Refer compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKFish

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Custom 45' Steel Trawler
Im going to start by recognizing that I should just prepare to spend a couple of boat bucks on this...but, my refer just gave up the cold. I had some work done last year and things seemed to be working ok. The coldbox fan went out a few weeks ago so I found a replacement and it was working better than ever...untill the compressor seemed to quit the other day. I took out the fridge and saw this corrosion near the tube at the compressor. Th voltages look right but it will try to start then quit in 2 seconds. This looks like the gas has escaped. Is this a repair, compressor replacement or a new refer? What do you see? Its an Isotherm over under.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140504_193745.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140504_193745.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20140504_193811.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140504_193811.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20140504_193901.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140504_193901.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 109
Might not have anything to do with the cruddy looking lines, it could be as simple as a bad capacitor or starter contactor. Sometime condensation forms on the lines and they get surface corrosion, does not mean it leaked the gas. Test the capacitor first. A bad cap will cause comp to power up in a stall condition and trip on overcurrent, in a few seconds. A fluke meter can test the cap, or just try another one. Next, hook up a manifold and check the gas pressures.

Okay. The power supply looked good, so I must have to look in the black box mounted on the compressor. There are two power lead going into this box that has a PCB mounted to it. This must house the motor controls. It is likely that this has frozen during the winter, so a bad cap is a possibility. Thanks for the lead. I will report back.

Check pressure first. Start capacitor next. Have someone turn it on and when you feel the compressor hum, hit it with a big rubber hammer. If it starts and runs and pressure is ok add a hardstart kit. It will probably not last another 10 years, or it may run till you sell the boat, or your widow or exwife sells the boat.

So I turned on the power to test and the compressor fired right up and things were cool, figuratively and literally. I turned off the thermostat and installed the refer then turned the dial and...no joy.

It looks like a bad controller. One is on order but I cannot locate this daughter card that the fan and thermostat connect to. Its hard to see but it is in the controller's spade connectors. I saw a fridgeboat type called a Merlin but this one is a mystery.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140510_103920.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140510_103920.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20140510_103945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140510_103945.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 87
I love it... Everyone else I tell to smack the compressor thinks I'm nuts. I am duly impressed, carry on.

this should be the first step in troubleshooting anything tougher than a laptop.. all too often it works!
HOLLYWOOD

Fixed...it was the controller. Thanks, SkiNC. Great suggestion and it cost $200 instead of $2000.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom