View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I don't know if he was looking down his nose at the Sea Ray.
He certainly wasn't looking down at the depth sounder.

I was surprised that the sea Ray was able to pull him off.

I guess there are some considerate boaters on the ICW.

He did offer to buy the Sea Ray skipper a cocktail. KJ
Couple O' "Ol' Salt" Observations Here:

1. With today's new/hi-tech equipment pervading the "money is no object" big-boat market... I'm finding that some of the "New" boat Captains (in their 20's/30's) seem to think that the new/hi-tech equipment offers fail-safe programs that answer all navigation questions by simply looking nonstop at numerous screens with fancy, colorful, moving pictures, and fast changing numbers/graphs/squiggely-lines. GEEEZZZZ guys and gals!

2. Did bright big-boat Captain bother to put his/her big-boat in reverse?? Reverse thrust of the big-boat would provide MANY times the power of little Sea Ray. But, somewhat in big-boat Captain's defense... maybe he/she felt it dangerous to turn the props (so - only use lateral thrusters... like that would work!?!?), feeling the props might be also aground because after finally looking at the boring depth sounder when hard aground (whose sending unit may be toward front of big-boat where it is grounded)... reading "0" depth. That's when you take piece of line with weight attached and manually check depth (ya know - old-school "mark twain" and all that) at big-boat rear where props are located. Again, GEEEZZZZ Of course, in all fairness to big-boat Captain; it could also be that even with big-boat in reverse it was necessary to have the little Sea Ray’s miniscule extra power to pull big-boat’s nose off of ground... doubtful, but maybe that was required???

3. Taint nutten like bein an Ol' Salt Boat Captain! Following is basically all that is needed to correctly pilot/use a boat:

a. Boat Handling Capability - i.e. sea keeping and close-quarters boating knowledge as well as much ability (professional, Rube Goldberg or otherwise) to rectify mostly any mechanical/electronic problems that may arise,
b. Compass,
c. Depth Sounder,
d. Current Paper Charts,
e. Binoculars,
f. Wrist Watch,
g. Paper Tablet - with pen/pencil... and, oh yeah, I almost forgot;
h. Open Eyes that don't fixate on equipment screens and that consistently survey all surroundings and boat portions!

Knowen whats cha b doen, an, haven dems eight (8) simple items in hand... dere's jus bout taint no place in da world yas cants go wit a boat - and - STAY AFLOAT!!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote