First trip - Test drive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Ladies & Gentlemen
Soon Rainha Jannota will be in the water and we have to take her home, in the Northeast, from where she will be launched in the Southeast of Brazil. It will be a total 880 miles trip coasting some important places like Rio de Janeiro. After the launching the boat will be trimmed, tuned, and tested for 3 weeks before the trip initiates, if the weather allows, obviously.
In order to test the boat extensively and come to definitive conclusions about it as soon as possible, would you try to make the 880 miles in long legs or small legs. What would be the best strategy to test drive this boat, knowing that all major changes, if any, will be done in the final destiny.
At this point we are planning a 3 leg trip.
Leg 1: From Saco da Ribeira, 23° 30’ S, 45° 07.07’ W to Rio de Janeiro 22° 55.2’ S 43°10.3’W
Leg 2: From Rio de Janeiro 22° 55.2’ S 43°10.3’W to Vitoria 20° 17.938’S 40° 17.209’ W
Leg 3: From Vitoria 20° 17.938’S 40° 17.209’ W to Salvador 12° 50.662’ S 38° 33.248’W
Based on your experience, what would you prefer doing. I only have 3 weeks to make this trip
Thank you

Last edited:
Fernando, I know nothing to advise you on how to do the coast of Brazil. However, this is an exciting and auspicious occasion. Well done, my friend. I will drink a toast when she splashes.

Some engine mfg consider their products to be perfect as delivered , but I prefer the older concept of a brake in period.

The key is to operate at modest loads and use short periods of larger throttle for a short time to allow the parts to seat , which causes heat. You dissipate the heat and do it again for a bit longer.

One thing to avoid is constant throttle and load for hours on end.

I like to pull the first oil change at 10 hours , as well as cut open the filter and see what it has collected.

I also cut in half the oil change interval during the brake in period.

Some Mfg will have recommendations for the first hours of operation in their book.

NOT OVERHEATING internal parts is the goal.

2. After the boat is launched while the testing is going on , I would bring the deck wash hose below and climb into as many areas as are accessible and hose everywhere , very heavily.

Sure you probably vacuumed the bilge , but there is still stuff , wood chips wire cut offs and other crap hidden from view.

Better to wash it all down NOW so you can remove it than have it come loose with the first rough water and test the bilge pump strainers.

Good travels!!

Last edited:
Thank you guys

I am sure I did not put my wuestion clear. The obejctive of the question was main ly to ask if short runs or single long ones where better to put things in place.

I think I was answered what I wanted to know.

Thank you guys

Fernando

This must be a pretty exciting, if not a bit stressful time for you. It's been a long road to this point. FF sure is right about the unpredictable "where did that come from" stuff in the bilge. Seems no matter how well you look, there's always something that was under something that gets caught in the switch or lodged in the pump intake. Best of luck with your beautiful creation.

Fernando-can't offer any advice on the trip, but big congrats on getting to this point. It has to feel great finally launch such a beautiful boat and to even have those choices to make, finally!

Good Luck!

Fernando, I'm back from St Martin. When do you intend to go? Maybe I'll go together.

I would plan many short runs. Nothing prevents you from doing more than one without stopping. Much easier to stop at a planned point than trying to figure out where the nearest safe harbor is when bad weather or other problems arise.

Ted

Fantastic, congrats! Wow to break in something new would be almost unimaginable for me. Each of our boats has been bigger and older. Do what works for you. I don't think the long run will give you any additional insight. Things either don't work at start up or after complete warm up. So anything after an hour doesn't really matter. Stay close to help if things go wrong during the shakedown.

Back
Top Bottom