marine fuel markup, my rant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet, XSbank meant $1.519 per Canadian Liter ... eh?

It used to be a much bigger difference in fuel prices between USA and Canada. Nowadays it hardly pays to go across the river to get the "cheap" fuel.

Last edited:
I bet, XSbank meant $1.519 per Canadian Liter ... eh?

It used to be a much bigger difference in fuel prices between USA and Canada. Nowadays it hardly pays to go across the river to get the "cheap" fuel.

Assuming so....

Diesel in Sydney was well over $2 a litre at marinas, $2.30 some places, then Baileys set up in Darling Harbour. Last price I paid, around $1.66, compares with road fuel stations around $1.61. Essentially self service, open 24/7,pay by CC or EFT, you need a Bailey`s member card to use it, you jump through some hoops, watch 4 short videos and answer questions, and agree to spill cleanup costs you cause. It lowered other suppliers prices, but not as much. Lots of commercial users = good throughput.

Yes, $1.519/ litre. It must have been the second litre of beer...which is currently $3.98/ litre at the Government rip store.

Yes, $1.519/ litre. It must have been the second litre of beer...which is currently $3.98/ litre at the Government rip store.

So why is it everyone complains about he cost of fuel but not about the cost of beer?

Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money. I guess is practical depending on size of tank. But for those purchasing 1000 gallons or more, is it really a practical solution to carry that amount of cash around? I know in business we had cargo planes that occasionally flew to Europe and we did withdraw adequate cash and give it to the pilots for those trips since that was the required method of payment, but sending pilots with $100,000 of cash was a bit unsettling. And as a pleasure boater on a long cruise, I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

What are other's thoughts on cash as an option?

I do like the idea of a fuel truck. Granted the 100 gal to fill my tank wouldn't be worth anyone's time but if a group from the same marina got together you could likely get a lower price.

I am complaining at the cost of beer, but buying a 6 pack has less consequences than 1000 litres of boat diesel.

Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money. I guess is practical depending on size of tank. But for those purchasing 1000 gallons or more, is it really a practical solution to carry that amount of cash around? I know in business we had cargo planes that occasionally flew to Europe and we did withdraw adequate cash and give it to the pilots for those trips since that was the required method of payment, but sending pilots with $100,000 of cash was a bit unsettling. And as a pleasure boater on a long cruise, I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

Just as a few examples, Florida Petroleum (now part of Port Consolidated) in Fernandina and Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick Ga, both commercial-oriented docks, took my personal checks as "cash" for several thousand dollars worth of fuel. I recall Port Petroleum in Ft Pierce (now also PC) did the same, but that was a long time ago.. Morehead City Yacht Basin, our home marina, same thing. Many of the truck deliveries will also accept checks as cash. So call ahead and find out. You'll find it is more common than not.

I said to the guy at FP the first time I went there, gee that is very trusting of you. Hadn't even asked for my driver's license. He said, oh not really, a boat like yours is real easy to find.

Last edited:
Just as a few examples, Florida Petroleum (now part of Port Consolidated) in Fernandina and Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick Ga, both commercial-oriented docks, took my personal checks as "cash" for several thousand dollars worth of fuel. I recall Port Petroleum in Ft Pierce (now also PC) did the same, but that was a long time ago.. Morehead City Yacht Basin, our home marina, same thing. Many of the truck deliveries will also accept checks as cash. So call ahead and find out. You'll find it is more common than not.

I said to the guy at FP the first time I went there, gee that is very trusting of you. Hadn't even asked for my driver's license. He said, oh not really, a boat like yours is real easy to find.

Yes, we do the same with Peterson. But at a random marina while out cruising I'd think it's a different situation. We're actually able to pay by check at the marina we use in Nassau. It's tied to a resort and we established credit with that resort for check acceptance. The discounts add up.

Here in the upper Chesapeake Bay I am finding prices +/- 4.05/gal

Used to be Tidewater near the Inner Harbor had the best prices up there,... and they honored the BoatUS discount... and they might have given a discount for cash (check), too. Can't remember, about that last part.

Haven't tried to fuel up in that area for several years, so dunno if they're still there... although I see 'em in listed ActiveCaptain...

-Chris

Yes, we do the same with Peterson. But at a random marina while out cruising I'd think it's a different situation. We're actually able to pay by check at the marina we use in Nassau. It's tied to a resort and we established credit with that resort for check acceptance. The discounts add up.

Absolutely no relationship with any of the mentioned at all or others except MCYB. Purely passing through transient purchases, no marina or other services involved (straight fuel docks or truck delivery).

Like I said, call ahead.

BTW, if you are using Peterson, in So.FL try one of the truck deliverers like Land and Sea, I found their prices to almost always be better if they could get access, and those trucks have LONG hoses.

Last edited:
Absolutely no relationship with any of the mentioned at all or others except MCYB. Purely passing through transient purchases, no marina or other services involved (straight fuel docks or truck delivery).

Like I said, call ahead.

BTW, if you are using Peterson, in So.FL try one of the truck deliverers like Land and Sea, I found their prices to almost always be better if they could get access, and those trucks have LONG hoses.

Anchor is also popular. We've been able to get prices equal to the lowest from Peterson. Luk Fuel also has many deals and promotions from 5% for Active Captain to 10 cents per gallon coupon on their website. I've never spoken to Land and Sea.

If you are on the ICW in GA, best price I found 2 weeks ago was Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, Ga. All taxes included, cash or check price was $3.57 per gallon based on 400 gallons. They're a couple miles or so off the ICW. Will definitely be topping up there on my way south this fall.

Ted

Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money....I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

Pretty sure we can do an EFT(electronic financial transfer) payment direct from a bank a/c. Not a CC, no CC fee.
Our system at essentially unmanned fuel places: you input a limit on the draw from your a/c or CC, take fuel, then get debited the actual amount.

Pretty sure we can do an EFT(electronic financial transfer) payment direct from a bank a/c. Not a CC, no CC fee.
Our system at essentially unmanned fuel places: you input a limit on the draw from your a/c or CC, take fuel, then get debited the actual amount.

In the US that's referred to as a Debit Card. And the merchant still gets charged a fee, just a lower fee than they do on a Credit Card. Some places will get partial discounts for using one.

We have very little unmanned fuel at docks. In fact, in many areas that isn't legal due to environmental and safety concerns. The other thing that you see here is so many different discounts. For instance, a marina may have Boat US discounts, cash discounts, Active Captain discounts, quantity discounts.

I'd be happy with fuel available nearby at any price. Our marina fuel sales shut down a few years back because it wasn't profitable, and there are only two others on the coast. One several hours travel north,and another about 8 hours south.

I'd be happy with fuel available nearby at any price. Our marina fuel sales shut down a few years back because it wasn't profitable, and there are only two others on the coast. One several hours travel north,and another about 8 hours south.

That sure cuts down on boating. Are there many boaters in your area? What does everyone do?

>Not bad. Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to build a still and start making my own Whiskey.<

Do you have parking for a 35 ft bus conversion??

Not available by truck delivery?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom