Yachtworld

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Yachtworld sucks! There, I said it. Don't go there. It can lead to frustration and self recrimination. Someone smarter than me has put a contract on a boat that I have been watching. While I was asking myself stupid questions like how much offshore cruising would I really do, someone acted. I believe that I have missed one of the best deals to be had. I love what I know of this boat.

1983 Seaton Long Range Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Like Austin Powers, you seem to have lost your MOJO.

<sorry, couldn't resist>

That sure is a nice looking boat, I'm sorry they jumped on it so fast.

Whats up with that big price drop? Maybe a bad survey and a turned down deal? Keep your eye on the ball it may still be bouncing if deal has not closed. Contact the broker and ask some questions.

Like Austin Powers, you seem to have lost your MOJO.

<sorry, couldn't resist>

That sure is a nice looking boat, I'm sorry they jumped on it so fast.

:lol::lol: I should have seen that one coming.:D

Whats up with that big price drop? Maybe a bad survey and a turned down deal? Keep your eye on the ball it may still be bouncing if deal has not closed. Contact the broker and ask some questions.

Spring came late this year, but it's now SPRUNG in a big way and boats are selling.. Savvy sellers up north know that if they want to sell, they need to price them correctly at the very beginning of the season or they'll likely either be dropping their pants at the end of the season, or will be paying for yet another year of winter storage come fall.. It's an old steel boat, you can't be asking close to what a new one costs, so price is lowered, and now deal pending.

Don

Two years ago I passed on a boat powered by a similar Cummins 855 N14 because it was a dry exhaust manifold and made a mess in the ER. Soot everywhere and no good fix. Not sure if this vessel you lust over is dry manifold or not, but not my cup of tea if it is.

Plus, you'd have to enjoy steel maintenance on a 30 year old vessel, unless of course it was redone to say Delfin's level, which very few are.

Don

Two years ago I passed on a boat powered by a similar Cummins 855 N14 because it was a dry exhaust manifold and made a mess in the ER. Soot everywhere and no good fix. Not sure if this vessel you lust over is dry manifold or not, but not my cup of tea if it is.

Plus, you'd have to enjoy steel maintenance on a 30 year old vessel, unless of course it was redone to say Delfin's level, which very few are.

All the above posts are good advice.
My current boat had an offer that was accepted only ot fallthru months later. My good fortune, as the prospective buyer made the PO do all this work and then passed on the boat.

Also, I too used to covet Steel, but now think glass is better for me.

You must be pretty brave to be considering that boat, Don....an awful big switch in purpose. With 6'4" draft, you won't be doing any more gunk-holing with that one. If that's the original Cummins, she's probably an marinized NHE-195, my favorite and most economical (albeit a bit smokey) big block Cummins. The boat looks well thought-out.

I agree with Eyshulman. If the boat is meant to be yours, it'll happen. That's the way I got mine.

Last edited:
You must be pretty brave to be considering that boat, Don....an awful big switch in purpose. With 6'4" draft, you won't be doing any more gunk-holing with that one. If that's the original Cummins, she's probably an marinized NHE-195, my favorite and most economical (albeit a bit smokey) big block Cummins. The boat looks well thought-out.

I agree with Eyshulman. If the boat is meant to be yours, it'll happen. That's the way I got mine.

Larry, you hit on exactly what I was struggling with. It was the nearly 6 1/2" draft that was giving me pause. That's not friendly for gunk holing around the East Coast or Bahamas. I would certainly like to get to Bermuda, the Canadian Maritimes, and the Caribbean. However, most of my cruising would be the Chesapeake to the Keys.

The thing I like about steel is that it is so easy to do a temporary repair. If you can get hauled out a welder and steel plate is available just about anywhere world wide. No coring is another big plus. Maintenance is the big negative. I just really liked that boat, and thought it to be a bargain at that price.

I owned an old steel boat. You start chasing rust the day you buy it, until the day you sell it. On a new build, maybe not so bad. On an old boat, it's all the places that aren't easy to get to.

Ted

Don,
I'm not usually a huge fan of Seaton but that boat is stunning!

I owned an old steel boat. You start chasing rust the day you buy it, until the day you sell it. On a new build, maybe not so bad. On an old boat, it's all the places that aren't easy to get to.

Ted

A CAPAC system all but solves that.

23'8" bridge clearance, 6'4" draft and 9.5 kts speed on a steel hull....that's quite a change from Moonstruck!

Lemme know if you need a sommelier.

23'8" bridge clearance, 6'4" draft and 9.5 kts speed on a steel hull....that's quite a change from Moonstruck!

Lemme know if you need a sommelier.

Yeah, I was thinking of towing Moonstruck. You know, to have something fitting to get to shore.:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom