"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tony, welcome to the world of Halvorsen and Island Gypsy. Some of us are on the other side of the world, some are probably quite close, all are just a click away if you need to discuss something. A lot of design "know how" has been built into the brand. Halvorsen, in Australia, go back a long way as designers and builders of yachts,power boats,and small commercial vessels.
BruceK, Sydney Australia

=Andy G;83395]Hi Tony, let me be the first to welcome you to the venerable IG owners forum, some of us here are more venerable than others, but on the whole we are a supportive bunch proud of our IG's.

How about some photo's of your new 32.[/QUOTE]

These photos were taken last year by the PO. I hope to be snapping my own pictures in about 4-5 weeks.

Tony

at_anchor.jpg

Hull.jpeg

salon_aft-1.jpeg

transom-1.jpeg

Tony:

Nice looking Europa indeed. What year was she built and what is her hull #?

It is a 1995 IG32 Europa, hull #135.

Tony

Just arrived into San Diego for the summer. Great cruising along Baja over the winter months, ‘CrewZin’ 2003 IG 32 Euro #157 preformed outstanding throughout the journey. The crew is looking forward to meeting other IG’s in the SD area.

Attachments

• P1020158.jpg
    P1020158.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 192
Just arrived into San Diego for the summer. Great cruising along Baja over the winter months, ‘CrewZin’ 2003 IG 32 Euro #157 preformed outstanding throughout the journey. The crew is looking forward to meeting other IG’s in the SD area.

Griff: Check your PMs.

Hello all. New Halvorsen owner here. Just purchased a 2004 GC32 and really looking forward to cruising on her. Great to have this website for advise.

image-2789547865.jpg

I would like to make contact with some other Halvorsen owners. I have a lot of questions that the books don't answer and having been a sailor there are some equipment differences that puzzle me. I will arrange to have a mechanic go over everything with me when the weather breaks but thought some insight from others would help me prepare ahead.

Congratulations Bill, happy Halvo boating. I`m guessing the Gourmet Cruiser owners will be most help, I`m sure those of us with aging IGs are happy to help if we can. The Halvorsen history in Australia goes back many years; at one time they operated the largest cruiser hire fleet anywhere, of cruisers which they built, many of which are still happily afloat.

I`m sure those of us with aging IGs are happy to help if we can. .

AGING IG'S! Hurrumph.

"Would you call me an aged man-o-war, doctor? The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime."
Jack Aubrey to Stephen Maturin "Master and Commander"

Signal from flag sir

"Captn of Doriana to repair aboard the flagship with papers immediately."

Last edited:
AGING IG'S! Harrumph....
"Captn of Doriana to repair aboard the flagship with papers immediately."
Perhaps if I`d put "gracefully" before "aging" ( beauty before age ?) I`d have avoided my current fate.

is there an Iphone app for locating these Gourmet Cruisers

I would like to make contact with some other Halvorsen owners. I have a lot of questions that the books don't answer and having been a sailor there are some equipment differences that puzzle me. I will arrange to have a mechanic go over everything with me when the weather breaks but thought some insight from others would help me prepare ahead.

Bill, I sent you a PM with contact info for SeaHorseII.

Bill, I sent you a PM with contact info for SeaHorseII.

Poor boy. You fed him to the Shark. :eek:

Seriously, Seahorse II is an excellent source of GC knowledge and he has an outstanding GC.

BruceK, I am extremely new to TF...not even sure how to properly use the site or post our boats pix. Enjoying all the posts by TF members. We bought a Halverson Gourmet 32 a year ago and are looking for other owners. I saw you sent someone else to Sea Horse. I would love to ask him a few questions as well. We have our 2003 owners manual but it is lacking in many ways. Thanks for any help you can offer.

BruceK, I am extremely new to TF...not even sure how to properly use the site or post our boats pix. Enjoying all the posts by TF members. We bought a Halverson Gourmet 32 a year ago and are looking for other owners. I saw you sent someone else to Sea Horse. I would love to ask him a few questions as well. We have our 2003 owners manual but it is lacking in many ways. Thanks for any help you can offer.
First up, welcome aboard.
I`ve not seen posts from Seahorse 2 in a while, people come, go, and return. You could send a PM (Private Message), see if he responds.
I`m hopeless using IT, but if you hit "quote", an option at the foot of this post, just to see what happens, you`ll see "Additional Options". The second box is for "Managing Attachments", hit that and at the top you get the ability to upload files, pics, etc, from your computer. It takes a while, about 3 is max for me, but I can manage it.
If you have specific technical or other questions, raise them by another post. IG/Halvo and others will usually respond.
My Manual is 1981! 2 bound volumes, pristine condition, but no use to you.

Welcome aboard!

Halverson GC 32 - folding swimstep refit

We purchased our Gourmet Cruiser Oct. 2012 and she has been in the yard twice for upgrades (last winter and 4 months currently). It came with a folding swim-step (any of you have one?) and we were concerned about the swim-step folding in following seas. Also, wanted to get rid of the intrusive swim-step cables for safer access to the transom door. We had SS braces attached below to create a very strong swim-step support for our new, heavier dinghy and motor.

In addition, had SS hand rails added around the cockpit along with a forward hand grips under the eyebrow, port and starboard. The new hand rails are not in the way of starboard or port access. Getting on and off through transom and going forward on the outside will feel safer now. Very glad to have had them installed. I have seen pix of other GC with cockpit handrails added but it seems most do not.

Boat still in yard getting more upgrades. The cold rain and freezing weather has prevented yard from completing all the outside work but things are now getting done. On the few sunny days, I have begun to remove varnish...

Hi,
Just launched our 2002 Island Gypsy Europa (Eurosedan) River Horse in Rockland, Maine. We are from Galveston, TX and now understand why we are one of the few pleasure boats docked in the Rockland Harbor in late April. We will be cruising Penobscot Bay this summer and then bring her down to Galveston.
Jos

Greetings! We have a Halverson Gourmet Cruiser and it is a very close cousin to the Island Gypsy. Both are nice boats. Best wishes for a great cruising season.

Hi,
Just launched our 2002 Island Gypsy Europa (Eurosedan) River Horse in Rockland, Maine. We are from Galveston, TX and now understand why we are one of the few pleasure boats docked in the Rockland Harbor in late April. We will be cruising Penobscot Bay this summer and then bring her down to Galveston.
Jos

Welcome aboard.

Yes, you jumped the gun a bit on the Maine boating season. It gets better soon and the cruising out of Rockland is great.

Just took our cover off today and planning to launch in two weeks.

We seem to have quite the fleet of IG 32s and one 36 in Maine.

There are two in Buck's Harbor, of which we are one.

There are two or three in the Boothbay/Robinhood area.

Will our eyes peeled for River Horse and look us up should you get to Buck's (which is a must harbor to visit).

Hello to all friends , does anyone know what size of propellers comes from the factory in the IG 36 with twin Lehman's super 275 turbos ????
I'm having trouble to find out the correct size for my IG 36
Thanks Rene

1995 Halvorsen 51, raised pilot house, new to me, but still right side up.

David, in haste again, mine was build at Polymarine shipyard a couple of hours by ferry from HK. I saw Albins built there as well as a Spanish and Australian brand, and some fast boats that they build for Chinese navy. I understand that all Halvorsens have been built at Polymarine since they cut ties with JetTern some years ago (where Walt's boat was built, and who now build Selenes).

Here some pikkies (below)....

Photos of boat under construction will have to follow later.

You have more interior space than me, so just imagine how relatively little storage I have! The lazarette and my under-seat lockers in the cockpit and on the flybridge privide good space for cleaning materials and all out outdoor toys, but everything else has to fit into just a few little lockers in the forward cabin and in the icebox under the settee. As it happens, we are just weekend cruisers, so the space is enough for us.

Fyg, when new (and before we brought all out toys on board!), we got the following speed/consumption figures:

1400 rpm: 7 kts, 2.2 gph
1800 rpm: 8.2 kts, 4.9 gph
2200 rpm: 9.5 kts, 8.7 gph
2600 rpm: 10.7 kts, 13.1 gph
3000 rpm: 13.7 kts, 18.6 gph

Now I'm struggling to see 12 knots despite keeping my bum clean, so I put that down to the extra weight I have collected over the months. Will collect data again soon, now that she is in dock having new antifoul applied.

I'm no expert, but it has struck me that these are not the most efficient hulls around. Any particular thoughts on what*we are getting in return for that investment in fuel? What does your IG have that your old boat didn't have?

All the best,
Mark

I just reviewed your fuel burn #s and wonder why so high? What does your boat weigh? My 34,000 lb twin engine burns about 6g/9.5k and at 10.7k 11g/hr at 14k 17g/hr

Gourmet Cruiser reporting in

Haven't been back to Trawler Forum in a while...update: We have made several improvements on the boat over the last year and a half. Quite happy with her now. New electronics, new larger dinghy, non-skid cockpit, new stainless cockpit railings and forward cabin hand grips. She's a sweet boat for 13 years young.

Attachments

• P1010190.jpg
    P1010190.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 104
Haven't been back to Trawler Forum in a while...update: We have made several improvements on the boat over the last year and a half. Quite happy with her now. New electronics, new larger dinghy, non-skid cockpit, new stainless cockpit railings and forward cabin hand grips. She's a sweet boat for 13 years young.
Nice pic,can`t be easy fixing a sheet of glass over the water.:)

New to the forum for IG's

Here is a picture of my brand new, very old, 1982 Island Gypsy.

I'm trying to figure out how the fly bridge cover installs. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• Boat photo 2.jpg
    Boat photo 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 121
Rick, I have a "boot" (if it was a sports car I`d call it a tonneau cover) which extends from the front of the FB to the rear of the seating. It goes over the tinted windscreen, is secured with toggles on the front panel of the FB, and along the sides, at the rear it has elasticized "shock cord" back to points on the railing either side, plus a central line to a saddle screwed to the "mast".
Any competent covers maker should be able to help you. You need to have one, you do not want that area getting wet and dirty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom