View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #38
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peter wrote;
"I have a CHB 34, and I cannot conceive of the moving of just 4 bats about 2-3 feet for'd as having that much effect either"

First there's the question "what if that's been done 10 times over the years?"

But over thirty years or so much weight and many things could get moved around by the above philosophy but probably the biggest offender getting out of trim is add ons. And after 20 or 30 years one could be shocked to find how far one's boat was out of trim. And probably there is room for stuff where the designer and manufacturer avoided putting stuff. Consider a V drive boat w the engines aft. The designer and manufacturer probably put things fwd to compensate for the weight aft leaving plenty of space aft to get filled up w stuff over the years aft. The obvious could likely happen and people don't often feel the need to consult w the designer before adding weight to their boats. Frequently a slightly undesirable situation could be made worse or even bad given the boat's history.

The Willard 30' line of boats had one or two models w the engine quite a bit further fwd than others. There's generally more space aft though and I think generally a boat is more seaworthy w an aft CG than a fwd CG. But some boats (like a 32 NT) have a big fuel tank in the Lazerette. Since fuel isn't a fixed amount of weight I wonder what the designer was thinking. Probably by the time there was room consumed by a gen set, holding tank/s, batteries, air conditioning and other stuff there was no more room left for the fuel tank/s.

One of my jobs at Uniflite (when I worked there years ago) was to move heavy installations around (dwg and design wise) to bring the boat's port/stbd trim as level as possible for most of the installations that would be required for a given group of options. Most boats went out w a slight list (all if ya wana to get nitty) but some went out w more. Always considered acceptable of course but no one knew what the owners over the years would add or remove from the boat. And of course when someone sights a whale to one side all 10 people aboard move as far as possible to that side. Never mind that the fuel tank on the other side was the only one low and the whale side full.

From pics on TF the most common out of trim condition I see is bow down.

My Willard has grooves in the plastic hull to make it look like a wood boat and not far above the WL (4" or so) there is an additional groove that is horizontal. I've thought for some time it could be trim and max load WL.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote