Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks top notch Matt, keep it up.

Thanks mate but in between posting those pics and today, I have thrown that panel and scrapped that idea. I am making one of these stations instead. Works better with the material I want to use and looks pretty sexy IMHO ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399620201.203398.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Hi Matt, good progress. Now you are starting some weather enforced fit out,remember you need maintenance access to everything you install. I once had a car where I`m they built it around the heater core, the core leaked, uh oh....

Thanks mate. Totally agree and have planned placement of hatches, wiring access etc.

The good news, if it rains enough you'll be able to tell if it floats! Or where any leaks are....

Yeah good point! She might have floated away making my helm planning redundant lol. Yesterday we had 60mm of rain fall in a 24hr period. Most rain in one day for three years.

Rains are set in so I've started looking at the internal bolt on aspects. I started on the helm station and made the gauge panel. Back to work tomorrow so back to working on AXE on the weekendsView attachment 29717View attachment 29716

Oh, wow Matt..that's a work of blooming art right there…geez my helm is ordinary...

Matt me Mate! - Your boat's helm will be 21st Century ART! :thumb:

Makes mine look like a 1977 fART! - LOL :facepalm: :rofl:

I start engines fron salon helm so I can listen closely to them during warm up... then... I 99.9% of the time pilot from bridge, salon helm area tends to collect diddies & thangs! :socool:

Attachments

• Close Up Salon Pilot.jpg
    Close Up Salon Pilot.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94
Matt me Mate! - Your boat's helm will be 21st Century ART! :thumb:

Makes mine look like a 1977 fART! - LOL :facepalm: :rofl:

I start engines fron salon helm so I can listen closely to them during warm up... then... I 99.9% of the time pilot from bridge, salon helm area tends to collect diddies & thangs! :socool:

Lol fart ... ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399650361.256694.jpg

I like your helm mate. It has history!

Matt I much prefer the panel in post #927. #931 looks awful.

Matt, just a suggestion having to do with my personal preference. I like the navigation and radar screens at the top near the line of site. The engine monitoring gauges under. Once the throttle is set the tach would be set. You should have oil pressure and temperature alarms.

Matt, just a suggestion having to do with my personal preference. I like the navigation and radar screens at the top near the line of site. The engine monitoring gauges under. Once the throttle is set the tach would be set. You should have oil pressure and temperature alarms.

Thanks for your tip mate. I have a few alarms to put in like exhaust temp, smoke/fire as well as bilge water

G'day all.
Did some glassing and bilge paint prepping. I also marked where the bilge LED down lights will be going and how the ceiling and sound proofing will be fitted as well as few other things. Not long now till the Perkins gets fitted either which is exciting!

Cheers all
Regards
Matt

Matt, I'm with manyboats on this one. I had planned to do the same as the earlier post but have all the chartplotters flush mount. Actually cut the hole so the device is totally flush with the panel. All the switches would be in a seperate panel out of line of site. I was copying some of the larger boat panels where less seams to be more. Of course you need the rows of switches but not really needed to navigate. I'm stuck with the large old radar but if I was to buy a new unit it would be a combo with two screens. Either one looks good.

Well, for what it's worth(and that's probably not a lot) I too am with Manyboats on your dash layout. I thought the original design you posted looked really classy, well suited to what I imagine the boat will eventually look like.

Still I have been wrong many times before, and I dare say you will prove me wrong again.

I follow this thread with interest.

Greetings,
Mr. H. I think a poll is in order here. The way I see it mate you've got two choices:

#1)

th

OR #2)

5839964476_a4e18dc335_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it,
"it looks awful".

There's no design theme, flowing lines, darks and lights ect. Just a mess. A bunch of clutter. Very functional probably and would work on a commercial boat but it's just a mess on a yacht.

The instrument panel w the black plastic and bright diamond like gauges is'nt perfect but has far more class that the clutter panel. Whose boat am I criticizing here. I'll probably need to know where the tomatoes will come flying from. Sorry in advance as it's just a small part of your boat.

A garden is just a bunch of plants taken care of but a beautiful garden has been carefully planned buy a person knowing the elements of art. It has a plan. Sweeping form (not forum) and plants that bloom in a timely manner. The lines of the walkways and rocks and other structures lead one through the garden so as to be most pleasing to the mind and eye. Engineers have their part in it but may not understand the result as a whole.

Imagine the instrument panel in an airplane either all chrome or flat black. It's not a garden. It's like a small part of a farmers field. Or part of a crater on the moon. It has order and perhaps function. But in the case of the farmers field it's only not clutter because it has order.

For an engineer in 1964 that cluttered instrument panel would fly well but the art student would need to avert his eyes.

My morning ramble.

Damn, Eric - Let it all hang out!

Rains are set in so I've started looking at the internal bolt on aspects. I started on the helm station and made the gauge panel. Back to work tomorrow so back to working on AXE on the weekendsView attachment 29717View attachment 29716

"Damn, Eric - Let it all hang out1"

Actually Mr H I like your panel on post #927. Fix the curved line on the top of the panel and it'll look great. You'd like it then.

Not sure that I like the part about age though. I do support old things more than I should but sometimes it's hard for an old guy to make a point that sticks. And it's natural to compare old things w new especially when the new things suck.

Hendo it's the outbd thirds of the top of the panel that has the line problem.

Thanks for your opinions fellas. I've made my decision and it's obvious I best not post internal pics of what I decided. I'm happy with my decision.

"Damn, Eric - Let it all hang out!"

I usually do but I stop short of flipp'in people off.

Actually Mr H I like your panel on post #927. Fix the curved line on the top of the panel and it'll look great. You'd like it then.

Not sure that I like the part about age though. I do support old things more than I should but sometimes it's hard for an old guy to make a point that sticks. And it's natural to compare old things w new especially when the new things suck.

Hendo it's the outbd thirds of the top of the panel that has the line problem.

You / we / me... best get used to liking "...the part about age...", cause unless you can duplicate effects of a classic show on Rod Serling' "Twilight Zone", where the elderly couple regained their youth, then ongoing age is a given!

BTW, at show close one or both (my recall on this part of show is not crystal clear) of the couple opted to return to senior years... due to love of memories!

Happy Aging-Life Daze! - Art :thumb:

Thanks for your opinions fellas. I've made my decision and it's obvious I best not post internal pics of what I decided. I'm happy with my decision but I not happy about getting "the finger" ... Perhaps I missed something??

Brother Matt - Please, do post all picts you may have! :dance:

OK, for Matt, one more try. My engine gauges are in a separate cluster below.

Attachments

• CIMG0104a.jpg
    CIMG0104a.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 134
On the other hand you could always go for simplicity.

This guy was very happy with this low cost low maintenance setup.

Admittedly it was a commercial craft.

Love your work, Hendo

cheers, John

Attachments

• DSC00504.jpg
    DSC00504.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions fellas. I've made my decision and it's obvious I best not post internal pics of what I decided. I'm happy with my decision but I not happy about getting "the finger" ... Perhaps I missed something??

Oh no you don't. It's full steam ahead and dam the torpedo's. You must come clean on what you have in mind for the internal fitout.

It's your boat and your dream, so be out and proud( well in a boating sense)

Yes, as RTF later qualifies, I got it that it was his way of pointing up to his choice, but read it as choosing the option immediately above, which I sort of agree with. But actually Matt, I felt your first effort was the closest, (as Eric also said). How about re-working that one just a tad, then fitting the screened instruments above it somehow, like Moonstruck suggested. Just a thought, but in the end, Bro, go with what rings your bell loudest.

Oh no you don't. It's full steam ahead and dam the torpedo's. You must come clean on what you have in mind for the internal fitout.

Hahaha bugger. Hoping I'd get away with that one quietly Andy lol

On the other hand you could always go for simplicity.

This guy was very happy with this low cost low maintenance setup.

Admittedly it was a commercial craft.

Love your work, Hendo

cheers, John

Hahaha and this also solves my issue regarding type of wheel.

Back
Top Bottom