High Security Private Storage (non-boat)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC Escher

Most of us are familiar with public storage, which while handy cannot exactly be considered to be highly secure.

What about truly high security storage though? Something that might be considered "Premium" or "Executive" storage.

The characteristics would include the following:

• Secure, limited access.
  • Strong physical security.
  • Close proximity to Police & Fire services.
  • Automated access and alarm systems; not dependent on grid power or telephone hard lines.
  • Automated non-water based Fire suppression systems.
  • Non-Governmental, non-banking related, with no reporting requirements. True private sector.
  • Located outside of urban centers in semi-rural area.
  • Does not require extensive personal information or SSN to lease.
  • The ability to place your own TL-TR-TX class of safe inside the storage unit.

I'm not talking about a place suitable for storing extra furniture. Nor am I talking about illegal use. (Drugs, etc)

Instead, this would be a place to store assorted items that are too valuable for ordinary public storage and which the owner can not place in a safe deposit box; either due to size constraints (a painting or vase) or simple preference.

I have looked quite a bit and I cannot seem to find anything of this nature.

Does anything like it exist?

If it did, am I the only person who might wish to avail myself of the service, or are there other people who like the idea truly private, secure storage outside of the home and which does not involve a bank and all of it's regulatory and reporting issues?

This probably won't help but - OPM has a storage facility in PA in an old mine. Officially, it's for storage of files. Unofficially, according to my brother who works for OPM and has visited the facility, there are a lot of personal possessions stored there by the "well connected."

So ... maybe there are other mine shaft storage facilities. Or, we may have a mine shaft gap!

Attachments

• DrStrangelove060Pyxurz.jpg
    DrStrangelove060Pyxurz.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 78
Secure, private storage facilities exist but by their nature don't advertise. Contact an art broker to locate them. The truly private ones will not be located by those outside the circle.

Originally I was looking for one for my personal use.

Now I wonder if I haven't found an exploitable market niche.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any sort of direct experience with a place like this. I'm interested in knowing essentially two thing; the amenities and the cost.

There'd have to be a market for it before it'll be financially viable as a business model. And that means located close to a major urban and financial area. NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. Podunk City probably couldn't carry the freight of the overhead.

I've been in some storage facilities that had more security, temp and humidity control, etc than others. You pay for what you get, sometimes.

am I the only person who might wish to avail myself of the service, or are there other people who like the idea truly private, secure storage outside of the home and which does not involve a bank and all of it's regulatory and reporting issues?

Sorry, the moment you say that I'm bothered by the fact that you're circumventing reporting and regulation. Wanting to not give your id and personal information. The places others have mentioned will require that. You're looking for some form of underground storage for shady operators. Other than the fact of that, I will warn you about one thing. Those who will provide such storage, not require information or id, work with those who might be storing something legally not theirs or something they are hiding (perhaps from spouse or courts), at that point you know the kind of place and don't bet they won't take from you either. After all, how do you report stuff was stolen that was never there.

Let me clear a couple of things up.

1) I am looking into this because my search as a CUSTOMER has led me to believe that there may be opportunities as a PROVIDER.

2) I'm am not looking to circumvent anything. You can't circumvent something you aren't required to do. There is no law that I am aware of that requires storage providers to REPORT anything or to keep records any more comprehensive than contact information. In fact, asking a client for his Social Security Number before renting him storage is ITSELF a violation of Federal Law. Not that anyone ever paid attention to that law...

3) I'm not looking to provide storage to "shady characters", nor would such a service be particularly useful to drug dealers, gun smuggler, holders of stolen merchandise and the like. What I AM doing is looking into providing a perfectly legal service to people who want to QUIETLY store perfectly legal items.

Could someone use such a service to break the law? Perhaps so. I can think of a couple of ways that such a service could be improperly used during a divorce.

It could also be used to hide gold, silver or jewelry. Remember, the US has ALREADY gone through a gold confiscation (Under FDR, who wished to devalue the currency) and if you think it can't happen again you are a good deal more trusting than I am.

