Teak pilot house doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Doors are starting to come together.

Attachments

• Teak piolt house doors 02-02-14 001.jpg
    Teak piolt house doors 02-02-14 001.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Teak piolt house doors 02-02-14 002.jpg
    Teak piolt house doors 02-02-14 002.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 228
That's very inspiring! Mine are in desperate need of help but lack an owner with your level of woodworking skills.

Very nice!

When I took the old doors off that plywood covered with fiberglass the plywood core was rotted around they windows and at the bottom.I kept looking at the doors and I thought they were built slightly out of square. .They were actually a 2 degree parallelogram.It was so slight that I almost built the doors square and they would not have worked .Man that would have been a huge and costly mistake .
I wish I was faster at woodworking . I know guys that can just blow through this kind of woodworking and never think twice. I have a tendency to over think and then can't decide how I want to go about building something. Cabinet and furniture making is not like the woodworking on any boat .The biggest challenge for me has been making the end result look like it's made for a boat and not a house.It doesn't always work but it is getting better.
This entire project has just about wooped my wife and I and we still have a good ways to go. I could not do this without her help and support.
Now it's the anchor platform I have to work out .

Now, those look nice!

Once on the boat they will be most impressive!

Very nice work. If building boats was easy we'd all be doing it!

Caulking teak door panels with TDS SIS 440 .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 189
After pulling tape off .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 186
Quick question.
If I use a varnish remover,will it damage that caulk you used?
(Sorry for the hijack)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Quick question.
If I use a varnish remover,will it damage that caulk you used?
(Sorry for the hijack)

I bet it would .It cleans up pretty easy with just regular paint thinner . The guys at Teak Decking Systems are great . They will answer any questions you have .

I had a heck of a time with that caulking. Ya gotta tape each seam and really put it down good. Unlike yours, my caulking seemed to stain the teak right away, and I had to use another product to finish it out. Looks great, by the way.

I bet it would .It cleans up pretty easy with just regular paint thinner . The guys at Teak Decking Systems are great . They will answer any questions you have .

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I need strip the inserts in my swim platform.

I had a heck of a time with that caulking. Ya gotta tape each seam and really put it down good. Unlike yours, my caulking seemed to stain the teak right away, and I had to use another product to finish it out. Looks great, by the way.
Yeah Larry it wasn't as forgiving on my rail joints because the teak didn't have any finish on it . But it does clean up pretty good with just regular paint thinner but you have to scrub to get it out of the grain.I used a flexable putty knife instead of a hard knife and it seamed to work better. Caulking is just a pain no matter what you use. But taping it off and letting the end of the tape run wild so you have something to grab hold of when you pull it off is a big help . That way you don't have to use your finger nail to get tape started .

Stunning!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Thanks Forkliftt,I hope to get these doors put together and mounted within a week or so .

I look forward to seeing them installed.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Yeah the old doors were hung and not very well . I made new tracks and the doors will hopefully slide in the bottom track and not hang up .I used uhmw in the track on the bottom . I mounted the tracks on a basement wall and the door frames slide pretty good but that was without the doors panels and on a wall not a cabin side.The doors will be at least twice as heavy as just the frames once I add the panels and the ports .I have a lot of adjustment built into the tracks.:ermm:

Port door mounted .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 184
Inside pic . Still need to install cowling around door on the outside .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 170
PM, great work! You are killing me on the bright work. I have got to get at it.

First rate! Nice job!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Thanks guys , we hope to start the varnish on the cap rail later this week . The pollen is still falling here , but it looks like we have three days of rain . We hope that washes most of it away .

I know what you mean about woodworking taking forever. I've been at it long enough now that I ought to be pretty skilled, but I'm still incredibly slow. Been working on a high/low salon table for at least six months. The more experienced I am, the higher my standards and it takes even longer. At this rate by the time I'm 80 it'll take me an hour to drive one nail.

Earlier today I loaded my sun visor on my little truck and hauled it to William . It stuck out about 2 ft on each side of truck bed .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 139
Starboard door installed and put the sun visor on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 140
I think he looks better with a hat on .

Attachments

• image.jpg