• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Interesting: 1976 Gulf Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Interesting to say the least. l976 GuIf Star 6000 highest quality custm trawler
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398797970.302808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings,
Mr. O. Interesting indeed. NO photos or mention of power train/ER. Hmmmmm....I wouldn't even bother looking.

The "highest quality custom trawler"? No offence to any Gulf Star owners but it's still a 38 year old Gulf Star.

Last edited:
Ugggh. Perkins turbos with manicoolers. No thanks.

Don't know the owner or anything about it's history but I've seen this boat up close & personal. It is in jaw dropping magnificent condition with every conceivable option. Who ever owns it lavished lots of love and obscene amounts of cash on it. The age is somewhat intimidating but seeing the "over the top" attention to the minutest detail, I would be very surprised if the hull & superstructure did not rival or surpass the soundness of a brand new vessel.

Oliver, great find but what on earth are you doing looking at other ladies? MV Oliver just might blow a piston to remind you to look the other way when something pretty passes by : )

Interesting

Don't know the owner or anything about it's history but I've seen this boat up close & personal. It is in jaw dropping magnificent condition with every conceivable option. Who ever owns it lavished lots of love and obscene amounts of cash on it. The age is somewhat intimidating but seeing the "over the top" attention to the minutest detail, I would be very surprised if the hull & superstructure did not rival or surpass the soundness of a brand new vessel.

Oliver, great find but what on earth are you doing looking at other ladies? MV Oliver just might blow a piston to remind you to look the other way when something pretty passes by : )

:lol: I was actually looking for electronics when I came across it and it said quality custom trawler so that got me curious.

Greetings,
Mr. CB11. Thanks for the link. As I suspected, lipstick on a pig and the simple fact the ER appears to be a shambles negates Mr. CK's comment of "...the "over the top" attention to the minutest detail,..." IMO. Wouldn't go near it.

I think the GS is an extended stern vessel and tis one looks extended again. As in the longest of the longest. I'll look at the link to see where the rudders are.

No bottom pics. I hate that. I suspect all the pics were taken by a broker w a wide wide angle lens camera to take pics of the inside of small cabins. The severe distortion is too big of a price to "get everything in".

Could be a wonderful boat but I'd want to see the keel and rudders before I'd uncover any other stones or consider the engines. There's a lot of top hamper sitting high above a rounded bottom hull. I think I'd pass.

Last edited:
manyboats;230765 There's a lot of top hamper sitting high above a rounded bottom hull. I think I'd pass.[/QUOTE said:
It's got stabilizers so it should have a nice ride.

Yeah, I've seen this boat before so I can't yell "PhotoShop", but a big part of my income these days comes from photo-demos of high-dollar modifications like this. I'm sure this is a really beautiful boat, but the problem is that it looks PhotoShopped.

Until she turns turtle and drowns them all.....Tons of money spent on modifications but no idea what all that has done to stability.

Turns turtle, that's a stretch. Modifications like the ones seen in this boat are done all the time and boats are not flipping over right and left. But all you'd have to do is request to see the stability test results done after the modifications. If there is not one require one be done prior to purchase.

Yeah, I've seen this boat before so I can't yell "PhotoShop", but a big part of my income these days comes from photo-demos of high-dollar modifications like this. I'm sure this is a really beautiful boat, but the problem is that it looks PhotoShopped.

I must be missing something.Because none of the photos look PhotoShopped to me. Which photos are you talking about?

RTF, have a snickers bar, your not you when your hungry. :)

Your right about the engine room, didn't catch that. There is clearly a fortune worth of new equipment in there, not sure I'd call it a pig but it's certainly difficult to reconcile the apparent lack of love here with the rest of the boat. In the least you would think during the engine & genny replacement they would have taken the opportunity to spiff it up by covering the walls and ceiling with some modern sound barrier / insulation.

As with the others, I too wondered about the stability with all the modifications above & below and I think Capt Bills idea of a stability test would be a must. The freeboard also seems much lower than I recall for the Gulfstar's but maybe it's just an optical illusion.

Still, I would find it hard to believe this was a DIY project gone wild, based on the complex engineering required and the obvious workmanship, much of this work had to have been done by professionals. One thing is certain though, they will never come close to recovering the horrific amount of money that has been poured into it.

Stability aside, the boat in the photo is typical in its modifications to a few boats in our Alaskan harbor.

Up here adding a hard enclosure to the flying bridge seems to be a pretty popular, abet really ugly modification.

The fish boats do it quite a bit, as well as the recreational boats. They're just trying to get a warm dry place to drive the boat from.

Greetings,
Mr. CK. It's hard to make light of the lack of attention to, what I consider, a very important area of a vessel. That being said, MY ER definitely needs a good detailing but it's still WAY better than what I see in the sales photos. In the first ER pic' it appears the water intake hoses are single clamped and in the last, an exit thru hull is single clamped as well. That's just what I can SEE. And what the heck is that net thing to the right in the last ER shot? Football netting?
I have no idea how much one would have to spend to clean up the area but there was a thread about a boat for sale recently (and I can't find it of course-had blue engine stringers) that was drop dead gorgeous. THAT one I would think seriously about if I was in the market.

I think you are making a lot of negative assumptions based on just a few pictures. You would really need to see this space in person to get a true idea of it's condition.

To me it just looks like there are a lot of systems in a small space. I see several hoses with 2 clamps. And 1 or 2 without. Big deal, buy a few clamps. It's a used boat after all.

One of the hoses in that picture is not a water line by the way but the hydraulic fluid return line to the pump for the stabilizers. And is not under much, if any, pressure.

The "football net" is I believe one of the protective screens in front of the engines belts and pulleys.

Could the space look better? Sure. Deal breaker from what I see in the pictures? Hardly.

And in fact if you take the time to watch the video, or just scroll towards the end of it, the engine room looks much cleaner and squared away than it does in the pictures.

Last edited:
A lot of boat for the money

Anybody want to guess what replacement cost would be for this boat new? Assuming there is only 25% of useful life left it's still not a bad deal. After 6 years of relatively trouble free boating with a new boat the replacement game begins and it's ongoing maintenance from then on. I'll bet the paint job alone pushes a 100k on this boat. Unfortunately there is a lot of teak trim on these older Gulfstars to maintain. But look at the livability. The master stateroom is isolated from guests. Real appliances and airconditioning, at least 40k in stabilizer parts alone if you had to buy them. What would a new 60' Nordhavn or Kadey Krogan or Hatteras cost? 1.5 to 2M.

Below is a marketing brochure from Gulfstar. Interesting the length vs what the guy selling it is saying (assuming I have the correct boat).

Gulfstar created many Trawler models but the largest production model was the 53'. Less than 10 models were reportedly built between 1975 and 1976. The construction had a trawler body built onto the deep round- bildge and full-displacement hull that was used for the Gulfstar 53' Motorsailer (Sailboat). The GS 53 Trawler is reported to be very sea-friendly with an easy motion due to the low center of gravity - stabilized in part by the lower location of the fuel tanks.
The GS 53 Trawler was fitted with twin 160hp Perkins diesels rated at 6 g.p.h . when running in the 8-9 knot range.

Belowdecks is a 3-stateroom layout. It came with a choice of twin-berths or a walkaround double in the aft cabin. It has a very spacious dinette and galley area and features a teak interior.
General Specs:
Length: 53' 2"
Length WL 47' 3"
Beam 15'
Draft 4' 6"
Weight 42000 lbs.
Clearance 14'
Fuel 1000 gals.
Water 300 gals.
Headroom 6' 5"

Attachments

• GS53TRW[1].jpg
    GS53TRW[1].jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 618
The Cockpit is added

Below is a marketing brochure from Gulfstar. Interesting the length vs what the guy selling it is saying (assuming I have the correct boat).

Gulfstar created many Trawler models but the largest production model was the 53'. Less than 10 models were reportedly built between 1975 and 1976. The construction had a trawler body built onto the deep round- bildge and full-displacement hull that was used for the Gulfstar 53' Motorsailer (Sailboat). The GS 53 Trawler is reported to be very sea-friendly with an easy motion due to the low center of gravity - stabilized in part by the lower location of the fuel tanks.
The GS 53 Trawler was fitted with twin 160hp Perkins diesels rated at 6 g.p.h . when running in the 8-9 knot range.

Belowdecks is a 3-stateroom layout. It came with a choice of twin-berths or a walkaround double in the aft cabin. It has a very spacious dinette and galley area and features a teak interior.
General Specs:
Length: 53' 2"
Length WL 47' 3"
Beam 15'
Draft 4' 6"
Weight 42000 lbs.
Clearance 14'
Fuel 1000 gals.
Water 300 gals.
Headroom 6' 5"

The cockpit is added, the boat without the cockpit has no place for water entry except through the pilot house doors. Almost like a submarine. My neighbor has a Gulfstar similar, I'm not sure it's a 53 or slightly shorter. Nice boat to hang out on. This one never leaves the dock. I've been trying to get him to run down to coast with me.

The cockpit is added, the boat without the cockpit has no place for water entry except through the pilot house doors. Almost like a submarine. My neighbor has a Gulfstar similar, I'm not sure it's a 53 or slightly shorter. Nice boat to hang out on. This one never leaves the dock. I've been trying to get him to run down to coast with me.

Thanks. I missed the cockpit extension. It'll be interesting to see what it eventually sells for. It's already been reduced 100K according to one of the adds.

Turns turtle, that's a stretch. Modifications like the ones seen in this boat are done all the time and boats are not flipping over right and left. But all you'd have to do is request to see the stability test results done after the modifications. If there is not one require one be done prior to purchase.

Capt....With Respect......

No one expects ferry's to turn over suddenly on a calm day either. But it happens and hundreds of kids drown. The part that frustrates me is that this is foreseeable and preventable, yet we keep getting it wrong.

The typical US powerboat of 50-60' length is 17'-18' wide and of hard-chined form. If you have a 50-60 footer with 17' beam and hard chines, I have no problem with adding a permanent hard top on the flying bridge. Just make it as light as possible (foam cored with light plastic windows). I will seriously question also adding a big hard-bottom inflatable, and another dinghy, and a crane, and a sun-deck top, and a mast and antennas as well!

But this Gulfstar is only 15' wide, a round-bottomed sailboat form, and originally relied on fuel for stability! Hopefully anyone can see that once its burnt the fuel no longer adds to stability.

The hard-chined form is very stable at low heel angles, which is why people like it. You step aboard and the boat heels a bit but corrects quickly back upright and stops. Very reassuring but can be tiring at sea.. The round bottomed form is not as stable at low angles, you step aboard and she may continue to roll down underfoot, then roll back beyond upright, then back, and slowly damp out the rolling. Not so reassuring......but more comfortable at sea.

The typical hard chined boat may run out of stability at 60-70 degrees heel. This is rarely a problem because the hard chine form snaps her back upright at low heel angles. But the round bottomed form does not, she just keeps on heeling. And with the high center of gravity the modified Gulfstar may run out of stability at 50 or so degrees heel. That is a scary thought.

Greetings,
Mr. CB11. Thanks for the link. As I suspected, lipstick on a pig and the simple fact the ER appears to be a shambles negates Mr. CK's comment of "...the "over the top" attention to the minutest detail,..." IMO. Wouldn't go near it.

RT
Pretty critical, I think the ER is in decent shape. Obviously you don't have Detroits in your boat like I do. I try and keep it spiffy but after any cruise my ER looks like a crime scene but that's alright everything has a nice sheen of oil keeping everything protected.:thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. k. Yup, for $1/4 million I think I can be critical. Given that the rest of the boat appears to be top notch and VERY appealing it suggests to me that the owner's priorities may lie more in "eye candy" than mechanical fitness. I would think $4K to $5K spent on detailing the ER would easily match the wow factor of the rest of the vessel and I don't think the extra $$ would have been a very large percentage of the overall refit costs but that's just me. Nope, not Detroits, Lehmans.
When I put on one of my Armani's, I always change my underwear. Work overalls, not so much.

Capt....With Respect......

That is a scary thought.

And that is why I said get a stability test. You can do one with full tanks and one with empty.

I would be surprised if the naval architect who drew up that Gulfstar counted on removable weight like fuel to make up the majority of the boats ballast for stability.

Personally I'd be concerned how it is at anchor. Not because it could go over but because I bet it could be very rolly in anything but a very calm spot.

Sometimes boat owners have good money and bad ideas.

This guy had lot's of both.

Tad-interesting point on the use of the fuel load for ballast. On our Krogen 58', with 18'+ beam, and very soft chined, there is 7,000 lbs of ballast in the keel. I would be worried not only about the stability when close to empty, but also the changing stability as the fuel load decreases. If on an extended run in rough water, having the stability characteristics change as fuel is burned is not a comforting thought!

I believe we carry 3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom