New, just joined this great site!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Craig!
for sure mate! damn good name that!
Cheers
Craig :)

Cheers Mark,

When i finally get her back in the juice and finish the super structure She will be a pearler!

Hey Hopcar,
yes saw some pretty artistic vids from firefly.
Typing upside down, just need to turn ur computer upside down dont ya??
Hehe
i reacon he must have typed it, taken a photo and then turned photo upside down ..
I wouldnt know im not the best with computers!

Greetings,
Mr. HC. "...you type upside down?" Mr. Hendo alluded to it in post #29.

RJBOsVl.gif

Hahaha Craig's is floating mate so there's no contest. Now if it were a battle of the handstands then that'd be a different story haha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Hey Hendo, mine is out of the water now doing the work on it and keeping the water on her so she wont open up.
By the way I have mastered the one hand hand stand if there a contest! haha

Welcome to the forum Craigstarr

You're starting your dream I am launching mine here in Brazil.
God bless you and be persistent. Some times you'll need some persistence, and when you do, come here and read some. It will work like Redbull, it will give you wings

Rgs

Chris,
Re gearboxes, talk to Wes Jordan in Brisbane he is the Marine Gearbox guru. Welcome to Marine Transmissions
He may even be able to trade your 509 or change the ratio as required.
Given 1/2 a chance I will run your figures thru Boatdiesel and come up with some figures.
Waterline length, beam at water line , weight required. PM these to me and we will see what it comes up with.
I will use the Gardner at 150 HP at 1500 RPM
I am running a 3:1 box and turning a 36 x 32 prop. These figs are approx. as I have had it retuned a couple of times since I installed the Gardner.
Gary Bryant (Gary Gardner) is the main man in Brisbane but is hard to contact , even harder to get action from and is my age so is getting out of the business, that was a lot of help wasn't it.
I have another guy down at Tweed Heads who is in the same league as Gary.
I will dig out his info and pass it on to you.
Will be interesting to watch your project.
Cheers
Benn

PS just a quickie. I ran some figures , using waterline length 52 ft, weight 32 tonne.
Comes up with a gearbox ratio of 2.6:1 turning a 4 bladed 34 x 30" prop.

Last edited:
Chris,
That box may be just the goods and the prop won't be too far off.
Depends on what weight the boat comes in at.
The smaller ratios can be more efficient.
It will be interesting to see what the calculator comes up with.
Remember you are now a cruising boat not hauling nets around so high ratio and big props are sometimes not the best answer.

Props, Rogers and Lough (Allan Lough) in Brisbane are good and so is his brothers business Performance Propellers Colin Lough.

Cheers
Benn

Morning Benn,

Thanks for the contacts, i went and saw Brian Rogers in brisbane an awesome bloke very helpful, and he gave the figures
for my gardner at 180 Hp but i have since found i need to re rate it for marine to 150 HP So my figures would be out and i would have to
put the new figures in...

6LXB at 1250 RPM. rated at 150 BHP at 1500 RP that you run your Gardner on would that be a general rule for 150 HP?

I saw a Bloke in Cairns who thinks i should be using a 48 inch prop 42 pitch and 4:1 box ratio

My Displacement Hull is probably around 60 Tonnes
My Waterline length = 56 Feet
My Beam 5.5 m
Its Gross tonnes is 90 Tonnes
Its Net Tonnes is 49.86

Im guessing it would be around 60 Tonnes now it could be less as its got all of the Trawling gear off it.

It had a Draft of 2.8 M now its around 2.5 M

My Engine is not in the boat now as i have to find the Gearbox and prop first then i will start the process of moving the
engine room aft.

Thanks for your Info Benn

Cheers
Craig

Thanks RGS,

Congrats on your launch mate! And ur from the beautiful Brazil! i plan to go to brazil hopefully end of this year for my business!
Thats right i think this Forum will give me Wings like red bull so many friendly helpful people on here!
Cheers mate

Craig,
In reality I think for the size of boat an 8LXB would have been a better propulsion unit.
But I have attached the prop calculations from Boat diesel using the basic data from your post.
The 6LXB will do the job but at times you may be up on the RPM closer to 1500.
I am having trouble posting the file as it is a .docx file and attachments have to be PFD or .doc.
Will try again later.
Cheers
Benn

Last edited:
Welcome to the Aussie contingent on here Craig. Your boat looks to have amazing potential for cruising - even real passage-making.

I'm guessing the Brice McLaren that designed your trawler, (an actual trawler, unlike our wannabe trawlers), was not the motor racing Kiwi Bruce McLaren who founded the McLaren racing team, but a different Bruce McLaren, right..?

Craig..
Looks like were in the same boat mate (HaHa) lots to do. Welcome to the forum mate loads of good people and knowledge hear. best place to go looking for info is where someone has travelled on the road before us in my opinion.
Troy

Welcome aboard Craig.
I normally warn new folks about RT Firefly, but you've already encountered his humor. He's smart but nuts.

No, RT has "perspective."

"No, RT has "perspective." "

Mark, I like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom