Plastic Pieces Falling Off Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
I have some small bits of black plastic (1/8"w x 1/2"L max but most are smaller) falling off the front of my 10 year old 330 hp Cummins. The pieces are not very strong so it could be hard rubber.

I saw a couple of pieces last week while on a trip and when I got back home*there were enough to coat maybe a quarter of the palm of my hand.

They seem to be coming off in the neighborhood of the belt guard*but the belt is fine.

Could it be an oil seal going?

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 8th of June 2010 09:45:10 PM

Engine mounts , isolators have a defined service life.

The front damper on the engine also is a replacement item , a decade might be time.

The tranny flex plate also only has so many hours till it gets wonkey.

IF New extra vibration is not the problem , could just be cheap plastic.

I just had a suggestion from a fellow NT owner that had the same problem. He said that his was pieces of the carbon alternator brushes. When you break one of these little bits apart it is like breaking a piece of frozen dark chocolate. Really does not feel like plastic or rubber.

I'll take the pieces out to the shop that rebuilt the alternator about 20 hours ago and see if they think that it is brush material. It is charging like champ, however.

I took the bits to the alternator shop and he said it was not brushes or anything else from the alternator. Besides it is still charging.

He speculates it is from the inside of the tensioner pulley. I'll pull that next. Another theory is the vibraton dampener. Who knows??

He speculates it is from the inside of the tensioner pulley

The single flat belt folks frequently replace the tensioner with the belt, esp on a boat (installed time change) where rust and corrosion is more likely than wearing the belt , or operating the required hours for a PM replacement.

But, the question reamains...is there plastic inside the tensioner?

Cummins tech came today to service cooling system. He is baffled as to where the pieces originated. Tensioner was fine. Coolant pump will need to be replaced but no rubber in there either.He looked high and low and in 20 years working on Cummins has never seen this before. Probably nothing to worry about.

Doc:

I've been following your posts with a great deal of interest. Since I have the same model engine, my interest is magnified somewhat.

I do believe, however, that the culprit (if there is one) is something simple. (Like impeller shavings, etc.)

If there is no water in the bilge, leaks in the fuel tanks and the gages are all nominal, relax! Keep your insurance up to date, life preservers at the ready, and enjoy the boat.

(Note: If this was my engine I would be tearing my hair* out!
frustrated.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom