Engage brain before boarding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ran aground six times during my sailboating days (no assistance requested or provided). Four times one night. Always during rising tides (I'm blessed). Last time had to lay an anchor to keep from being pushed on the beach. That's not counting dragging the keel through the mud in the Petaluma River/Slough and Napa River with the Coot. I appreciate having (by design) keel-protected propeller and rudder.

img_191088_0_ff25ba11f3dc8372ead1a4b2894871a6.jpg

Last edited:
Wasted Impeller

Here is what happens with just 15 minutes with no water on the impeller.The vanes are not even touching the casing anymore. :banghead:

Attachments

• Raw water pp.jpg
    Raw water pp.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Bad Good impeller.jpg
    Bad Good impeller.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for sharing. Burnt impeller is a probability. I did that one day on a previous boat when I launched at the start of the season. My new rule... when the intake is off the keys are hooked onto the intake handle. If I'm so stupid as to go into the engine room and get the keys without opening the seacock... well let's hope I'm not THAT stupid or you all would be wise to avoid me on the water .

Dave

On my throttle/gear shift controls I have two Turks-head rope rings... Red is on the side my red markers should be on -- helps, especially at inlets where things swap. The blue one (wish it were green) is on one of the spokes for my wheel when the seacock is closed after shut-down. Normally it's on the opposite knob from the Red channel marker, so for me it's a visual clue. I need those. Remove the blue and open the seacock for the engine. Simple.

Follow up report on grounding

This is the update to the grounding we had in the fall. The props were the only thing damaged and I believe that occured when I tried to power off the bar I landed on. The bottom had oyster shells in the mud. Luckly I have a shiny new set staged as spares. Now I just have to find a good prop shop so I can have spares ready for the next time.

Attachments

• SDC13049.jpg
    SDC13049.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 60
  • SDC13051.jpg
    SDC13051.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 66
  • SDC13052.jpg
    SDC13052.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC13057.jpg
    SDC13057.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 66
Whoaaaaa on the salvage, soft groundings and such....

Any tow company that has to work 4+ hours on a tow could have easily called it salvage if you wanted off...peril or not...they could have charged you for it despite being a tow member.

The difference in Sea Tow and Boat US is how the franchise pay is set up. Sea Tow franchises pocket the majority of member dues while Boat US it all goes to their National Org. No Sea Tow franchise owner is gonna let his captain pull on you for 4+ hours...the boat will come, assess and leave it it ain't gonna happen. Boat US franchises will tend to stay many times and pull, because all their time is billed back to their National HQ. So the longer they stay, the more money they make.

Boat US basic membership that covers $50 or so will barely let you get through a phone call to them...you have to get towing insurance if you want to ever be towed/ungrounded for free.

I left at sunset yesterday to unground a 45 foot power cat. The site was about 7 miles away through some long no wake zones....before I left I told my boss that the chances of me getting him off based on his position was not likely, but we go anyway...like most/all franchises. Sure enough, he was hard aground and I would be stuck if I stayed more than a few minutes. The professional captain aboard and I discussed his exit route and by the time was all said and done...we decided that I needed to come back near high tide which was well after midnight.

I went back earlier after studying the tide cycle, pulled him off and across all the sandbars till we were in deep channels leading to a marina. Unfortunately it was shortly after midnight and the ICW bridge was unmanned and we had to reverse course southbound on the ICW several miles...running the unmarked channels (because the USCG pulled the channel buoys for the winter) and headed to the next town south where I got him tied up at a marina.

The whole ordeal as far as boat towing insurance could have stopped back when I showed up and decided he had to wait for the next tide...that's what membership usually covers. A non member would have paid the franchise I work for $700 for me to show up and tell him what I knew when I was safe back on my trawler before ever leaving the dock...ungrounding wasn't gonna happen with the rapidly falling tide. As it turns out...I did the return trip as agreed upon, soft ungrounded the Cat and led him to a safe dock (slightly outside my area of coverage) and the bill to him was zero, as a non member he would have paid $1940.

For all posters...be aware that travelling the NJ ICW after Oct 15th you may encounter areas where navigation buoys are pulled, lights are removed from daymarks and bridges are allowed to close till morning after a given time in the evening...I think it's outrageous!!! There are still local here that need those services let alone any travelers that may have no idea that the government would abandon part of the US intracoastal system...sorta like shutting down bridges, tolls and lights on the US Highway system without notice.
Boating in Little Egg and Tuckerton (NJ) I can say your statement about the NJ ICW buoys being pulled early is 100% correct. Many of us still cruise well into December. The US Boats guy and the SeaTow guy in Little Egg are great. They usually are on the scene of accidents while the USCG is still asking their repetitive questions.....
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom