reglaze window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithmilton

Veteran Member
the window in my starboard side door is cracked
how do you get the old glass out
need to remove the outer bead I know
what is behind the dowel filler caps?
thanks
Keith

Keith,

What kind of boat, can you post some pictures and give more info? Lots of different windows out there. :)

broken window

here are some pictures

Attachments

• P1070155.jpg
    P1070155.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 112
broken door glass in OA 40 1977

sadly glass broken
anyone have guidelines to remove teak bead around the glass in order to change it
picture attached
thanks

Attachments

• P1070155.jpg
    P1070155.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 116
If the door is easily removable, you might take it to a glass shop for ideas.

I just replaced all the glass in mine. Yours look a similar design to mine - if so once you remove the dowel caps, there are screws that fix the bead to the fibreglass. Remove those screws, prise the bead off gently (it may be siliconed on depending on design). The glass on mine was simply siliconed in with some sort of black windscreen sealant. I cut through that with a razor blade and the window popped out.
Ordered new laminated glass, clean up the frame area, new bead of windscreen sealant, new glass pressed on, and outer frame screwed back in.
I chose (rightly or wrongly - time will tell) not to put silicone under the outer frame. My logic was that water and dirt simply wash through under it. The water doesn't penetrate the window area though due to bedding the glass in with sealant.
As stated, yours may be different.

I've replaced similar windows in two boats with custom extruded aluminum frame units from Bomon. Never had another leak (there are no screws in to the bulkhead) and not nearly as expensive as you'd think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom