1983 CHB with 46 hours??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were to use those three emoticons I would have used the third one first and the second one third.

See. I said I was no good with emoticons…

So…are we ok Eric..?

Last edited:
Well the bit of news here is I put her under contract for me. I'll know soon what kind of shape she is in. If I buy her it will be to do what is needed and resell her, wish me luck. Hey I've done this before but the huge difference is they were on my coast and they were my boats to fiddle with for years.

Great news Daddyo! No risk, no reward....

We'll all be very interested to find out what state she is in, especially as so many seemed to assume many systems will be shot from lack of use. I personally think she will be in quite good nick, but willing to accept she may not be. Nothing like hands on over looking at pics.

Peter wrote "So…are we ok Eric..?"

Oh definitely. You're a super guy Peter and it's hard to stay mad at you for long.

Good luck, DaddyO! I'm rooting for this boat. The boat must have a more interesting history than 46 hours suggest. Installing a bow thruster after four years of ownership suggests that they planned to move in and out of the marina more frequently. That didn't seem to happen. Then you start to think the owners might come to the conclusion that boating wasn't really for them and it might be time to sell. But they kept the boat for 25+ years with all the expenses that would incur just sitting at dock. So that suggests the boat may have been well loved and served its' owners pleasure in other ways beyond cruising. I can't wait to hear the real story! Hope things go well with the survey. She is one in a million whatever the results are.

The thing is you just never know until the survey.

I live in the land of 20 year old cars with 40,000 miles on them. Only driven by little old ladies back and forth to church. Seriously, it may not be that extreme but in South Florida there are so many cars purchased when people move here from NY and rarely driven. Nice, luxury cars. Until you have a mechanic look, you don't know. There are even dealers who follow the obituaries. I know someone recently who bought a 1988 Rolls Royce Corniche fully original, always garaged, 44,000 miles, for $20,000 recently. But then we put less than 4,000 miles a year on each of our cars.

It could be wonderful or it could be seized. Hopefully wonderful.

Well I've been here for two days staying on the boat and going over every inch of her. My God she is a 1983 almost completely as per the day she was built! You guys really missed on this one. Her decks are as new. No leaks anywhere. Tanks look like brand new. Engine runs like a Lehman with 46hours on her! The tranny shifts instantly and firmly. Zero extra wires, etc. I'll send pictures soon. This boat thinks RR is still in the White House!! The boat is almost due for it's post break in valve adjustment, oh:rolleyes: the maintenance. She has a 1990 Livingston Dingy that has been in the owner's garage for 24 yrs, never touched the water. I am sitting beside the 1990 Yamaha two stroke that is still in it's original box:dance:. The (1) radio is the original Sea Hawk 64 as is the only other piece of electronics, the Ranger 360 echo sounder. Both look and work as though they came out of the box today. There appears to have never been any water in any part of the bilge, ever! The controls are here for the bow thruster but never hooked up! The anchor has never been used. The bummer is the doors to both of the heads are gone, as is the windlass that was never used but removed for brightwork and the owner is dead so no idea. The same goes for the two missing doors.

Last edited:
That is great news, what a find...you took a chance and it will surely pay off. Nice

Interesting to hear, and as I semi-expected...thanks for the update Daddyo. A good punt, that was...

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like it will flip nicely Mark. I would have beat you to it where the wife on board for a trunk cabin. Well bought :thumb::thumb:

Pictures! We need pictures!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Ahhh, but reality seeps in as you are running a business Daddyo. Can you turn a buck or two on it is the question after paying for your purchase, storage, fixup and sales costs. A few of us may be into acquiring perfect low mileage older cars and pickups and then sale time comes along-------.

A few of us may be into acquiring perfect low mileage older cars and pickups and then sale time comes along-------.

Problem is, I can never sell em...now that boat of Daddyo's? I'd have to keep it :socool:

Here is all of the electronics! Apparently this is what our engine rooms looked like once upon a time.

ForumRunner_20140518_213316.jpg

ForumRunner_20140518_213348.jpg

ForumRunner_20140518_213020.jpg

ForumRunner_20140518_213109.jpg

Hey Craig, my wife wanted an aft cockpit boat also, so we waited until one came along, but it was a long wait. Your family are now of an age (I think) where more privacy and room might go down well. Maybe you should jack up a viewing of it with Daddyo (if it's not too far away), and take the wife along, "just out of curiosity to see what's out there thats just that bit bigger...and maybe affordable..?"

Primitive is good!! Mirrors our simple little craft.
AL

Does anyone know who made the ports for these? She needs new gaskets.

The CHB Europa we are buying has less than 1500 hours on the engines! She's a 1979 and we are the third owner. The oil analysis came back clean and other than the high pressure diesel pumps needing service she looks good. Sometimes you just get lucky (if your patient enough!)

That's great! Our 1981 DeFever has 5400hrs much of that is my fault in the last few years :). Low is good.

Does anyone know who made the ports for these? She needs new gaskets.

Daddyo, I have an 83 Chung Hwa built boat and have searched for ports of the same size and never had any luck. I never found a manufacturer name on them. If you make any progress, please share it with is.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Gardico Inc in Seattle is making the gaskets for me. $12 per port. Called them today, they are ready for pickup tomorrow :)

Progress!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Well for those who care to see her, she is now listed. I'll leave the shameless link for someone else to post. I don't want to cross any lines:)

Good luck Mark, Somebody is going to get an interesting boat. She deserves to have some miles under her keel'

She is gorgeous!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

I really like that boat :thumb:...just sold my 66 chevy fire truck, had 5400 original miles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom