Interesting link - 1979 Trawler reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYCHAB III

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
n/a
Vessel Make
n/a
Hello all, Whilst Googling a boat part today, I came across this interesting link to a 1979 Boating magazine that had reviews of a LOT of the boats I have been lusting for.

Hope the link works - scroll down to page 49 for the beginning of the reviews or read it from the top - interesting articles and ads too!

Google Books

Drat, OK, I'll try this again. I probably should accept that computers are not a passing fad after allhttp://books.google.com/books?id=sLzMepsGo2UC&lpg=PA55&ots=K7xAPy2LeP&dq=omc%20power%20pointer%20helm&pg=PA55#v=onepage&q=omc%20power%20pointer%20helm&f=false

you can use this: MotorBoating - Google Books but you will still have to wander through the magazine to find the articles.

Some info is disturbing. Grand Banks 42 with twin Lehmans $134,900. New. Wow!
Willard 40 with 130 Perkins $110,000

Sept 79 issue.

Last edited:
Very interesting read, thanks for posting. Brings back memories, both good and bad!

Amazing how I remember the advertisements so well.

There were a lot of ugly power boats built then. Very angular lines, high freeboard, and flat sheers.

The sailboats were s bit better. I never knew that Bill Garden designed the Buccaneer...

Last edited:
Sorry folks for the lousy link attempt. But, as always, you marvelous people find a way! I thought it was a great article (or series of articles) that actually compared a LOT of boats in the same time period. Sort of an "apples to apples" comparison.

Anyone read the article "Close Encounter on the Bahama Bank"?

I bet if they were not armed the story would never have been told, just another lost boat and crew to the ocean.

Like I always said just another tool in the tool box to deal with unexpected crap.

Spy,
I'd probably be happier not knowing BG designed the Buccaneer.

Actually the lines aren't so bad. But it's so flat and stiff for a sailboat. Gardner was probably told to design a sailboat that was not "tippy".

Last edited:
That was a great trip down memory lane. I recall how much I enjoyed Dick Bradley's' column Thanks.
John

Great link. Fun to see the ads too.

I read the Willard blurb...it describes the 1979 40' "full house" model and lists the price at $110,000. My Willard 40 wide body sedan is one of only three such yachts produced before the company narrowed the house to add side decks in 1980. I'm biased, of course, but we really enjoy the spacious saloon made possible by the 10'x11" interior. Also, the sweep of the 5 front windows that make her stand out in an anchorage, 2 more windows than in the later models. Nice to know that some of these classic trawlers are selling for more now then when new. But just think if instead of a Willard, you bought a So Cal house in 1979 for $110k -- today it would be worth millions! I guess that says a lot about the real value of boats ;-)

Did you notice the 1.3gph at 6 knots?

Not bad when you consider that my W30 burns 1gph to make 6.15 knots.

Very nice return to yesteryear! Thanks, for posting that boat mag link!

That was a great trip down memory lane. I recall how much I enjoyed Dick Bradley's' column Thanks.
John

I have a book of several of Dick Bradley's articles, I really enjoyed it. They were published before my involvement with boats and I think they're just as appropriate and funny today.

So, if a GB 42 sold new for $135K, why are the prices about the same, or in some instances, more today? Thirty five year old boat, possible thousands of hours on engines, maybe outdated electronics, outdated interior designs. Probably canvas that needs to be replaced. Things that make you go hummmm. I really must be missing something. I've never owned a boat I thought I could profit from.

So, if a GB 42 sold new for $135K, why are the prices about the same, or in some instances, more today? Thirty five year old boat, possible thousands of hours on engines, maybe outdated electronics, outdated interior designs. Probably canvas that needs to be replaced. Things that make you go hummmm. I really must be missing something. I've never owned a boat I thought I could profit from.

I have made profit on boats before. But, you better get it in really good condition to begin with and keep it that way or better during ownership; as well as having paid a discount price from the get-go and then selling it in correct economic climate.

Reason that very well built boats from reputable builder names are similar in dollar cost today as back when built – It’s Called: Inflation!

If you went to build same boat new today instead of the original $135K cost from yesteryear - Try $300K to $500K!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I have made profit on boats before. But, you better get it in really good condition to begin with and keep it that way or better during ownership; as well as having paid a discount price from the get-go and then selling it in correct economic climate.

Reason that very well built boats from reputable builder names are similar in dollar cost today as back when built – It’s Called: Inflation!

If you went to build same boat new today instead of the original $135K cost from yesteryear - Try $300K to $500K!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

We bought our current boat, a Catalina 36, new in 1999 for $141,000. Since that time we have added over $40K in upgrades/maintenance. It has never looked anything other than delivery day new. I think I have it sold for $102,000 including a slip for this season. No broker, so, I get to keep the whole think. Now I can add another $50K out of my pocket and hope to find a 30+ year old trawler that needs who knows what and hope that it will last for awhile. Finding a boat that offers a few more creature comforts is like getting old (which we are), it ain't for sissy's.

We bought our current boat, a Catalina 36, new in 1999 for $141,000. Since that time we have added over $40K in upgrades/maintenance. It has never looked anything other than delivery day new. I think I have it sold for $102,000 including a slip for this season. No broker, so, I get to keep the whole think. Now I can add another $50K out of my pocket and hope to find a 30+ year old trawler that needs who knows what and hope that it will last for awhile. Finding a boat that offers a few more creature comforts is like getting old (which we are), it ain't for sissy's.

Bp - Congrats on sellen ya boat!

If I understand you correctly... you’re planning to spend $152K on a 30 +/- yr old trawler. What size/make you talking?? I don't know boat values in your district, but, for that type of payola in SF region there are some outstanding BIG Old, but in good condition, high quality boats for sale. Shopping is what it’s all about in the used boat market. Some owners want Big Buck$$$ for their prized baby... others don’t.

And, some brand names carry a premium price just because of their name. A boat that’s 30 yrs old dollar value is not so much because of the original builder (although there are some builders to shy away from)... but rather the condition of boat and how well it was looked after by previous owner(s). There are good and bad and medium deals in the used boat market. If money is an issue – careful shopping will usually turn up some real good boat-deals!

Best luck! - Art

Art:
We are probably looking in the 36-42' range. Hopefully, smaller engines. Single screw would be ideal. Considering GB, Monk, Krogen, and a few others. Not looking for a project boat. I love messing around on boats but at 71 I would rather use them than rebuild them.
FYI, I may live on the Great Lakes but I'm pretty familiar with your cruising area. Born in San Francisco. Father was a master for Matson and finally retired as a San Francisco Bar Pilot. Grandfather was also a ship captain. Last ship he had was a combination of sail and steam.

Art:
We are probably looking in the 36-42' range. Hopefully, smaller engines. Single screw would be ideal. Considering GB, Monk, Krogen, and a few others. Not looking for a project boat. I love messing around on boats but at 71 I would rather use them than rebuild them.
FYI, I may live on the Great Lakes but I'm pretty familiar with your cruising area. Born in San Francisco. Father was a master for Matson and finally retired as a San Francisco Bar Pilot. Grandfather was also a ship captain. Last ship he had was a combination of sail and steam.

Very Cool! - I'm impressed! Me, LI NY and Maine till my mid 20's. SF Bay Area Aug 18, 1984, came down from 6,000' elevation, Sierra Nevada Mts. Age 62... So Far Still Rocken! :thumb:

Cheers! - Art :D

From an online inflation calculator:

What cost $135000 in 1979 would cost $426637.96 in 2013

From an online inflation calculator:

What cost $135000 in 1979 would cost $426637.96 in 2013

That is a good analogy, except I can't fathom a boat being an appreciating asset. We aren't talking new here or a commodity. Hell, I can remember gas wars in San Francisco when I was a kid and you could get gas for 15.9/gal.
Are boats getting to be "collector" items? When we buy another boat, and it's "used", I hope to pay less than it cost new 20 or 30 years ago and will still be servicable for a few more years without having to rebuild completely.
Oh, converting the $135K in 1979 = $464,721.05 in 2014. It's getting worse.

I agree. It seems like a supply and demand function, since your alternative is to spend an entire fortune on a new vessel. Sometimes I'm surprised that so many new boats are sold at all.

Bp - "Oh, converting the $135K in 1979 = $464,721.05 in 2014. It's getting worse."

Worse than what...? - Worse than previous inflationary times? Inflation this time is in a vicious worldwide cycle. And, it's often cloaked by many "reasons" from manufacturers of all sorts of items, commodities’ pricing included.

Regarding buying a used boat - It's buyers’ market for older trawlers. Asking Price is just that, "Asking". Purchaser has complete opportunity to "Offer" any price they feel is correct regarding the boat and what the purchaser has capability of paying. If the offered price is turned down then a re-offer can be debated with seller. Or... purchaser can walk away and seek another boat to make an offer on.

Seek and Ye Shall Find... err Float!!

Happy Boat Sales/Search/Buying Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
Art:
Of course we are aware of the negotiating system. I've negotiated millions of dollars worth of contracts during my working lifetime. I think that we might be in a somewhat better bargaining position in that we will be a "cash" buyer. No need for financing approval and all that goes with it. Just looking at Yachtworld you can tell that some of these boats have been on the market for a considerable time. Some of the sellers have been kind enough to put a time stamp on the pictures. I've talked with some brokers who are reluctant to tell you "exactly" how long a particular boat has been listed. I even had a broker tell me that he wouldn't even present an offer to a seller unless he thought it was, in his mind, "reasonable." Needless to say, I won't be buying through him. My position will be, how many cash offers has the seller had this week? Or in the last year for that matter? Just like a house, a boat is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay, not a penny more. It's like selling a house with a pool. You automatically limit your potential buyers. We would have loved to recover 100% of what we invested over the years in our 1999 Catalina 36. Obviously, that would be unrealistic. We got a fair price, all things considered. Time will tell how serious some of these sellers are.

Art:
Of course we are aware of the negotiating system. I've negotiated millions of dollars worth of contracts during my working lifetime. I think that we might be in a somewhat better bargaining position in that we will be a "cash" buyer. No need for financing approval and all that goes with it.

Bp - I have no doubt, from what you say, that on BIG Ticket items in a different area than "Pleasure Boats" you are well-versed/experienced. That said - Boat you just sold was purchased new by you in 1999, if memory serves me correctly from previous post of yours. With NEW Boats the potential for paid-price "dickering" with broker is as night and day compared to USED Boats. And, with New Boat - similar to New Car - as you leave the dealer to sail off (drive off) into the sunset an immediate, substantial devaluation occurs. Not so with Used Boats... if purchased correctly!

Used Boat purchases are a kin to “Horse Trading”. There is often much room to dicker! YachtWorld prices on used or new boats are usually hugely inflated by dealers/brokers. They gots ta make a living too, no blame coming from me! However – never be afraid to offer any broker a price you feel any boat may be worth, of course, with contingencies for surveys etc. The broker has basic obligation to present your true-offer to seller. Dickering starts at that point if seller decides to entertain your offer. Surveys are SOOOO important to not only clearly show you the Used Boat’s true value but also to give you leverage during price dickering with seller. If all else fails, due to contingencies, either you or the seller can walk away free and clear. If end result of your and seller’s “horse trade” dickering events reach a meeting of the minds – then you can own that boat.

Cash, IMHO, as you plan to do is the best way by far for boat purchase. I have had very good results buying a boat directly from the owner. But, I like to dicker and put NO emotion into any purchase. That is till I own it – then I like to make love to my properties and keep them well in condition.

Not trying to teach you anything here – just sayen – Used Boat buying is similar to Horse Trading – Dicker, Baby – DICKER! Make sure you come out respectfully on top of the deal – or – Walk Away. Never let the seller get on top of you! :eek:

:popcorn:

re boats getting to be "collector" items?

YES , but they are rare and exceptional.

A Bertram Moppie comes to mind , but to have a value most are repowered with high HP car diesels (Yannmar) at great expense.

Trumphy House Boats , are probably the most expensive in the woodies boat market ,the Huckins Fairform Flyer would be a close second .

For the fast boat folks (30K 50K) there have been so many improvements over the decades that older models are of little interest

That is a good analogy, except I can't fathom a boat being an appreciating asset. We aren't talking new here or a commodity. Hell, I can remember gas wars in San Francisco when I was a kid and you could get gas for 15.9/gal.
Are boats getting to be "collector" items? When we buy another boat, and it's "used", I hope to pay less than it cost new 20 or 30 years ago and will still be servicable for a few more years without having to rebuild completely.
Oh, converting the $135K in 1979 = $464,721.05 in 2014. It's getting worse.

Just for fun, the other way of looking at it is that 135K in 2014 is only $41,341 in 1979 dollars. So it's not really appreciating. I wonder what a comparable used boat would have cost then?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom