Windlass ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed Oliver I have heard of them. Thanks

No problem. After a quick google search this is what I came up with.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399389557.982627.jpg

I'm reworking this one that I bought used for $150 . I bought a gear from a local bearing house and I had a couple parts made . I've got around $300 in it now . It's a little old and rough around the edges but so am I and my boat .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 86
Looks like a good winch but I'm considering it an east coast item as it would only be practical for shallow water and short rodes unless the skipper is a gorilla and a fast one at that. How long would it take to carank up 150 to 200' of chain? Does look like a good winch though.

Thanks for the pics guys.

Looks like a good winch but I'm considering it an east coast item as it would only be practical for shallow water and short rodes unless the skipper is a gorilla and a fast one at that. How long would it take to carank up 150 to 200' of chain? Does look like a good winch though.

Thanks for the pics guys.

My little Lewmar 1000 ProSeries will lift 1000 lbs at 105 ft/min. I bet this windlass would do at least that, if not much better.

But even the same, it's just 2 mins to lift 200 ft. That's not long.....we're retired!! What's the rush? ;) :ermm: :D

The thing below the winch looks like a winch...it has a hole in it so I think it had another (spare) chain rode in it. It has a little door in it with rusty hinges so it no longer resides there. I thought I had put a photo on here before, but here goes...

Pooched that. Try again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 156
WOW the picture Xbank.

That's a serious boat and having spent a lot of my life in Alaska I can relate.

Great visibility and I'll bet you feel she's part ship. With that tall aft wheelhouse she smacks of the north sea trawlers. When you step out of the wheelhouse you want to be sober .. right?

Do you charter w her? Her name suggests perhaps a strong connection to the Queen Charlotte Is or is it a different "Gawaii".

Last edited:
No, amongst other things she spent 5 years with Parks Canada servicing Haida Gwaii, looking after the watchmen in their various outposts. She is a proven rough water boat despite her fairly flat bottom (she has a good keel aft) and I've found her quite dry. She had been neglected for a few years and I'm currently installing a new muffler in the stack as the straight pipe was way too loud. I also re-installed the stabilizers as the previous owner removed them as not being necessary. I'm still not sure I'll keep them but I have to get more experience with her. She's a b**ch to maneuver slow in a blow as the bow tends to go its own way. I'm considering adding a drinking water tank in the forward compartment to help with that, more mass up there can't hurt(?). I'm also removing or replacing any steel parts which have started to rust and stain the hull. Amsteel on the winches, new galvanized turnbuckles, that sort of thing. Practical first, looks later. I also need a bigger anchor, 80 to 100 pounds is probably the max as she doesn't weigh too much but she has windage. Let me know if you hear of a good anchor buy!

I gave some thought to chartering her as she did some work as a research vessel and did dive charters in her past but not this year. She has deficiencies, such as a 1 gallon coolant expansion tank when she should have 5, the noisy exhaust etc. which I am correcting. Just got a new expansion tank but it's not yet installed, the coolant alarm is in the engine room, etc. Soon.

Last edited:
How long would it take to carank up 150 to 200' of chain?

IN 200 ft of water it would be slow as the 40-1 gear would be preferred.

In 30 ft of water , no big deal with Hi Speed 10-1.

AusCan- Looks like nobody took you up on the question of using material on the drum to allow the chain to grab. This has been in my thought pattern as well. Manyboat (Eric) and I have had conversation on this as he has a drum winch. With our boat being in the small catagory where hand lining the anchor over the years was not the challenge age brings, having a winch now that the anchor is becoming heavier each year. A small winch seems the way to go and a drum winch is of he smaller. I am in the process of narrowing down the choices. One of the nagging questions is yours. There has been a couple of comments that the drum will not handle chain nor are they intended to. The other is the fear that the chain will in effect distruct the gear assembly with the rattling the chain will cause on the drum. With the choice of the drum and having 35 feet of chain in play, I wonder if wrapping the drum with say, Garillia tape, several wraps, would serve to grab the chain. Yes, one would have to replace the tape on occasion for sure, yet throwing an extra wrap of the chain on the drum with the tape in place seemingly would allow bringing the chain up and over without hand over hand.
Thanks for asking the question even though it flew over the coo-coo nest.
Al::socool:

Al - I found where I had read about the combination capstan. It was urethane, rather than neoprene which was suggested on the Ideal Windlass website.

http://www.idealwindlass.com

"For small boats using short lengths of chain up to about a fathom, Ideal offers a urethane capstan size 1 or 2 designed to accept chain in the same manner as line. They grip the chain sufficiently while not becoming scarred. They are available on Size 1 windlasses only."

I have to check which size windlass I have when I get home, but it sounds like a simple solution.

I think "handling" chain is unreasonably dangerous and an unnecessary risk. A friend of mine had to rescue a lady whose glove got caught and her hand was pulled into the wildcat. She was not strong enough to pull the boat in with one hand as the wind was blowing, so he climbed aboard and pulled in the boat and released the chain, then they had to take her to a hospital for repairs.
The less handling you can do, the better.

Alemao,
What are those two things that look like folding arms on top of the capstan?

My guess would be for manually using the windlass?

I believe they're grips for tightening/releasing the brake/clutch pack. Later versions have two large holes in the same area for inserting a spanner wrench to perform that function.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom