Boat Yoga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I have struggled with my weight for years. Since buying my Mainship 390 a couple of months ago I have been crawling around the bilges, installing batteries, inverter, electronics, davits, antennas, water strainers, shower boxes, and other things I cant think about at the moment, I was amazed to see I have lost 10 pounds. I have bent and twisted my body using muscles I didnt know I had. My chronic back pain is gone.

Can boats be healthy for you? Maybe I can claim it as a medical deduction.

Oh lord, I can already see my future....:eek: ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399855341.393372.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399855354.104345.jpg

I have struggled with my weight for years. Since buying my Mainship 390 a couple of months ago I have been crawling around the bilges, installing batteries, inverter, electronics, davits, antennas, water strainers, shower boxes, and other things I cant think about at the moment, I was amazed to see I have lost 10 pounds. I have bent and twisted my body using muscles I didnt know I had. My chronic back pain is gone.

Can boats be healthy for you? Maybe I can claim it as a medical deduction.

Activity does three things. First, the exercise. Second, you're not eating while doing it and especially not snacking. Probably even consuming a good bit of water. Third, mood and sleep.

As to the deduction, interesting concept but don't believe I'd try it. lol

And we all know boats are healthy for us. Much better than a health club or gym.

Ditto what B&B said re the boat work. As a tax attorney though, I have to say I would not advise trying the medical deduction. Unless of course if we have and Drs on the forum who could give us each a prescription for it! That might work! Another thing to do is get your slip at the end of long, long dock!

That said, if you have a boat loan and pay any taxes on it, the interest and taxes are deductible on Sch A under the second home provisions (if you don't have another 2nd home).

I'm 78 and still able to do all my own work on my Nova Sundeck. Sure beats sittin' around in some retirement community waitin' to die.

I'm 78 and still able to do all my own work on my Nova Sundeck. Sure beats sittin' around in some retirement community waitin' to die.

Wifey B: Wow, I'm impressed. We're almost 78. Well, combined....43+34=77. And we don't do any of our own work, but we do have fun on the water. And our real exercise, other than treadmill or walking around boat, is all the walking and exploring we do everywhere we go. A couple of days ago we walked miles and miles in the Olympic National Park. And there are hills there, not like home. Sometimes when we reach towns, we just take off walking. So far we've always been able to get some way back to the marina.

I do believe your activity and having an interest and hobby are essential to a long healthy life though.

Ancora,
Way to go. And a Sundeck no less (like me)! I just made 55, and seem pretty sore most days when I get up. Knees and back hurt. But the wife says it must be a miracle when I get to the boat. My mobility gets better and my complaining stops?❗❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

I'm 50 with a sore back, and last year set off to a propulsion system refit on my boat. It involved cutting 10' out of the bottom and re-shaping the entire thing, building a shaft line and moving the motor around. Mostly done laying on my back with sawzall, grinder, screwgun, glue pots, glass, etc, etc. Starting the project, I wondered if I could even finish it. Sore back said "don't even try it".

Half way into the project, back felt better than in a long time. Finished the project on schedule. Hard work is good for us, sore back, old, or not.

Now on to next project!!

Maybe some goofing off first...

It is amazing what being out on the water does. Although I am reasonably fit, I have had a couple serious injuries over the last ten years. Getting out in the boat, really seemed to speed up the healing process.
I am convinced that a healthy stress free mind will do more for your physical health than almost any drug. (although I might take the odd supplement drug to help get that stress free mind)

Hey Aus-come to WA, we just legalized one of those drugs to help with a stress free mind!

I lost 40 lbs on a summer long cruise. I returned thin, toned, relaxed and up beat. I hope I live long enough to do it again.

I'm just past the mid-60's mark and have also found that working on and around the boat has helped keep me more limber. I used to suffer from back issues and those are gone. I still have pain in my lower legs, and that won't likely go away no matter how much I do on the boat.

It does feel good to get this tired ol' body all twisted around into some of the positions I find myself in, and that's good for the mind as well as the body.

I have found that my morning visits to Dr. Lehman for daily check ups has increased my flexibility a lot.

My wife is just about 55 and I'm just about 56. We both weight less than we did when we were married 29 years ago. I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life although I was in better cardiovascular shape when I ran marathons before meeting my wife.

All of it fully came together for us through the last 2 years of living onboard full time. We typically have only been onboard for 9 months a year but in these last 2 years we took it all much more serious. I am 50 lbs lighter than I was in 2007 when we decided we needed to change. It's been a 7 year plan - it's hard to make immediate changes and they rarely last. Slow and steady is likely a lot healthier.

We do serious workouts every day; we have weights onboard although we've moved away from them in recent months concentrating on bodyweight workouts - no equipment is needed; just a little space (although I want to rig up a pullup bar next year somehow). I no longer run - it's just too hard as I've gotten older - although I do 25 minutes of continuous jump rope a couple of times a week which is tougher than running. When my niece (who's on her high school's cross country team) wanted to run a Thanksgiving 5K road race, I ran with her and without training once, completed it (she beat me by 30 seconds which I was both annoyed at and happy with).

I think the cruising lifestyle is what you make of it. There are ample opportunities to be unhealthy onboard. But if you can balance nutrition/diet with enough exercise, there is no reason why you can't be healthier than you've ever been before while long-term cruising.

I've often thought that the constant motion aboard a boat (more so when we owned sailboats), even when nearly imperceptible, has a positive benefit on muscle tone and balance.

There are other health benefits that may be overlooked. The clean salt air is good for most people when it comes to breathing, helps many with allergies, myself included. Plus you get deep breaths which is a plus. The reduced stress is an obvious. Plus swimming in the salt water is good for your muscles and skin. Seems even the worst boat problem doesn't compare to some of your previous days in the office. Companionship for many. Yes, you may have been married 30 years but you never had the quality time together. On the water too, you socialize. In the office you saw many co-workers but it's not socialization.

A couple of things you need especially be careful of though. Sun is number one. You're exposed to a lot more than ever before. Protect yourself by limiting exposure and by always using sunscreen. The other is mold. Be wary of it. Use drying products and mold free products in especially susceptible areas. You will not know if it's hurting you until much too late. And for those with hot tubs or jacuzzi bath tubs, be very very careful. Do what the instructions say times two or three. They are breeding grounds for mold in the tubing and this mold goes straight to your lungs.

And as to the healthy lifestyle, cruising isn't about just sitting on the boat in the captain's seat. Get out. If you cruise all day and then anchor, go for a swim or walk at the end of the day. A long one. If you go to a marina. Get out and walk. Sitting on a boat does the same to you physically as sitting in an office. In fact condition yourself to take breaks on the boat, walk around while your partner takes over. But the difference is when the end of the day comes you have no other responsibilities. We walk every day, every town we reach. If it's raining, we go "Singing in the Rain." Well, not exactly, but we do have umbrellas and still explore if not too bad. We don't even think of it, but a teen traveling with us was sneaky and used a pedometer app on her phone. Staying with us on just an ordinary day exploring a small town, she found we walked 8 miles. The day in the National Forest, we walked 20 miles. 5 miles is considered by some healthy. We don't jog other than treadmill as it's tough on joints.

One last thing I was just reminded by my wife I must include. Massages. Whether your muscles from the positions in the engine room or the extra walking you did. We both find our leg muscles tightening after a lot of walking and do give each other leg massages. It's the best way not to end up with pulled muscles plus it's pleasurable.

Wifey B: Warning label hehe.....leg or other massages can lead to more. But then that more is also good exercise. Maybe burn another 300 calories.

All the way around massage is one of the healthiest things a couple can do, plus it's fun. And I'm not just thinking full. Legs or shoulders and necks. Seriously, any neck shoulder or back pain don't wait till it's worse or doctor or chiro or whoever. Massage is preventative. Do it. And if you're alone or with someone you don't want massaging the areas in trouble, then not a bad idea to occasionally get one, available in every port. Doesn't have to be the expensive spa, but often just someone with a cheap chair massage. And you can even massage your own legs or get a massager and do your shoulders and upper back. Do it...and that's an order...ok, not an order. Just please.

Confession time. When we have a dress up night on the town or go just to fancy restaurants, I wear heels. Tall heels. Yes, I know they're bad. Wear tennies mostly, but still like my heels. Rule has always been the moment I take them off, he massages my legs. And I've never had a problem. But I would without.

But being on the water is our stress relief, always has been. When my hubby had a high powered stressful life and I taught and you can only imagine some of those days even as much as I loved it (generally bad days weren't the kids but others). We'd just get on the water or even just sit beside it and melt our troubles away....ok, launched into a song. Can't help it.

I have found that my morning visits to Dr. Lehman for daily check ups has increased my flexibility a lot.

I Love It!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Back
Top Bottom