skegs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

Why is it that only single screw boats can have a skeg protected prop and rudder. It's one of the things that I second guess about looking at different boats. there must be away or does it create too much drag etc. Or maybe I haven't seen enough bottoms, but it seems like I have.

There are a FEW twin engine boats with some abbreviated type of skeg just ahead of the props. Cannot remember names and have only seen photos but they are rare.

Steve-don't know how many bottoms you have seen, but there are twin engine boats with twin keels/skegs protecting both shafts, props and rudders. The 58' Krogen is a good example. A centerline keel running about 75% of the length, then twin keels on either side which the shafts pass through, full skegs supporting the base of the rudders. An additional benefit, the boat can sit upright on its own. When Nordhavn does a twin engine install I believe they also have twin keels.

I have seen twins with skegs that have foot plate attached to rudders almost had my boat built that way. Decided against it because of extra water resistance.

Why is it that only single screw boats can have a skeg protected prop and rudder. It's one of the things that I second guess about looking at different boats. there must be away or does it create too much drag etc. Or maybe I haven't seen enough bottoms, but it seems like I have.

While there are rare exceptions, "go faster" boats eschew fully-protective skegs/keel. My "go slower" boat has a keel protecting propeller and rudder.

ry%3D400

Most (if not all) of the Great Harbour trawlers have their props protected by twin skegs.

Most twin engine nordhavn's have twin keels that fully protect the props.

Last edited:
Not quite all Oliver...none of the twin 57's had them.

Via iPhone.

Oh wow, thanks didn't know that. Didn't even know they made the 57 in twins.

Last edited:
I believe they made three, one was powered with cats the others were lugger.

Via iPhone.

The Marlow Mainship 32 has twin Yanmars turning saildrives that have " a hydrodynamically efficient, fiberglass construct around the propshaft that both protects the shaft and aids in efficiency." Power & Motoryacht

I believe Krogan use proper twin skegs on their twin engine boats.

Twin screw Marlow Yachts have prop protection with what David Marlow calls the Velocijet Keel, (maybe be incorrect spelling) The shafts are enclosed and the props protected.
I saw one that was hauled after running aground, some minor fiberglass damage no prop damage.

My 3870 Bayliner uses prop pockets with a center keel. This gives a fairly shallow draft 3'2" and gives some protection to the props. A owner with the same model ran aground on sand while doing the loop, he was running at 10 knots. He had it hauled to check for damage, other than rubbing off some of the bottom paint there was no hull, prop or shaft damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom