View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #29
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yes Capt.BillII,
The early XYZ (bottom pic) was fantastic once it set but I only occasionally got it to set and then only very very carefully laying it out. In the end I decided it was strictly a mud anchor. It needed more weight in it's tail to put pressure on the fluke tip to bring about a set. See the second pic (top) of the later model XYZ. Much longer fluke. Much more weight further back. When the rode was pulled the tip dug in a little and would pop out but the tail of the fluke would bear down and transfer the force to the tip and setting would occur. The later type XYZ does set dependably. I used a modified version of that on our trip down from AK (see top ctr pic w wide chisel tip) and even the very wide fluke tip set every time. The weight in the back of the fluke seemed more effective than cast right into the tip as the pull on the rode added to the force at the tip. Note the side edge of the chisel tip is well positioned to cut right into the bottom w the center edges of the sides of the fluke not getting in the way (as many anchors do). Once the anchor is set there is considerably more fluke surface area at the tip that should reduce the tendency to break out and give better short scope performance.

But yes I'm a firm believer in laying out the rode so the whole rode is ideally set up to penetrate the bottom.

Cap is the Super Max's secret no chain? There was another TF member in the Puget Sound area that did very well w a Super Max. They look to be unbeatable in mud. At least soft mud.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71524 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0259 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0264 copy.jpg  
Attached Images

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote