Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hendo go for separate if possible for sure. We have a combination head and shower - it is reasonably roomy, so we do use it and it works, but separate is better. Hey remember how taken you were with the Integrity design - well the 34 has a separate set-up - see here……
340 Sedan Â*- Integrity Motor Yachts
Also the 380, (with an option with combo to fit in a second stateroom). And the 440 has enough room for both. Your vessel falls somewhere in between, so you should be able to pull it off.

An aft a head with cockpit access..? Can't think of any real reason unless the boat is very large, and you take out many people, or you are so obsessed with fishing you won't leave the rod long enough to use the inside head. It would certainly not be on unless it was a second head in my view. Think of those night visits - which, take my word for it, get more frequent as one gets older...

Last edited:
Peter B
A head off the cockpit will be better ventilated; it is higher so easier flow to holding tank. Also separated from sleeping quarters, so the rest of the crew don't have to listen to (or smell) you during your nightly visit. A 20 foot walk during the night rather than a 5 foot walk is a small price to pay, IMO.

Peter B
A head off the cockpit will be better ventilated; it is higher so easier flow to holding tank. Also separated from sleeping quarters, so the rest of the crew don't have to listen to (or smell) you during your nightly visit. A 20 foot walk during the night rather than a 5 foot walk is a small price to pay, IMO.

Cut the bottom out of the bucket, and install a toilet seat. This could solve a lot of problems. Dogs think humans have it backwards. You know----cooking in the yard, and using the toilet in the house. Just doesn't seem right somehow.

Attachments

• rail mounted potty seat.jpg
    rail mounted potty seat.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 69
Greetings,
Mr. H. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but we have a hot and cold outlet on the aft deck. We have a garden "wand" affixed, via Velcro, to an upright. Showering either "au naturel" or with the appropriate bathing costume keeps any water out of the dedicated head and is immediately at hand for a rinse after a salt water dip. Problem solved IMO.

8650I.jpg

Last edited:
Hendo wrote:

The SARCA being the ultimate in anchor means I won't need two anchors so this really is surplus to my needs

Rex Wrote:
Gee fellers I hope I haven't given the wrong impression hear, Super Sarca, Sarca meaning (sand and reef combination anchor) its design to penetrate many types of sea floors, its automatic reset trip release gives you probably the best chance of retrieval.

The Excel has also proven to set quickly in many types of sea beds, probably every bit as good as the Super Sarca, difference being it does not have a automatic resettable trip release such as the Sarca, due to the Excels design it is not possible to adapt the same trip release to the Excel, but the Excel does have a very good trip design that would have to be manually implemented before deploying.

So yes you certainly would be wise to carry a second anchor simply because if you should loose your primary then you have a back up, further more, you at some time will need a ketch anchor.

The best advise I can give to any body from the many years of observing anchors behaviour, designing and testing of anchors is no anchor is a hundred precent, but as you can see by these passionate anchor discussions there will be many that will continue with new designs believing they can, you cannot knock this endeavour, who knows what can be achieved with belief. I can see many more anchor discussions coming from new designs to see the young up and coming yachters well into their retirement.

Regards
Rex.

Firstly, me mate... That anchor piece you are giving away looks a beaut and will give some TF member plenty of years service. Tiz a fine give it forward gesture you are providing. Don't add my name to the list... Our Tolly's anchor operation in doing fine!

Secondly... Although you mentioned in post # 895 "Thanks folks. Separate it is."; I bring up a quote from AusCan's post # 892 "If you have the room, I'd go separate, but it does take up a bit more space."

Before making decision as to combo or separate I'd recommend careful consideration on boat-space/room-to-live planning. I don't know your boats beam and I as I recall mentioned its tail to nose is 35' (not referring to LOA). Our Tolly tail to nose is 34' with 12'6" beam. We're aboard her right now! Anyway, IMHO... In boats as compact as yours and ours - every sq inch counts! A relatively expansive combo room with entire floor big shower pan and a movable, adjustable shower nozzle spray head... as well as...toilet/sink counter/med-cabinet/wall mirror/towel rack/lighting system... etc can be designed large enough so that all sectors relating toward and including ablution have ample room to be comfortably carried out. In compact pleasure cruisers if rooms are separated things can get darn tight... every wall is another shoulder bumper and every hinged door or slider or curtain is another space taker, i.e. item to get past or around.

Another good thing about combo and its larger open-space/size availability – If you set it up right with water proof fixtures/coatings (therefore not needing any round-a-lay shower curtain at all) the movable shower nozzle/wand becomes an instant wash-down/cleaner for entire head area with shower pan drain for evacuation.

Of course in longer/beamier boats it’s great to have seperates when plenty of room is available... But for compact cruisers such as ours space-to-move-around becomes paramount importance throughout every inch of layout.

Also, think of the %age of time aboard boat you’ll be moving around and doing things in all sectors, always wanting more space to put things and less walls/doors to bump into. Then think of %age of time aboard you will use to shower... Then think how easy to keep a good sized combo head perfectly clean.

For 35’ boat... There’s the answer – Now, what’s the question??? LOL

Good Luck Champ!

Happy Boat Interior Designing Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Cut the bottom out of the bucket, and install a toilet seat. This could solve a lot of problems. Dogs think humans have it backwards. You know----cooking in the yard, and using the toilet in the house. Just doesn't seem right somehow.

Don - Sorta like parking stand still in your "drive" way and driving 80 mph on the "park" way. as my dad often mentioned... Humans are simply "back asswards"! :rofl:

Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup, a combo unit as Mr. Art suggests could work but the first time you have to "wipe" with wet paper will have you questioning your decision. Look how much more elegant and practical MY solution (post #905) is and go for that. I would NOT suggest you use the shower pan for "evacuation" at all.....Just Ewwww......
Along the same lines I question those who have full width saloons without walk around decks. How much time and space do you need inside anyway?

Matt, this is for Felicity-----The Italian version. I think it means happiness.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Yup, a combo unit as Mr. Art suggests could work but the first time you have to "wipe" with wet paper will have you questioning your decision. Look how much more elegant and practical MY solution (post #905) is and go for that. I would NOT suggest you use the shower pan for "evacuation" at all.....Just Ewwww......
Along the same lines I question those who have full width saloons without walk around decks. How much time and space do you need inside anyway?

Dear Mr. Smartie Pants

Term evacuation can be used for several items and meanings. In the case of my intent the word evacuation was meant for "draining" the shower pan... same as in when showering. The "spray-down" of a properly set up head with mobile shower nozzle is simply a really good means to wash the boat's "bathroom's" equipment's exterior, as a good, quick, sanitary way to keep it sparkling cleen - always. Head item's exteriors do need to be washed off ya know - don't cha??

Ewwwww - That you even thought of Ewwwww in my post! :facepalm:

BTW - RT - You seem conversant regarding "wiping" with wet paper... I'll not ask why!!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Spent a couple of hours on AXE this afternoon and worked the transom area. We've Had a lot of rain over the last five days. I did a mercy dash on Friday to tarp her up but when the rains started. I pulled the covers today some rain had found it's way in. All up, 20ltrs got sucked out. Good and bad I suspose. If the water couldn't get out then it won't get in ay! ... It is the season so the next three months will be crappy weather so I need to look at putting a structure/roof over her so I can carry on working the inside and laying up glass over the stringers/ribs etc and painting and fitting the engine bla bla bla.

Tomorrow I'll sand it all, smooth out the fillets and apply the glass on the joins then I can carry on moving forward.

Cheers all

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770079.619873.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770117.421259.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770137.454697.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398770158.546436.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. H. READ THIS WITH YOUR GOOD EYE!!!!!! Wasn't me who used the word "evacuation" it was Mr. Art. (Post # 907 end of fourth paragraph). For you even to suggest I'd do something like that well.....
jbwtf.gif

Greetings,
Mr. H. READ THIS WITH YOUR GOOD EYE!!!!!! Wasn't me who used the word "evacuation" it was Mr. Art. (Post # 907 end of fourth paragraph). For you even to suggest I'd do something like that well....]

HAHAHAHA

Hendo, your generosity is amazing and couldn't come at a better time as I am in the process of ripping my whole bowsprit off.....however, you Aussies should stick together and it should find a new home locally. Now if Auscan finds it doesn't fit his needs....lol

Greetings,
Mr. H. Thanks for the link. Interesting the Captain decided to beach in lieu of taking a chance on a loss, particularly of life.

Hendo - there's another project for you after the Axe is finished.

Greetings,
Mr. H. READ THIS WITH YOUR GOOD EYE!!!!!! Wasn't me who used the word "evacuation" it was Mr. Art. (Post # 907 end of fourth paragraph). For you even to suggest I'd do something like that well.....
jbwtf.gif

And, then, after my clearly stated post #207; My Dear Mr. RT Firefly...

In post 911 I clarified my usage of the word/term “evacuation”... Thusly: And, I quote – “Term evacuation can be used for several items and meanings. In the case of my intent the word evacuation was meant for "draining" the shower pan... same as in when showering.” Upon which in respected humility your post #912 displayed a vid short that could only be taken to mean “... well slap me down!”; of course regarding yourself!

Soooo: It is therefore, my usually congenial boat loving buddy with a knack of and propensity for vid shorts that can knock socks off, totally incorrect for you to request that Matt over use either eye during his recuperation period in silly attempt to discern while where the fault may lay... in this torrid review of combo head or separate shower room; with best way to keep exterior portions of the head sanitary and smellen like a rose!

In attempt to be first in lowering my gun I bring admission that the sentence in post # 907 for which I posted the word “exacuation” would have better served by in its place using the word “drained”.

Spotlight on you RT. A vid short is in order that at least addresses your equal admission to my written admission of semi-guilt.

Thump, Thump, Thump, with arms folded and chin burrower to my chest... It’s my foot your hear thumping the floor while waiting for your vid!

Matt – I apologize for this ongoing segue off your important AXE thread, but, one (in this case, that’s me!) must be careful to not let RTF get too far ahead... or else his ribald vid shorts have been known to remove any possibility of escape!!

Now, back to your regular, wonderful AXE Program!!!

Cheers! – Art! :popcorn:

And, then, after my clearly stated post #207; My Dear Mr. RT Firefly...

In post 911 I clarified my usage of the word/term “evacuation”... Thusly: And, I quote – “Term evacuation can be used for several items and meanings. In the case of my intent the word evacuation was meant for "draining" the shower pan... same as in when showering.” Upon which in respected humility your post #912 displayed a vid short that could only be taken to mean “... well slap me down!”; of course regarding yourself!

Soooo: It is therefore, my usually congenial boat loving buddy with a knack of and propensity for vid shorts that can knock socks off, totally incorrect for you to request that Matt over use either eye during his recuperation period in silly attempt to discern while where the fault may lay... in this torrid review of combo head or separate shower room; with best way to keep exterior portions of the head sanitary and smellen like a rose!

In attempt to be first in lowering my gun I bring admission that the sentence in post # 907 for which I posted the word “exacuation” would have better served by in its place using the word “drained”.

Spotlight on you RT. A vid short is in order that at least addresses your equal admission to my written admission of semi-guilt.

Thump, Thump, Thump, with arms folded and chin burrower to my chest... It’s my foot your hear thumping the floor while waiting for your vid!

Matt – I apologize for this ongoing segue off your important AXE thread, but, one (in this case, that’s me!) must be careful to not let RTF get too far ahead... or else his ribald vid shorts have been known to remove any possibility of escape!!

Now, back to your regular, wonderful AXE Program!!!

Cheers! – Art! :popcorn:

LOL that's ok ART. You're my friend. You can waffle on as much as you like. I'd much rather you waffling on than Mr. RT taking a dump in my shower! Hahahaha

Hendo - there's another project for you after the Axe is finished.

Haha I've only got one timber boat in me mate. Now if were an aluminium kit boat then that's a different story lol .....

LOL that's ok ART. You're my friend. You can waffle on as much as you like. I'd much rather you waffling on than Mr. RT taking a dump in my shower! Hahahaha

Thanks Mate, on my part!

But, as RT would say on his part.... EWWWWW!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :eek:

Right, so, today I went to the Eye guy and he said I will be sweet to return back to work from Thursday. Once I finished getting things poked and blinding lights shone in my face, I went to AXE and carried on as usual.

Today I painted the timber frames and chucked up the side panels and the first floor panel went down. Bit of mucking around to do with the scuppers now because I buggered em up and now the inside panel is offset to the outside panel And now the scupper cut outs don't line up AAAArghhh! FFS !!! ... Anywho, will be fixable so all is not lost.

Have to be strategic with what I am doing ATM cause we have a week of rains moving in from Sunday so need to close off areas that the tarps don't cover before she fills up with rain lol.

Ya like my shelter solution under AXE? lol ... Desperate times my friends ... Desperate times! ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399017232.751693.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399017256.756231.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399017302.215469.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399017319.963657.jpg

Ok well that's all. Here's a couple of pics from today's effort.

Cheers gang!

Matt - May I suggest. Sump pump in boat at lowest portion for rain that my enter... also, I think a hole drilled in bottom at low point should work well! You can always solidly refill or use it for through hull need at later date. Good luck keeping AXE dry! - Art

Rains are set in so I've started looking at the internal bolt on aspects. I started on the helm station and made the gauge panel. Back to work tomorrow so back to working on AXE on the weekendsImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399472430.755081.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399472354.663496.jpg

Hi Matt, good progress. Now you are starting some weather enforced fit out,remember you need maintenance access to everything you install. I once had a car where I`m they built it around the heater core, the core leaked, uh oh....

The good news, if it rains enough you'll be able to tell if it floats! Or where any leaks are....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom