Removing fuel from Aux tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I have 3 fuel tanks. 2 saddle tanks and the aux tank located below the swim platform. I want to remove the 30 or so gallons from this tank since I don't need the capacity and don't want to haul the 230 lbs or so around.

To remove the fuel I was thinking of using the existing fuel transfer pump which is normally used to transfer fuel between the left and right saddle tanks. I will connect a fuel line fed from the aux tank to the fuel pump and then on the output side of the fuel pump another fuel line from the pump to the fuel fill port of one of the saddle tanks, using this filter as a funnel; Large Fuel Filter Funnel - Fuel Filter Funnels | Shurhold.

Requesting some comments on the advisability of doing this.

How is fuel normally drawn from that tank? Can't you just valve it into the system as per normal ops?

How is fuel normally drawn from that tank? Can't you just valve it into the system as per normal ops?

No. The fuel transfer pump will only transfer fuel between the left and right saddle tanks. Fuel from the aux tank can only be burned by either the L or R engine, but not transferred.

The thinking behind this is the fuel for the generator is fed only from the left saddle tank. In order to balance fuel after a night or two of generator use, it would be necessary to transfer fuel from the right saddle tank to the left.

30 gallons isnt much , just burn it as normal, and do not refill the tank.

Time for a boat ride!!

Time for a boat ride!!

Yes, but the quality of the remaining fuel in the Aux tank is questionable.

That is why I'm thinking of using the above mentioned funnel and transferring the fuel to one of the saddle tanks. I wouldn't mind just getting rid of it, but that may be more effort than just filtering it and reusing it, providing the funnel/filter is as good as they say.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom