New Leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the strips finally arrived today so I blew off work and spent the afternoon slamming them in place. Really happy with finished look. Here's a couple of pics. Keep in mind it's broad daylight so the pics don't do them justice.
Cheers

Attachments

• image-646907021.jpg
    image-646907021.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3965998837.jpg
    image-3965998837.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-694373618.jpg
    image-694373618.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3494776991.jpg
    image-3494776991.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 78
Well the strips finally arrived today so I blew off work and spent the afternoon slamming them in place. Really happy with finished look. Here's a couple of pics. Keep in mind it's broad daylight so the pics don't do them justice. Cheers
Glad they turned out! They look awesome!!! :thumb:

Well the strips finally arrived today so I blew off work and spent the afternoon slamming them in place. Really happy with finished look. Here's a couple of pics. Keep in mind it's broad daylight so the pics don't do them justice.
Cheers

They look great Jukesy. Is it one continuous strip and how/where is the power connected? I might have another project now...

The strip came in 16' lengths I so needed two but are connected together. I ran power from the panel through the engine room and up the port side plenum. I installed a switch by the aft door next to the others. Was a fairly easy and straight forward install. Cheap too thanks to Oliver.

Here's the switch

Attachments

• image-2548820249.jpg
    image-2548820249.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 90
A local marine supply here in Victoria. I've tossed the packaging but I can check next time I'm at the store for ya if you wish.

A local marine supply here in Victoria. I've tossed the packaging but I can check next time I'm at the store for ya if you wish.
Nah, it's fine, was just curious.

Juksey - which ones did you order? Our NT has similar valances and I've been thinking of putting up some leds. A friend picked us up a set from Costco last year, but I wound up putting those under the cabinets in our kitchen at home.

I've tossed the packaging ...

Ooh, shouldn't have done that. Save the end flap or other piece that has the part number on it or copy all the nomenclature into a log for future maintenance needs.

I went with these ones. There warm white. No transformer just wired directly to 12v.

Good point Rick. Hadn't thought of that. It's not a permanent switch but all I could find for now. I specifically wanted a surface mount which mine is but wanted something closer to matching my existing switches.

5M 300 Warm White LED 5050 SMD Flexible Light Lamp Strip 12V DC Home Club
http://amazon.ca/dp/B00D76XBU0

Ok so ive been looking around at other alternatives to compare to our current LED's. I found Harbor LED which is a manufacturer in china, they sent me their catalogue and have quite the selection. After a trading a few emails i asked him about constant current protection, he said they don't have them but he can add CC protection. Just thought id share.

Attachments

• 2014.05household LED Harbor lighting catalog of price list..pdf
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2014.05 LED pods&bars Harbor lighting list.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
Oliver,

I'm very interested in looking at these catalogs but the first file says it's "damaged" and can't be opened. Can you PM it to me?

Matt

Here it is.

Attachments

• 2014.05household LED Harbor lighting catalog of price list. (1).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Thanks Oliver!

Please everyone using .49 cent LED's these probably have no voltage regulation and they have been known to smoke. This is a case of buyer beware you get what you pay for. With that being said I prefer LED light fixtures over bulb replacements the diffusion for LEDs is quite different than conventional lighting. A fixture can make a huge difference in the light pattern and perceived brightness.
Bill

A fixture can make a huge difference in the light pattern and perceived brightness.

This months Practical Sailor has a test of many stock OTS units.

Added some strip light under the flybridge helm and also a dual color spreader w/ dimmer.
The strip was just some RGB strip I had left over from some projects and wired it to run red.
The spreader is a Lumitec.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400118022.550706.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400118032.581730.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400118045.132849.jpg

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Thanks! Also did the panel.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400122839.903463.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1400122839.903463.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I am looking to add more LED lighting specifically to my galley counter and just ordered the deckhand dimmer as recommended in this thread. I have a question regarding what LED bulbs will work. The manufacturer states that the switch will work with "non regulated LEDs". Is that to say that it will work on non dim-mable LEDs or dose the term non dim-mable only apply to AC systems? I am probably overthinking this but was hoping someone has installed this dimmer with LEDs and would know what it will work with before I invest in the LEDs Thank!!

Great thread! lots of info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom