Fuel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant Kettler

:)I purchased a 1978 CT 35ft Trawler. I live in Virginia. The Main Engine is a 130hp Isuzu Diesel ser 6BB1 150134. It has NAPA Gold oil filters #1158 & NAPA Gold #3260 on the fuel filter. I am trying to find the Isuzu filters for this Engine. or are these OK. I need part numbers, and a place to purchase. I have contacted Blue Ridge Diesel, and they are checking also. I live near Yorktown, Va. If you can help I would appreciate it....Thanks Grant

Used NAPA Golds on the engines of our last boat for many years. Good filters IMHO.

David, thanks a lot for the information, it makes me feel a lot better. I can get those filters at a local NAPA store. Visited Maine a couple yrs ago on an RV trip. Still thinking about all of the Lobster we ate. " Great State" I also watch Down East Dickering....Thanks again Grant

I think NAPA filters are made by Wix. A reputable company. No fear in using them on your Isuzu. On Cummins, Cat I use OEM, for less common engines Wix does the trick.

I'll just pile on endorsing the NAPAs. That's all I ever used on our generator, oil and secondary fuel, over the course of 5000 hours. Generator just surveyed well @6000+ total hours. The only reason I didn't use them on the Detroits is I could get Detroit branded filters for the same or less. Probably no difference in quality, but it looks cool. Used nothing but Napa oil for a long time, including the DDs, until the local DD dealer matched price (DD oil is rebranded Mobil Delvac, NAPA is rebranded Valvoline).

Thanks to all of you for your response on NAPA Filter use on my Isuzu 130hp diesel. I will use NAPA as they are very local & polite.....Thanks again & safe boating Grant

I also have used NaPa Gold filters for years. Stay away from Fram filters, you can get more information by doing a goggle search on filters. Some very interesting information on what's inside the filter and the filter materials used.
Bill

I bought Napa replacements for my Perkins filters based upon the Napa cross-reference table. As it turns out, the Perkins filters were 2 microns and the Napa filters were 10 micron. Doh!!!

Make sure you're getting the filtration that the engine manufacturer calls for.

The wix website has a nice filter cross reference feature, and when you pull up details on a particular filter it gives you lots of stuff like micron, thread size, pressure rating etc. Wix and napa and carquest numbers are similar, only 1st digit (??) is different. handy site.

By looking at the cross reference books really carefully it is sometimes possible to upgrade the oil filters .

Engine folks want to show the smallest footprint package to folks , to fit in more boats.

On Volvos the tiny stock filter is 2 inches deep , and of course very expensive.

A generic PH 6 (if memory serves) has all the same numbers , is about 6 inches deep and cost 1/6 of a Volvo.

Cruising , having a print copy of the parts cross lists would be worth the effort.

I think NAPA filters are made by Wix. A reputable company. No fear in using them on your Isuzu. On Cummins, Cat I use OEM, for less common engines Wix does the trick.
I use WIX filters. I went into the Parks auto parts store (the big one in town) and handed the man my list. His comment - Got a Volvo marine engine huh?". He also thanked me for having a printed list.

Greetings,
Yup, NAPA and I agree stay away from Fram.

Agree totally as to my Lehman. However, I use Wix filters for my Westerbeke genset. No reason to use the Wix I just do, buy them by the dozen every few years.

Yesterday I got a call about a bad diesel leak on one of our Caterpillar generators at work, here in Iraq. I had a look and found the fuel filter had a 3" split in the housing, and had leaked about 300 litres (70 gallons) of diesel before being noticed. The engine had just been serviced the day prior. We removed the "Baldwin" filter and had a closer look. The housing was paper thin sheet metal. It turned out to be a cheap copy of a Baldwin filter.

I couldn't tell the difference from the real thing by looking at the outside, but it was a little bit lighter in weight.

Haven't seen this problem in western countries, but you never know. Best to buy from a reputable dealer just to be sure.

Last edited:
My CATs love NAPA filters (fuel and oil). I also use Valvoline 15-40 oil for both engines and genny.

I also use Napa filtres in Cats and they never claimed

Here's a weird question due to a weird circumstance. My ice maker malfunctioned and leaked a significant amount of water on the cabin floor behind the unit. The water leaked down into the below deck storage area and directly into a plastic tub in which I store spare filters. I have several CAT fuel and oil filters that got wet. They have thoroughly dried out, however some corrosion formed on the metal surfaces that mate to the engine fittings. I cleaned up all the corrosion (perhaps it was actually sediment from drying water). What do our members think I should do? Use or toss?

Thanks, Howard

If any significant amount of water got into the filter element itself, I'd toss them.

Here's a weird question due to a weird circumstance. My ice maker malfunctioned and leaked a significant amount of water on the cabin floor behind the unit. The water leaked down into the below deck storage area and directly into a plastic tub in which I store spare filters. I have several CAT fuel and oil filters that got wet. They have thoroughly dried out, however some corrosion formed on the metal surfaces that mate to the engine fittings. I cleaned up all the corrosion (perhaps it was actually sediment from drying water). What do our members think I should do? Use or toss?

Thanks, Howard

with most filters the moisture would change the properties of the filter material

FF, I agree the Volvo oil filter is small and costly like all Volvo parts. I changed our Volvo TMD31A to a remote filter because it was near impossible to change the filter without spilling oil in the bilge.
The new setup let me use a much larger filter plus the vertical position makes changes spill free and allows prefilling the filter with oil.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 115
FF, I agree the Volvo oil filter is small and costly like all Volvo parts. I changed our Volvo TMD31A to a remote filter because it was near impossible to change the filter without spilling oil in the bilge.
The new setup let me use a much larger filter plus the vertical position makes changes spill free and allows prefilling the filter with oil.

Consider replacing those hoses with hydraulic hose/fittings. I did the same mod on my old snapper boat years ago- when oil got hot a hose blew off a hose barb fitting. Cost me a set of main bearing shells.

At least periodically snug the hose clamps.

Also- hard to tell from photos, but are you sure you have the hoses hooked up right? The center hose from filter should be to the center fitting on engine adapter. ??

Last edited:
Consider replacing those hoses with hydraulic hose/fittings. I did the same mod on my old snapper boat years ago- when oil got hot a hose blew off a hose barb fitting. Cost me a set of main bearing shells.

At least periodically snug the hose clamps.

good advice :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback. Both hose connection housings are embossed with "IN" "OUT" markings.

"in" on engine adapter should go to "out" on filter head. Filter flow is from outer to inner, and exits filter from center hole. Not saying you got it wrong, but worth a double check. Seen it done wrong. Found when running, filter stayed cold!!

"in" on engine adapter should go to "out" on filter head. Filter flow is from outer to inner, and exits filter from center hole. Not saying you got it wrong, but worth a double check. Seen it done wrong. Found when running, filter stayed cold!!

:thumb::thumb::thumb: so many really don't look and absorb what they see.....you have to think through the whole system.....

How does that work, with the filter not mounted on and vibrating with the engine? Mind you, I`m thinking of this as an FL user, Volvo could be different. Otherwise, great idea.

Back
Top Bottom