Stern Heavy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Often varying the trim of the vessel will result in some unexpected consequences...such as sink maintains a puddle of water, shower only drains when everyone is on the bow, bilge pump sump dry but water forward in the bilge. I would check on those type of potential consequences before doing anything.

Often varying the trim of the vessel will result in some unexpected consequences...such as sink maintains a puddle of water, shower only drains when everyone is on the bow, bilge pump sump dry but water forward in the bilge. I would check on those type of potential consequences before doing anything.

Thanks, I'll keep a 'weather eye' out for such things.

The low stern problem arose from previous owners who put an extra 40 gallon fuel tank in the lazarette, the addition of a swim grid, a Livingston fiberglass dinghy on weaver davits on the back edge of the swim grid, and then we put a 9.9hp kicker on the swim grid as well...that's a lot of weight hanging off the back end that Badger wasn't originally designed for.

This was just am interesting thread until I filled up both my tanks for the first time.

Now I TOO, am heading in the stern.
Bow is about two inches above bottom paint, stern is about two inches below.

With my fat rear end, it's not that noticeable, so I will do absolutely nothing about it.

I think everybody would agree a boat would suffer in heavy seas if it were out of trim.

How does one determine proper trim?

And is one state of trim best for all things? Probably not.

Where is TAD?

Many factors go into developing the "desired trim" on any vessel. Handling, safety and economy should all be considered on each vessel. I find being light in the bow increases difficulty in maintaining a point and decreases the pivot point of my boat. I would suggest "Stability and Trim for the Ship's Officer" by John La Dage it has been my go to reference on the matter of longitudinal stability for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom