Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sht - Brother Matt - Please, do post all picts you may have! RT will prob come up with some obtuse exploitation of his mid finger post. Doubt he meant anything bad with it. Ya know he's a bit off center... aren't we all on TF... keeps things interesting, at the very least!! :dance:

Lol I'll always post pics and updates mate. I Was just going to be creative on Photoshop around the helm area lol

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Don't suppose you have a full helm shot do you mate?

Matt, I'm not certain that there is a full helm shot of the present Moonstruck. Here is a picture of the way I laid out the helm on the last Moonstruck. A very similar concept.

Attachments

• Caper helm.jpg
    Caper helm.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 119
Matt, I'm not certain that there is a full helm shot of the present Moonstruck. Here is a picture of the way I laid out the helm on the last Moonstruck. A very similar concept.

Cheers mate. I'll do some photoshop work on the helm I want with the gauges moved like you said and see how it looks

Last edited:
Finally found one. At 26 knots it takes full attention in narrow channels. It is important to me to have chart and radar visible at a glance. The engines instruments are on the flat section of the panel directly below. Also plenty of alarms.

Attachments

• DonAtHelm (640x480).jpg
    DonAtHelm (640x480).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Looks like you're go'in rather fast for a narrow channel Don.

Judging by your angle of attack only.

Finally found one. At 26 knots it takes full attention in narrow channels. It is important to me to have chart and radar visible at a glance. The engines instruments are on the flat section of the panel directly below. Also plenty of alarms.

Thanks Don.

Don - Looken Good! Morse throttles seem centered. At 26 knots what rpm and how much more to WOT? How many knots at WOT?? Get it on young man! :dance:

Matt, whatever you end up with, it's gonna look a lot more fancy and less agricultural than mine, so take a gecko at this, and take heart…
I'm not ashamed of my set-up…it's what I got, so I make do...and major alterations, while possible, would not have made the boat go any better, and other things needed attention more, that would…ah..that's not me in the 2nd pic...

Attachments

• Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Matt, whatever you end up with, it's gonna look a lot more fancy and less agricultural than mine, so take a gecko at this, and take heart…
I'm not ashamed of my set-up…it's what I got, so I make do...and major alterations, while possible, would not have made the boat go any better, and other things needed attention more, that would…ah..that's not me in the 2nd pic...

Not trying to out fancy anyone. Just trying to find a balance between my taste and what is practical. What's that pole for that's in your helm? Is that for the flybridge

Yes, my boat is steered by chain and rod, so solid connection mechanical all the way, with no hydraulics. Heckuva reliable, but the chain from up top comes down through that shiny post. Hey, note my rear vis mirror I mounted on it. Works a treat. Now where would I put it without that pole..? Later hydraulic steered models lack that pole.

Yes, my boat is steered by chain and rod, so solid connection mechanical all the way, with no hydraulics

AXE had that setup too. It can be seen in pics from back on the strip out. I'd never seen anything like it. I tossed it all. Decided to do a Hydraulic set up with copper pipe instead.

Yeh mirror looks good. Is that for doing your make up when you cruising ??? ;-)

Looks like you're go'in rather fast for a narrow channel Don.

Judging by your angle of attack only.

Eric most of the channels are narrow dredged cuts in SW Florida. I think that photo is in Pine Island Sound. It is a seemingly wide body of water that can be very shallow outside the channel. On straight sections the markers can be spaced a good distance apart. With the sun behind the daymarks the color is difficult to distinguish. Thus, the attention to looking down course.

Art, that's about 2500 rpm. She will top out about 33 knots. I will repost the first helm shot in this thread. If you will enlarge the picture, you can read the speed at the top of the display. That is the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa Bay. I shot the picture to illustrate how the chart relates to the actual scene outside the window.

Attachments

• CIMG0104.jpg
    CIMG0104.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Righto so today i bought a Poly Flex transmission coupling for the prop shaft as well as ordering 20ltrs of Jotun 'Jotamastic' bilge paint and 250mtrs of rope to add to my 100mtrs of chain.

The glassing I did the other came up a treat, tho this cool temp is causing a blush to appear. A little bit of epoxy filleting, a little bit more tape a light sand and time for paint :)

I have a question, what's a better rope to chain splice? The one that threads into the chain links (11 or so), or the one that runs thought the first link and splices back into the main rope? I'm thinking example #2 is the best, purely based on the rope pinching on the chain in example #1 but that's it. Thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

Example 1 . ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400565743.202159.jpg

OR

Example 2. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400565798.951593.jpg

Last edited:
On p134 of Earl Hinz "The Complete Book of Anchoring..." he deals with rope to chain splicing. Hope the page is readable. Essentially, he regards rope/chain splices as a "splice of convenience"(? means "a necessary evil"),concerned about rope damage due to sharp bending, rust on chain, heat generated, effects of salt sand etc, and advises regular checks and resplicing. Clearly he prefers (p131) an oval thimble spliced in and shackled to the chain, but recognizes a wildcat gypsy won`t accept a large thimble.
I`m sure the expert splicers out there will help, but for me #2 puts a lot of load on a small section of rope.Not a problem I`ve confronted with all chain, but my backup CQR has a combination rode with thimble and shackle connection I`ll have to deal with when retrieving, if I ever have to.Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 122
G'day Bruce.
Thank you for that. Was an informative bit of info. I agree the eyelet is best but my gypsy won't like it. I'd also like to say that the rope won't be deployed very much, if at all. It's there as a safety net for me. Sheltered Waters where we will be going is on average 10 mtrs. Open waters up to and over 100mtrs will be fishing and drifting. Open water anchoring will be around 30-40 mtrs for diving etc but that's once in a while so the rope won't get too wet too often IMO.

Yeh mirror looks good. Is that for doing your make up when you cruising ???)

Well….I have been known to use it to rake the odd comb thru what's left of the thatch...

I've got the chain drive as well. I have autopilot on the chain drive. Haven't seen it work yet though.
img_235187_0_9a4eb9defb13fa2023fba272971bb810.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. H. I'm opting not to vote....

dcknp.gif

C'mon pumpkin! Just dont vote for option 1 :-D ... I have much love and respect for you and "most" of your options mate!

Last edited:
I've got the chain drive as well. I have autopilot on the chain drive. Haven't seen it work yet though.
img_235206_0_9a4eb9defb13fa2023fba272971bb810.jpg

Maybe I was too hasty to throw the chain set up for hydraulic

Last edited:
I just did my chain splice the other day and I did the # 2 . It was my first so I won't be posting a picture of it :nonono:. It would have turned out better had I had a splicing fid . It looks ok but I'm keeping a close eye on it . I'm going to get me a fid and redo .

I just did my chain splice the other day and I did the # 2 . It was my first so I won't be posting a picture of it :nonono:. It would have turned out better had I had a splicing fid . It looks ok but I'm keeping a close eye on it . I'm going to get me a fid and redo .

Hahah c'mon don't be shy! Lol ... I've never done it. Should be good for a laugh.

We use a factory eye splice with shackle but have no gypsy to deal with. If we did probably have to go with option 1 though.

If your'e the type that anchors from the bow (like many of us) one could just use a shackle and thimble. When the shackle came up just reach down and pull a foot of rode and put the chain on the gypsy to finish the job.

With the shackle only a few inches of the rode is incompatible w the gypsy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom