View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Just come up on this exchange. Yes, I can help with the marinas further south in the bay John. There are several down at Southport - including Marina Mirage, Southport Yacht Club etc. Best to google them for phone numbers, but they have visitor berths for sure. Then a bit further north of there is Runaway Bay Marina - definitely visitor berths there and good road access again. Up a bit further you have the Coomera River and up there a nm Sanctuary Cove - and further upriver again, the marina where Benn had all his recent work done, at Gold Coast City Marina. Road access, fuel, & visitor berths both places, but less easy and more expensive to get taxis from those ones.

I would recommend by-passing my Marina and that at Calypso Bay, because although we have fuel, they are remote by road.

Further North the best one for facilities and city access is at Manly, tucked inside Green Island, which is a reasonable overnight anchorage as well - watch the depth though. Here you have the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron & the Moreton Bay Boating Club, full facilities including pump-out, and fuel etc and good access to the more southern parts of the city.

The heading out from behind Green Island, you can cut past St Helena, and curve round to the main shipping channel thence up to Rivergate Marina. Again, has full facilities and good access to the city, but hey, don'tt stop there - the river is really worth a trip up to take in the city in its own right. There is a good anchorage near the Garden Point and a dinghy jetty for those wishing to step off right into virtually the city heart. A cruise up to at least the University of Qld is really interesting - the ladies love it in particular. Paul of Aquabelle would confirm that, I know…

Then, from the river mouth, you are heading in the right direction to head of rthe sandhills and where Benn covered things well. Although a night at the sandhills is better than behind the wrecks - it is affected by swell and often rather rocky in a movement sense. Good day anchorage though to take in the resort of Tangalooma.

Ok, tour over really. But we are proud of our Bay, and love to share it. I only hope I did not come in here too late for you.
Cheers and happy sailing, and good luck at the Tassie Festival.