1983 CHB with 46 hours??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
This ought to generate some discussion and may well end up a great deal for some one.

Appears to be an estate sale.

I imagine some comments about a 31 year old motor, rubber parts etc.
Not enough regualr hours etc.

1983, CHB-34 Trawler

1983, CHB-34 Trawler - $30000 ((Kenmore, WA))

00f0f_dKlTxHPuGNt_600x450.jpg

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4441863185.html#http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4441863185.html#http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4441863185.html#

Unique Opportunity to own a great Boat with only 46 Hours on the clock!
1983, CHB-34 Trawler (Kenmore, WA)

Description:
Chung Hwa Boat Building Co. Ltd. (Taipei, Taiwan), 34 Foot Long Range Trawler Yacht
Hull ID # CHB343060683
Dimensions: Length 33'6", Beam 11'9", Draft 3'2", Displacement 16,500 lbs.
Range: 1000 miles, Cruises at 6-7 knots, burning just 3 gallons per hour
Construction: Deep V Fiberglass, All Teak decks
Engine: Ford Lehman 120 HP, Diesel (with 46.4 running hours only)
Tanks: Fuel 300 gal. & Water 150 gal.
Electrical: 12/110V system, with 3 x Batteries and heavy duty charger
Accommodations: Sleep x 6 (2 x V-Berth in forward cabin, 2 x in owners aft cabin and 2 x on convertible dinette), 2 x Heads each with shower, Galley (includes Magic Chef butane stove, AC/DC refrigerator and stainless steel sink), Teak interior, parquet floor in Salon and copper with cork vertical blinds.
Navigation: Unimetrics VHF, Range Depth Recorder with alarm, Short Wave Radio, Amateur Radio, Ritchie Compass.
Equipment: Anchor with power winch, Bridge Cover (Bimini), 2 x Bilge Pumps, Electric Blowers, Halon System, Ship's Clock & Barometer, Electric Heater. In 1990 a Wesmar Bow Thruster was installed.

History
Boat originally sold to first owner in Marina Del Rey, CA in 1983. Sold on to last owner in 1986 with 9 hours running and transported to Lake Washington. Has been kept at covered slip in Kenmore, but only used infrequently since then. For sale by Executor.

Condition
As can be seen from the pictures the boat is complete, but in need of some cleaning, restoration, mechanical work and TLC. In general it needs the application of some 'elbow grease'. Kept in fresh Lake Washington waters under a Covered Slip for most of it's life. CHB boats are of high quality and strong construction, so with some work this will be a terrific boat again and is a great deal for an effectively almost unused vessel.
Priced to sell $30,000 -- as seen

let me guess.....

Owned by a little old Lady and only driven to church on Sundays!

think about it... it still has the original fuel in it from 1983!

HOLLYWOOD

Why look at this boat when near by on seattle craig list, same issue, is one for $34400 or BO and it has alum tanks, re-fitted windows and the leaky teak deck issue has been addressed. That and you have a fitting of electronics. Just saying.
Al

if it was a car/truck I'd buy it....flying to Akron next week to buy a 88 Chevy 1 ton with 14,700 miles, original owner. I dig low mile originals :D

This boat is under coverd moorage in the pic and it's possible it's been there all it's life. One could take up the teak decks and FG over all the stupid holes. It would be some work but look what you'd have then.

Then you could sell the engine to someone for almost enough to but a new one the correct size for your style of running. A 54hp Isuzu for example would suit me. Use the BW gear and have it gone through.

I'm starting to wonder where this boat is.

if it was a car/truck I'd buy it....flying to Akron next week to buy a 88 Chevy 1 ton with 14,700 miles, original owner. I dig low mile originals :D

Holly mess, how did you find that? I'm a Ford guy but I would have gone for that.

Eric, If I was you, (or I was living over there), I'd seriously look at it. It is essentially as new, being kept under cover most of its life. It is possible that the engine is still fine for a long times yet with some modest attention, so you would be wise to leave it right where it is, and get over any qualms re being overpowered. Having a CHB 34 with the same engine, I can vouch for the fact it is NOT overpowered, and would do more like 1.8gal/hr at proper cruising speed. I get 7 litres per hour at about 7 kn. So, contrary to usual, they have over-stated the consumption. And its one of the newer, all fibreglass ones with no ply in the superstructure. The teak decks would be as new almost, so really probably very little of real expense to be done.

Boat house kept in fresh water. :thumb:

Clean out the fuel tanks, flush the water system and it should be ready for the refit as required. Heck, BarPilot could even ship it via truck and have the vessel of his dreams. Is it SD or FD? :confused:

Put in some batteries , If it starts you are all set.

If its frozen its probably just rust in the cylinders , a cheap fix for just a gasket set.

Perhaps the owner was informed enough to have pickled the engine properly and all you will require is a sea water pump impeller.

Electrolysis? Not so much being in fresh water.

Peter B thanks for the update on the CHB superstructure being fiberglass. That has been a subject of disparage here in Southeast Alaska where we have heavy rainfall issues. Could you discuss the window framing? Many of the CHBs here have huge leaking issues causing deterioration of the interior wood and sour smells.
Along with the the cabin construction it would be nice to know the builders recognized the window issue. Of course, if there are mult-manufactures perhaps the changes are not universal- comment? Still the teak decks would have to go?? leak chasing is a heart breaking frustration leading to boat selling!! All asked as a son in law has been looking at this class of trawler.
thanks,

Al

How bout the engine seals?

That's enough alone to keep me out of the picture. I like the boat though. If I bought it I'd be single again and I could, while I had the engine out for the seals take out three pistons, 6 pushrods and rocker arms, cap off 3 injectors ect ect and make a 55hp 3cyl. engine out of it. Perhaps I'd need to grind off 3 counterweights as there would be 3 less pistons to counter -- weight.

Would'nt lower fuel consumption but I'd have an engine working.

One could avoid using the back cylinder to avoid overheating. Wonder if the crankshaft configuration would allow me to incorporate the center 3 cylinders instead of 1-3-5?

Yup I've got too much time on my hands.

And Peter what about the hundreds of holes in the deck that is probably backed w plywood?

Last edited:
Even though there are probably numerous problems that would pop up- It's still cool to see a boat of that vintage that was almost never used. We have a 1983 Chung Hwa boat, and I see a few of the same materials/ lights/ etc on this as we have on ours.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

I'd love to hear from the guy (or gal) who buys this boat to learn what her real condition is. Initial, mid-term and long term reports would be fascinating to hear how an essentially unused 30 year old boat performs.

Could be a love story or could be a battle of the wills. Either way, it would be great to hear how she did.

Ditto here!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Electrolysis? Not so much being in fresh water.

Peter B thanks for the update on the CHB superstructure being fiberglass. That has been a subject of disparage here in Southeast Alaska where we have heavy rainfall issues. Could you discuss the window framing? Many of the CHBs here have huge leaking issues causing deterioration of the interior wood and sour smells.
Along with the the cabin construction it would be nice to know the builders recognized the window issue. Of course, if there are mult-manufactures perhaps the changes are not universal- comment? Still the teak decks would have to go?? leak chasing is a heart breaking frustration leading to boat selling!! All asked as a son in law has been looking at this class of trawler.
thanks,

Al

Al, it looks like it has the standard (year of production dictated) teak framed windows, but if, as I am pretty sure, the superstructure is all fibreglass, then the leaking can be avoided largely by just making sure the drainage channels are cleared regularly, and any window which leaks into the interior, risking staining the teak veneer, is promptly removed and re-sealed. The teak itself it remarkably resistant to rot if this is done. With respect to the teak deck - see my response to Eric (Manyboats).

Last edited:
How bout the engine seals?

That's enough alone to keep me out of the picture. I like the boat though. If I bought it I'd be single again and I could, while I had the engine out for the seals take out three pistons, 6 pushrods and rocker arms, cap off 3 injectors ect ect and make a 55hp 3cyl. engine out of it. Perhaps I'd need to grind off 3 counterweights as there would be 3 less pistons to counter -- weight.

One could avoid using the back cylinder to avoid overheating. Wonder if the crankshaft configuration would allow me to incorporate the center 3 cylinders instead of 1-3-5?

Yup I've got too much time on my hands.
(My, i.e. responders, emphasis)

And Peter what about the hundreds of holes in the deck that is probably backed w plywood?

Yes, Eric, you are getting grumpy because of the 'too much time' thing, but more importantly, not enough time out on your boat..!
It's called BWS, (boat withdrawal syndrome), and not dissimilar to drug withdrawal, as boating is a kind of 'high', is it not..?

And as for your obsession with under powering/over-powering and SD v's FD…please….just get over it, get out there...and enjoy..!

Regarding the teak decks and all those holes threatening the core. As this boat has largely been kept under cover those decks may well be in excellent (non-leaking) condition, with many trouble-free years ahead, but if this was in doubt, what better time to just cover them GRP, (non-skid), paint with Interdeck, and convert them to a nice rigid, low-maintenance, waterproof decking. It would not even be necessary to rip up the teak, as it would be in such good condition, as would the core. Too easy...

Last edited:
I'd love to hear from the guy (or gal) who buys this boat to learn what her real condition is. Initial, mid-term and long term reports would be fascinating to hear how an essentially unused 30 year old boat performs.

Just confirmed with the wife it won't be us. If she's driving to Washington with me this week it'll be to look at land and not boats.

Gotta agree with Peter that this is most likely that diamond in the rough many here claim to desire. As Tom (sunchaser) pointed out its a freshwater, covered berth boat, what's not to like about that?

Where the wife on board with the idea I'd drive up tomorrow and look at it.

Just confirmed with the wife it won't be us. If she's driving to Washington with me this week it'll be to look at land and not boats.

Gotta agree with Peter that this is most likely that diamond in the rough many here claim to desire. As Tom (sunchaser) pointed out its a freshwater, covered berth boat, what's not to like about that?

Where the wife on board with the idea I'd drive up tomorrow and look at it.

It's really much the same as others, dependent on survey. It could be the steal of the century or it could be a nightmare. Initial look should give an idea and survey verify.

"A Special Note on Magnesium Anodes for Fresh Water… Essentially, fresh water is a much less conductive environment than salt water, therefore magnesium anodes are your best choice as they are much more active (less noble) than zinc or aluminum anodes. The result is increased efficiency thus superior protection for your underwater metal components. Magnesium Anodes can be special ordered.
* It is not recommended to use magnesium anodes in salt or brackish water. The result may be an accelerated corrosion rate, which may leave you with no anode protection in a short period of time and damage the metal parts of your boat."

31 years? I think so, not like salt but still there.

Thanks Peter- :thumb:

Had opportunity to witness the removal and replacement of windows of an earlier CHB. It seems in this case, the boat manufacture constructed the house and then cut out the window openings. Inserted windows without sealing the cut out allowing the between wall spacing material to lay open to the window edge surface hence the water leaking down and into the interior. Outside application of sealant works for a short period but invariably fails. The composite in the wall was balsa wood which acts like a sponge. All removed and foam board replaced and window opening sealed with glass (as I recall) then new aluminum style windows used. Just an example of one solution. As to the decks, no matter, at some point the working of the hull loosens the screws holding the teak. Up here all sorts of sealants have been applied over the teak, some successful but each a gamble over full removal and glassing over. There is one fellow who applied bed liner coating which to this date he is satisfied. In relation to that application, our local hardware store is now touting a home deck paint that appears to be similar to the bed liner which includes a "Non Skid" surface application.
I'd still consider the CHB for sale in the same area at $34,400 vs $30,000 for the changes in new aluminum tanks, fiber glassed decks, and all the electronics included.
Thanks again Peter- enjoyed the conversation.
Al:)

Correction- the coatings were placed OVER the teak decking in each instance. AMJ

Peter posts like your #17 make me grumpy. Obsessed you say. And I should "get over it" like there's something wrong w me or as if I've got a disease. Being "obsessed" is too close to being mentally I'll to take that as a complement so I am to some degree offended.

But as long as others want to talk about the offending subject matter I'll oblige.

And in compliance to you I'll limit my posting on the offending subject matter to responses.

Wifey B: Now I'm so freaking confused as to what happens and if I should be obsessive over someone else obsessing over someone else obsessing over something I've forgotten what.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though. Dudes or dudettes ask questions. We all need to try to answer best we can addressing what the OP is really looking for as we all have such different interests. If we didn't there'd just be one model of boat out there. And no need to battle over what we like personally or don't like except as relevant to OP's question or others in thread. So we need to try not to campaign for our faves overly much but then also not to be upset when someone does just because that's how he thinks.

But all the varying views do help, just need to be in moderation and with tolerance for opposing views. When we started some of our boat searching for one boat on another forum we heard so many things, all legitimate, all based on personal prejudices and preferences. We took it all in, made our own decisions then including those opinions with our other knowledge. We'll talk about Nordhavn, Northern, American Tug, Nordic Tug, Kadey and any others like them knowledgeably and speaking kindly of them even though they would absolute not be our choice because we want more speed. But honestly we're in the minority in our love of speed over economy. But then on other forums we're in the minority on fiberglass vs steel and aluminum and others we're in the minority of power vs sail.

So don't work too hard to sell the world on your views but chill too when reading others and just all be happy on the water....wish the water was calmer here off the coast of Washington today...now that's an issue. Wind waves mild at 2' but swells at 11' but 13 seconds so not too bad. Just coming from FL not use to seeing such swells on otherwise calm see and little wind.

Abra cadabra calm seas for tomorrow.

But I'm on the water so maybe that's why you dudes are grumpy and I'm not....

Wifey B,
You are a wise lady. Fair winds.

Peter posts like your #17 make me grumpy. Obsessed you say. And I should "get over it" like there's something wrong w me or as if I've got a disease. Being "obsessed" is too close to being mentally I'll to take that as a complement so I am to some degree offended.
But as long as others want to talk about the offending subject matter I'll oblige.
And in compliance to you I'll limit my posting on the offending subject matter to responses.

Eric…really…sorry if my twisted sensayumah confused you, but where the heck is yours..?
I mean 'obsessing' was said with tongue in cheek, man. Ok, maybe I should have put inverted commas round it, and stuck in lots of emoticons like Art, but I guess I'm not an emoticon man.

But honestly…when given the chance to take on a boat with a near new engine, probably needing minimal attention to get years of running out of it - one perfectly matched to its hull - I can vouch for that because that's what I drive, same engine/same hull, right..? Cruises at ~2/3rd throttle (~1750rpm,) at ~1.8 gal/hr...forever, & without missing a beat, but has that bit of healthy reserve left for the nasty stuff, just in case, your response was …

"How bout the engine seals? That's enough alone to keep me out of the picture. I like the boat though…...while I had the engine out for the seals, take out three pistons, 6 pushrods and rocker arms, cap off 3 injectors ect ect and make a 55hp 3cyl. engine out of it. Perhaps I'd need to grind off 3 counterweights as there would be 3 less pistons to counter -- weight.
One could avoid using the back cylinder to avoid overheating. Wonder if the crankshaft configuration would allow me to incorporate the center 3 cylinders instead of 1-3-5?"

Now is that, or is that not...'obsessing'…just a wee bit..? :) :D :flowers:

If I were to use those three emoticons I would have used the third one first and the second one third.

Here I am talking about overloading/underloading but your post begs a response.

You would be fine w 60hp and I would be fine w 30hp. Overpowered? Not very much in my case but more in your case. You may think your CHBs power to hull relationship is perfectly matched ... but I don't. I have not needed more power than I have or have used ever. You could say the same too w the engine you have (I assume 120 Ford) or w a JD 80 like Mark has. Or probably a 60hp engine. That's 40hp or 1/3 less than you have. That's overpowered. Indeed but you're not in the grossly overpowered category.

Re the 3 cyl thing I admit I hopped completely out of the box but if it's just for conversation (and on a forum it would be or should be) it could be fun and often we learn more out of the box than in. And of course there's no downside to it because it's just talk and that's what wer'e expected to do on a forum. Unless we're talking to someone who is uncomfortable out of the box. Where would I find such a person? "What's the point in talking about THAT! I can't see someone doing mass surgery on their engine w lots of wrench time wasted cuse nobodies going to do something as crazy as that". Some people have been known to build houses out of pop cans. My 3 cyl idea may have more merit than that.

You say I'm obsessed w FD/SD and overpowering. Do you see the source of that Peter? TF members are constantly talk'in about how little fuel they burn w exaggeration emerging on a regular basis. Been going on for years ........ AND THEY AREN"T OBSESSING? We even have a permanent thread for fuel prices.

But I've said everything that needs to be said about power loading and the difference between SD and FD (several to many times) so unless someone want's to argue w me I'll sit on the log. But if something new comes up or I receive an attack that should be defended ...... ??

It's a forum RIGHT.

Last edited:
You say I'm obsessed w FD/SD and overpowering. Do you see the source of that Peter? TF members are constantly talk'in about how little fuel they burn w exaggeration emerging on a regular basis. Been going on for years ........ AND THEY AREN"T OBSESSING? We even have a permanent thread for fuel prices.

Everything about hobbies, work, passions and likes turns into an obsession if one has their faculties about them. Very few threads on TF go for more than a few posts before the obsessed start chiming in. That is not only normal but expected. My next door neighbor is a quilter, don't get her going!

Don't fret Eric about being that way, we all are or we wouldn't be boaters opining on TF.

Speaking of obsessed, whatever happened to the Li battery guys? :D

Normal Tom? Yes well I do take some things seriously. I guess I stressed or obsessed for quite some time about how much power to put in Willy when we repowered. Looks like I haven't stopped thinking about it eh?

Actually I don't know where the 3cyl idea came from. Probably the distant past or even possibly an original idea but probably not. I probably was just thinking out loud w/o being able to name a source. It would probably work but it may not be smooth and it probably .. No .. definitely wouldn't develop half the power w half the cylinders and most likely it would be even less efficient than a normal engine running underloaded. But I'll bet the ring failure, smoking and possible glazing ect ect would not come to pass on the hard working 3cyl engine. And the Lehman overheating problem would probably be solved.

Kiss one's resale value of the boat goodby though .. Unless one was up to putting all the missing parts back in.

And I realize it's just fun stuff for me to think about but silly ideas for most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom