Isinglass maintenance / repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
I've recently developed some cracks in a few panels of the isinglass of my bridge enclosure.* The glass had grown stiff and hazy, and when I went to roll up the panel I heard a loud crack.* Now there is a crack that will surely get bigger every time the panel gets rolled up or touched.

- Can I repair this temporarily with clear tape?* Is this a waste of time?* Is there a better way to repair the crack or at least prevent it from "running" ?

- the PO had some UV protectant cleaner which I haven't bothered to apply.* Does this help?* How much?

- What do y'all use to clean your glass?*

Thanks

Woody

What do y'all use to clean your glass?

I have used lemon pledge furniture polish which seems to me to work as well as the special sprays made for that purpose, the pledge is much cheaper.
Steve W.

Hiya,
* Just my $.02.* Yes you can use clear tape but it's just that-temporary (possibly VERY temporary).* I think she's done and past the point of applying anything (your UV polish).* I'm sure with the expertise on this board someone will know of a solution if, in fact, there is one other than replacing the plastic but I don't think so.
* Good luck.

Woody,

I use 210.* It comes as a cleaner and scratch remover.

http://sumnerlabs.com/

This is the site of the folks that make it.* As you can see from the site it is an Avaition product.

If you are at the point that it is cracking you may be to far down the road to salvage any of it.* But here is what I would do with the one that cracked already.* Take a small drill bit and drill a hole at the end of the crack.* Make sure you cover all of the crack with the hole, so judge the drill bit size as such.* This should stop the crack from continuing.

Thanks guys, this is just what I was looking for.* I know replacement is in the works but for now I'm just trying to keep the problem areas from getting any worse.

It is strange since the left-front and side*panels looks in bad shape but the center and right front*panels are like new.* I can only assume that the panels on the let got more sun exposure, therefore the query about UV protectant and whether it is worth the effort.

Lemon Pledge works great for normal cleaning and maintenance. Once the vinyl starts to turn yellow and brittle pretty much nothing will bring it back. That being said, I understand automatic transmission fluid (ATF) will turn hazy headlight covers clear again. If you have some around, couldn't hurt trying some on a small spot.

Island girl makes some really good products as well:
http://www.islandgirlproducts.com/

BTW, I know we all use the term Isinglass to refer to clear vinyl, but that's not included in the definition of the word:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/isinglass*

<h2 class="def-header">Definition of ISINGLASS</h2>1
: a semitransparent whitish very pure gelatin prepared from the air bladders of fishes (as sturgeons) and used especially as a clarifying agent and in jellies and glue

: mica especially when in thin transparent sheets; especially : muscovite 2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom