Ice Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I saw this in Walmart this morning and thought "wow! This is the smallest one I ever saw and would be perfect for my dinghy" - Just kidding.
Anyway, it was $96 in the store and for another 10 bucks I got the 2 year replacement warranty.
Supposedly make 26 lbs/day with the first small batch ready in 6 minutes. This is way more that I would need but would free up some valuable freezer space.
After running for a few days, I will determine whether it was a good deal or not.

It is only about 10 X 10 X 15" long.

Disclaimer: My surname is NOT Walton.

Attachments

• P5040012.jpg
    P5040012.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 172
Wow indeed! I'm going to check this out next time I'm at Wal-Mart. I look forward to your follow-up.

I'm interested in how it works Tony. I purchased a similar unit from Best Buy 2 years ago and returned it as it made a wet mess of our countertop.

I love the concept though.

We tried 3 of them, the 1st lasted one year, the second and third never worked out of the box. Great concept very poorly executed.

i have had one for a few years now. It is OK. the ice tends to melt quick...what i found is that it may MAKE 25#/day but the basket holds 2# so you have to babysit it in order to make more than ice for cocktails. I ended up taking the basket of mine and letting the ice dump into the water tank. This makes it a little better that way. It will eventually use all the water and you will have nothing but a tank full of ice.

So far it works great, but, it is still new. LOL

The cubes are about the size of an average man's tip-of-thumb to the first joint. Not very big, which is a plus with me. As previously mentioned, it doesn't make much at one time which in our case is not an issue. We just want it for a few cold drinks when at anchor or on the run. If we think we will need more, we will probably fill the ice chest during the day's run when full-day cruising and replenish as ice melts.

At the dock, well, we will probably buy ice if we need a lot.

This is by no means a 'party' ice maker. We don't run the gen. when at anchor, we just use the inverter which runs the frige. As the freezer empties of food, we will make cubes in it.
The ice maker is just a nicety when on the go.

Now to see how long it will last.

Critique

We love the size of the 'cube's and in 30 minutes there is enough for several drinks. The size of the unit is small enough to be tucked in just about anywhere.

The cubes last way longer than an average drink so there is no problem there. On the flip side, the ice is not that cold in the sense that the cubes don't last that long in an ice chest. Since we can make more than we normally consume, this too is not an issue for us.

Overall, if you just want fresh ice cubes and don't need to store any, this is a great value for under a hundred bucks. We are very happy with it.

Tony B

Back
Top Bottom