Merged:Northern Yacht/Oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
We watched them launch this 90' in Anacortes today. Man is it tall!

ForumRunner_20140517_230528.jpg

Looks big!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Bob-you got the tall part right! I have never been a fan of the Northern Marine. All their models are very high bowed, and, to me, do not have pleasant looking lines. We looked at a 65' a few years ago, and were quite surprised at how small it felt inside. It was only 2 cabins, and felt very cut up and the living areas did not seem to flow smoothly. That said, they are solidly built, a bit on the heavy side, boats.

I always wonder if boats that tall are more stable upside down. I also suspect in a fair breeze they can sail. The view interior room and luxury must be great.

I just heard this wonderful yacht sunk when launched.

Can anyone confirm this...

Photos?

Just saw it on the news. One person was rescued from the bilge. Picture shows it on its side next to the dock. News report put it at ten million dollars.

Someone forgot to put the plug in. :facepalm:

Glad no one was hurt.

Isn't it good practice to spend a few minutes on the slings (or whatever launching method) to make sure that the boat is actually going to float? I and everyone i know always does. perhaps her size didn't make that possible?

Just saw it on the news. One person was rescued from the bilge. Picture shows it on its side next to the dock. News report put it at ten million dollars.

Got a link to the news station you heard it on?

UPDATE! So after we left they put her in the water at about 9 pm. She rolled over on her side and sank to the bottom of the marina! Interesting that she was listed for sale as the owner had changed his mind and it sinks at launch. Coincidence?

KIRO TV has it on their website.

UPDATE! So after we left they put her in the water at about 9 pm. She rolled over on her side and sank to the bottom of the marina! Interesting that she was listed for sale as the owner had changed his mind and it sinks at launch. Coincidence?

KIRO TV has it on their website.

Well, the article says the person buying it was heartbroken. There are many things that make me uncomfortable about them and this certainly adds to that.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/6-people-rescued-capsized-boat/nfy8j/

Last edited:
Something tells me this has the potential of being very ugly. Boat not yet delivered so still property of Northern. Yet, the buyer would have paid a very substantial percentage of that cost already. Assume the builder has insurance to cover, but assumptions are dangerous. Meanwhile buyer will have to try to get their money back and that could be difficult. Plus Northern will be responsible for any salvage costs. The good news there so far is no fuel leak.

What damage? Will Northern try to rebuild/repair? Will buyer be held waiting? Let's see, so far we have involved: Builder, Buyer, Coast Guard, Salvage, Builder's Insurer. Could easily add to that more than one team of lawyers before it's all resolved. Perhaps Insurer's lawyers, builder's lawyers, buyer's lawyers.

As to Northern's business and reputation, I can't imagine this being anything less than devastating to a company probably not doing all that great to start with.

I wonder if it was a craning problem, or if the boat had some massive stability blunder in it's design.

It was not launched with a crane. They have a large ramp just down the road from the assembly building. the photo above shows the trucks used during launch.

Not funny but my earlier post was of my first thought when I looked at the massive height of that boat and wondered would she be more stable upside down.

You're not the first to comment on it's height and question stability. Also it has five windows very close to the waterline, that are very odd to me. Unlike any of their other boats. I have a friend who took a photograph of the boat last week during Trawlerfest.

It sounds like a trailer problem, hydraulic malfunction? It seems to have still been on the trailer when she heeled over. At that point she would have little reserve stability (none!) as the forward part of the hull was out of water.

But those ports are scary close to the waterline.....yowser!

It sounds like a trailer problem, hydraulic malfunction? It seems to have still been on the trailer when she heeled over. At that point she would have little reserve stability (none!) as the forward part of the hull was out of water.

But those ports are scary close to the waterline.....yowser!

Could be trailer. One side lowers, one doesn't, so basically dumps it. And add some topheaviness and all the easier.

I can't see the trailer. Honestly, having a hard time seeing where they launched it and how. All I see is the docks.

Yes, look at the way some of their other boats run, those ports would be very wet during cruising.

Last edited:
Tad I think you are spot on. We watched for over an hour while they were trying to sort out the rear trucks. Very precarious looking during transit to say the least. I will post more photos later.

Take a look at the forward trucks, tires are nearly bursting. Also look at the support from the rear shot. Very little stability provided once in the water.

ForumRunner_20140519_105441.jpg

ForumRunner_20140519_105456.jpg

ForumRunner_20140519_105510.jpg

ForumRunner_20140519_105521.jpg

ForumRunner_20140519_105534.jpg

I can't see the trailer. Honestly, having a hard time seeing where they launched it and how. All I see is the docks.

Check it out on Google Earth and you can see the launch site which matches the covered boat houses in the photos & video. A bit of a tortuous journey just to get to the water. Go to the address 319 34th st. Anacortes.

Sorry, 310 34th St. Anacortes.

Just bad no matter the reason.

Attachments

• BoAd4zxIUAAfCYf.jpg-large.jpg
    BoAd4zxIUAAfCYf.jpg-large.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 197
Looks like pretty sad equipment to be moving it to the water on. Down the street on little dollies basically. I don't even understand how they'd get from the street to the boat at the water to the boat in the water. Looks like just the crane in front probably then just lets it ease in. Well supposedly ease. This time, not.

$10 million 90 footer... must have been some spiffy fit and finish on the interior!

Dave

Large volume fuel and/or water cross-over valve open?????

It's really hard for me to see how this could be anything other than a major stability blunder. I can't imagine a boat where some tank imbalance can flip it. And if a cross over line being open can cause a boat to flip, it's got a real problem.

We were in Westport, WA before the launch of a big guy. Two dollies (48 tires), a boat ramp and a loader using a crane as an additional break. Pretty old school with a big wow factor. Lena's standing by the front dolly.

Attachments

• travel 002.jpg
    travel 002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 164
  • travel 003.jpg
    travel 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 182
Back
Top Bottom