So let's set all this talk of illegality aside. NOTHING I am talking about is illegal.

I have looked quite a bit and I cannot seem to find anything of this nature.

Does anything like it exist?

Yes, it's called Switzerland. They do those things very well.(or used to)

The German government made great use of it in the earlier part of the last century.

Steve,

Thank you. That is along the lines I was thinking and although a far larger and fancier operation than I envision, it is certainly a start in my research into what is already being done.

Let me clear a couple of things up.

1) I am looking into this because my search as a CUSTOMER has led me to believe that there may be opportunities as a PROVIDER.

2) I'm am not looking to circumvent anything. You can't circumvent something you aren't required to do. There is no law that I am aware of that requires storage providers to REPORT anything or to keep records any more comprehensive than contact information. In fact, asking a client for his Social Security Number before renting him storage is ITSELF a violation of Federal Law. Not that anyone ever paid attention to that law...

3) I'm not looking to provide storage to "shady characters", nor would such a service be particularly useful to drug dealers, gun smuggler, holders of stolen merchandise and the like. What I AM doing is looking into providing a perfectly legal service to people who want to QUIETLY store perfectly legal items.

Could someone use such a service to break the law? Perhaps so. I can think of a couple of ways that such a service could be improperly used during a divorce.

It could also be used to hide gold, silver or jewelry. Remember, the US has ALREADY gone through a gold confiscation (Under FDR, who wished to devalue the currency) and if you think it can't happen again you are a good deal more trusting than I am.

So let's set all this talk of illegality aside. NOTHING I am talking about is illegal.

For Art, Christie's. Jewelry, banks.

But nothing secretive. As a provider if you choose to make it all secretive, no id's, no information, then you'll get customers by adverse selection. Those who have nothing to hide will go to the existing places, those who want to hide something will come to you.

Risk to you. High. Let's say as part of money laundering someone stores valuables there. Then you might be pulled in as an accessory. At least accused. Divorces.

Now as to how you advertise and promote your business, I have no idea. How do you market something secretive?

There are facilities to store valuables but they do require driver's licenses, id's. They get most of their customers on referral. Their insurance costs are astronomical. They require all people using their facilities to record what is stored and to insure it and show proof of insurance. They have tons of security and keep videos. Oh and if you're not US, they copy your passport.

And when payments start coming to you in cash, topping $10,000, then you'll have to report those. Oh, and the suspicious transaction box, will you check it?

You can't look the other way and still feel safe. If you have unscrupulous customers you're at risk from them and law enforcement. The banks use to look the other way, deposit all the money you want, we don't care where it comes from. Can't now.

If you're going into such a storage business, 100% documented, clean, no exceptions is the only way to do it.

Now if you're serious about this, I'd advise consulting with a lawyer who can tell you what they feel your obligations and exposure is. But the last thing you want to get into is in some way aiding and abetting criminals. It's a dangerous life. Worst thing that could ever happen to you in your life would be to see criminal activity going on. Then you're a risk to the criminal. This is an element you don't want to be dealing with.

Let me give you a simple example. Someone brings jewelry into your storage. Then turns around and sells it. You see he and the buyer enter. FBI is aware and tracking. They come to question you. Do you tell all you know? If so you're now a risk to the criminals and you know what can happen. Do you lie to the FBI? Talk and ask for witness protection?

My father had a client years ago who bought a hotel in partnership with a florist he knew. The florist then decided to buy his part and gave him notes. Florist doesn't pay. Client is going to Washington for a meeting with Florist and his partner. Car makes the airport. Man found in Lake a few months later. The client did nothing illegal but he knew the people he was dealing with were shady. Easier to kill him than pay.

Yes, it's called Switzerland. They do those things very well.(or used to)

Swiss privacy (even tho its in their constitution ) has collapsed.

Today Vienna has taken up the slack for private safe deposit boxes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom