Thread: WiFi
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #61
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Probably more noticeable in the marinas during the winter season here. At any given time, when the parking lots are empty, there will be a couple cars in the parking lots with a lone individual madly typing away on a laptop or tablet.

You have to ask yourself why would someone sit in a 30 degree car in January to use their laptop?? Various reason I suppose. One of our security people told me he confronted a woman who was sitting in her car downloading pirated movies. Her explanation, the Ports WiFi was much faster than her home internet. (Probably anonymous access as well!!)

In the summer time you will see non boater locals sitting at the picnic tables around the marina with their tablets and laptops as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Today, if I wanted to hack into someone's accounts for the purpose of getting money, I'd definitely use marinas and airports. In both cases, they're filled with above-income people who are traveling away from home without the typical home access to alerts, phone calls, and computer access.
They busted up a home burglary ring here, where people were breaking into cars in the airport long term parking, just to get the vehicle registration with the families home address. Knowing they would be gone more than a few days, they then cased and broke into their homes.