me (she's not a fan of sailing). Recommendations gratefully accepted. :)

Dick
Currently reading the classified ads

Permission granted, with pleasure. Welcome aboard!
I`m too far away to make suggestions but others will. I suggest an idea of size, the location and type of use, accommodation you would like, flybridge or not, aft cabin, trunk or sundeck type, that kind of thing, even a price range. It might help to mention a boat that already took your eye.
Be cautious raising a single/twin engine debate, and extra cautious asking about the best anchor type. I`m sure I know both, but so does everyone, and the answers don`t always coincide

Welcome on board Dick
Gees Bruce you covered that pretty well
Cheers
Benn

Dick,

We ply the waters of the PNW mostly from the fly bridge of a single engine, wooden 32' Grand Banks with a Claw anchor, 60' of chain and 200' of nylon rode. That should cover all of the typical argument topics.

For what it's worth this combination is just about perfect for our cruising area. Come on out to Bellingham sometime and we can go for a cruise.

Cheers,
Bob & Jill

Dick,

We ply the waters of the PNW mostly from the fly bridge of a single engine, wooden 32' Grand Banks with a Claw anchor, 60' of chain and 200' of nylon rode. That should cover all of the typical argument topics.

For what it's worth this combination is just about perfect for our cruising area. Come on out to Bellingham sometime and we can go for a cruise.

Cheers,
Bob & Jill

You forgot galley up or down. :whistling:

Thanks, folks. Thought it was time to join in after lurking for a while.

As for BruceK's suggestions, my cruising area is southern California (I have a 34' slip in Oceanside Harbor). I've had my eye out for a Californian 34 for several reasons: two engines (Admiral likes the redundancy), good range for the waters I'll be using, accommodations for ourselves and the grandkids, and perhaps most of all, I know a couple of former owners who fervently wish they hadn't sold.

Dick
Looking, but not yet shopping

WELCOME!

Oh no we didn't start right into a anchor thread!?:dance:

Dick,

Cheers,
Bob & Jill

Thanks, folks. Thought it was time to join in after lurking for a while.

As for BruceK's suggestions, my cruising area is southern California (I have a 34' slip in Oceanside Harbor). I've had my eye out for a Californian 34 for several reasons: two engines (Admiral likes the redundancy), good range for the waters I'll be using, accommodations for ourselves and the grandkids, and perhaps most of all, I know a couple of former owners who fervently wish they hadn't sold.

Dick
Looking, but not yet shopping

Oh!!! I like this new kid already!!

Welcome, Dick! You have good taste.

Oh, you're off to a good start. I too am a Californian LRC 34 owner. You have good taste. The boat is fabulous but not without a few issues. I like you, but am willing to be honest it's not perfect. That said there are an infinite number of inferior boats on the market. What attracts you to a Californian?

Oh!!! I like this new kid already!!

Welcome, Dick! You have good taste.

Of course! Al's Californian 34 LRC:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv68%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3A5398%3C565336nu0mrj

Good for cruisin' and fishin' according to Al:

img_235472_1_9f73ce3495ca83fe40df2d493d814dfa.jpg

Hmm. Accommodations, two engines, sturdy construction, good looks, price, recommendations from friends. The LRC seems to be pretty much the smallest vessel with twin diesels. As a soon-to-be-former-sailor with both sails and an engine, I like the redundancy, although I know that many don't see that as a requirement.

Dick

Hmm. Accommodations, two engines, sturdy construction, good looks, price, recommendations from friends. The LRC seems to be pretty much the smallest vessel with twin diesels. As a soon-to-be-former-sailor with both sails and an engine, I like the redundancy, although I know that many don't see that as a requirement.

Dick

A new single-engined boat is less expensive than a new double-engined boat. Seems to make little price difference, however, on the used market. Still, welcome to double-engine maintenance costs. ... Dual-helmed, dual-engined boats are ubiquitous. Seems like most everyone had/has/wants one.

Welcome aboard :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

We moved from our Union 36 to a CHB Europa. The space increase is incredible! The 2 engine debate is like the cutter/ketch debate. It's religous, all about beliefs. Keep lurking, keep looking, a boat will call your name (it will sound like the admiral saying "this is the one".)

Welcome Aboard!

Always great to see new boats, but imagine my surprise when I saw your profile pic. I thought I was looking at a pic of my own boat at first. :)

The Californian 34 LRC is an awesome boat. I never found one East of the Miss. that I liked. They seem to be a west coast boat....at least the ones in good condition.
Bill

Bob, my bride and I just signed the docs on our vessel last Friday. She is in Bellingham indefinately. We will be traveling from SoCal as often as possible to outfit her ( not retired). She is slipped at nw exploration docks. We are planning to do some cruising during the season in the San Juan's. Any recommendations for a rookie to this area. Already got the wagoners. Thx for the help,

Bob, my bride and I just signed the docs on our vessel last Friday. She is in Bellingham indefinately. We will be traveling from SoCal as often as possible to outfit her ( not retired). She is slipped at nw exploration docks. We are planning to do some cruising during the season in the San Juan's. Any recommendations for a rookie to this area. Already got the wagoners. Thx for the help,

Congratulations! The people at NW Explorations are great. Pick their brains about places and itineraries for a rookie on up to an old salt. Getting rookies into cruising that area is their specialty. Perhaps you could go in company with one of their charters.

Congratulations! Which boat? We are in gate 6 down by the boathouse.

If your going to be picking up moorings,as opposed to anchoring,get a twin engine

Back
Top Bottom