New to me Type of anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
I've recently seen (Wish I took pics) anchors, fluke type but the flukes are not so narrow or angular as the current Danforth type. More leaf shaped and a little broader. These were in a boat salvage yard. Also saw some on older fishing boats. Maybe older Danforth's If you are familiar do they work well.

Anchor

navy anchor.jpg Does the anchor in question look like this?

Those style along with what is called a Navy style anchor are what are found commonly on larger vessels. I am not a big fan of either. They really rely on their weight to hold in my opinion. And do not hook up well.

Plus a lot of boat builders under size those anchors when they supply them with the vessel when new.

Is it either one of these?

The first one is a Navy anchor and the second is called a Dreadnought. I'm in possession of the latter and have used it. Fastest setting anchor I've ever experienced.

Attachments

• STH71218 copy.jpg
    STH71218 copy.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0206 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0206 copy 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 113
Are you seriously going to try to guess without a picture?

Sorry neither one. These are not heavy monsters. They are like the Danforths or West Marine Performance fluke anchors however the blades are more rounded or leaf shape. I'll try to take pictures and re post.

Anchor

OK, how about one of these?

Attachments

• tv anchor.jpg
    tv anchor.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 99
  • ibm5150.jpg
    ibm5150.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 109
close. looks more like a kedge however.

Took pictures. Now how do I post them here? I'm not the best with computers.

Here we go. Lets see if I can attach the pictures. You guys familiar with these? Stouter than a typical Danforth. Probably same performance. Likes the looks better. Doesn't do any good if they don't perform better

Attachments

• IMG-20140506-00194.jpg
    IMG-20140506-00194.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG-20140506-00195.jpg
    IMG-20140506-00195.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 106
Here we go. Lets see if I can attach the pictures. You guys familiar with these? Stouter than a typical Danforth. Probably same performance. Likes the looks better. Doesn't do any good if they don't perform better
Britany anchor?

Yes that is a Britany.

I think a Danforth is better.

I don't know if all Britany's have the "reverse pads" like those in the pics but they are interesting. They obviously hook the bottom and transfer the force to the front of the flukes to help them set. The regular pads just raise the back end of the anchor to give the flukes an angle of attack. I think the "ramp pad" is better than the "hook pad" but ??????

I checked my anchor test that included a Britany but it was stockless. And it suffered because of it in the test. It had the typical Danforth "ramp pad" sothat may not be a feature of the Britany anchor ??? They had a diver in fairly clear water and the Britany rolled up on it's side and did little or less. The Britany's in jclay's pics have long stocks so may perform well. I see some of them have stout shanks.

Last edited:
I don't think its a Britany anchor. Does not look like anything I can come up with on the internet. The anchor I photographed appears to be a variant of a Danforth. there are some markings on the shank but it's too old to read. Might by it. Looks like a 30 pounder. Too big for a 30ft 9,500lb boat?

jclays,
Maybe it becomes another type w/o the stock. Look at

"yachting Monthly -...r Test Nov09-1.pfd"

The anchor they claim as a Britney did not have the pads that your anchors in the pics have and it also had no stock. The "pads" on the anchors in your pics are more like hooks than the typical ramp style Danforth "pads".

If you get this sorted out please share.

Re your "too big?" comment I've anchored a 30' boat numerous times (once in a 35 knot wind overnight) w a 13lb Danforth. So if you want to be fairly secure w that type of anchor at 30lbs in a blow (40-45knots) looks like it's not too big. But unless you had the perfect bottom at 50 knots I'd feel clearly insecure so I'd say ... not too big. Please don't sue me if it dosn't work too pretty good.

Last edited:
Link not complete.

Back
Top Bottom