Price Creek near St mile 450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Price Creek, AICW st mile 450 (approximate)

Anyone been here? I want to anchor here in a few days but I want to get as close to the beach as I can since I have two dogs. Don't want too much of a dinghy ride for the last pee of the night. The charts make it look like Schooner Creek near the inlet might be a good place.

Anyone been here? I want to anchor here in a few days but I want to get as close to the beach as I can since I have two dogs. Don't want too much of a dinghy ride for the last pee of the night. The charts make it look like Schooner Creek near the inlet might be a good place.

I can't remember the name of the creek that we anchored in several years ago, but it was near McClellansville. Didn't go to the beach, but could hear the ocean at night.

We always used Dewee's Creek and it's branches, such as Long Creek northwest of the ICW, at 455. Lots of options, very good holding, pretty Low Country surroundings. We don't have dogs, but the banks are mud/dirt, same as the area around Price's. I would suspect less current than Price's.

I can't remember the name of the creek that we anchored in several years ago, but it was near McClellansville. Didn't go to the beach, but could hear the ocean at night.

I think that's five fathom creek. I might stop in McClellanville but probably go to Leland Oil. Right now I have no dink motor so anchoring is out. Dogs need regular shore breaks.

OK, no dink pretty much rules it out. One thing about the Dewee's Creek anchorages there are some places where you can get the big boat pretty snug to the shore. Do you trust your dogs to swim over and back? Oars on the dinghy?

Call and check the depth going into Leland. If you get in there say hi to Dwayne and have the BEST Low Country supper anywhere at TW Grahams!

Looks OK from the charts if you want to pick your way down to the sandy parts near the inlet.

If stopping near McClellanville...I sometimes shoot for a late arrival, tie to or drop my crew off with the dog at the boat ramp dock and then again in the early morning. I do the same with daytime only city docks. Just a thought if trying to anchor out with a dog and the dingy isn't a great option.

OK, no dink pretty much rules it out. One thing about the Dewee's Creek anchorages there are some places where you can get the big boat pretty snug to the shore. Do you trust your dogs to swim over and back? Oars on the dinghy?

Call and check the depth going into Leland. If you get in there say hi to Dwayne and have the BEST Low Country supper anywhere at TW Grahams!

You bet! Been to Leland and so I think it should be OK. I'm told they have new floating docks. I'm due in Georgetown on Monday so hopefully I can find a competent mechanic to fix my outboard. Then Price Creek is still an option. We do have oars, but only for emergencies. I've seen current in some of these places that would send you out to sea! In those situations I normally carry a good anchor and 100' of rode in case the motor craps out. No chance to beat a good current with oars, although waiting for slack tide can be an option.

If I make it up in there where I want to be I'll post here and also add an anchorage on ActiveCaptain. It looks deep all the way to the inlet bar, but I like hearing local knowledge. Gonna call for it as I'm approaching to hear what Sea Tow says.

We've anchored at Awendaw Creek, around mile 336, just below McClellanville. Hang a right at marker R48. Good holding. The breeze should keep the bugs away.
We’ve anchored off the North Santee, in Big Duck Creek also.

If you’re going to be in the North Myrtle Beach area next week (May 3), we’re having a pig roast in our marina and you’re more than welcome to stop by and be my guest. We’re just under 40 miles north of Georgetown. KJ

With the tides there no dink motor I hope doesn't mean no dink because the mother ship isn't going near those banks unless you want to stay a while. Five Fathoms is a magical place on a moonlit night!

You bet! Been to Leland and so I think it should be OK. I'm told they have new floating docks. I'm due in Georgetown on Monday so hopefully I can find a competent mechanic to fix my outboard. Then Price Creek is still an option. We do have oars, but only for emergencies. I've seen current in some of these places that would send you out to sea! In those situations I normally carry a good anchor and 100' of rode in case the motor craps out. No chance to beat a good current with oars, although waiting for slack tide can be an option.

If I make it up in there where I want to be I'll post here and also add an anchorage on ActiveCaptain. It looks deep all the way to the inlet bar, but I like hearing local knowledge. Gonna call for it as I'm approaching to hear what Sea Tow says.

Wait a minute... sounds like you are heading south ? Just assumed this time of year it would north. Whhoops!

Again , if you are concerned about currents and your dink, it's less of an issue on the northerly sides of the ICW. You might want to call one of the marinas, such as Georgetown Landing (really nice people) which has a lot of outboard boats, about finding a good outboard guy ahead of time.

Have fun!

Last edited:

That's a place I've been meaning to visit but never have. Friends rave about it. One of the islands has restrictions against dogs. The other does not. Find out which is which before you take your dogs ashore.

Rowing against the current could be very difficult. That's most anywhere around here.

Wait a minute... sounds like you are heading south ? Just assumed this time of year it would north. Whhoops!

Again , if you are concerned about currents and your dink, it's less of an issue on the northerly sides of the ICW. You might want to call one of the marinas, such as Georgetown Landing (really nice people) which has a lot of outboard boats, about finding a good outboard guy ahead of time.

Have fun!

You read my mind. Yes we are heading South and as usual we are going the wrong way! Must have passed 20 boats today going the other way.

Georgetown Landing is where we will leave our boat until the Hurricane Season, and yes, we did call ahead and they will have a mechanic ready. If they can get our outboard fixed we will head on further South. I know the area well and there is no way I'll get in my dink after dark with two dogs and two oars and a 4HP two stroke with no lower unit. 'Tis OK, we ain't trying to get anywhere, just moving our boat to escape from the Tax Man.

Woody

That's a place I've been meaning to visit but never have. Friends rave about it. One of the islands has restrictions against dogs. The other does not. Find out which is which before you take your dogs ashore.

Rowing against the current could be very difficult. That's most anywhere around here.

Yes, ActiveCaptain stated where not to take the dogs. Current for us is a normal thing. Our CQR setup has never let us down. I will report back what we find here and also on ActiveCaptain what we find out.

Thanks again for the friendly replies. It is good to be back on the water.

Woody

We've anchored at Awendaw Creek, around mile 336, just below McClellanville. Hang a right at marker R48. Good holding. The breeze should keep the bugs away.
We’ve anchored off the North Santee, in Big Duck Creek also.

If you’re going to be in the North Myrtle Beach area next week (May 3), we’re having a pig roast in our marina and you’re more than welcome to stop by and be my guest. We’re just under 40 miles north of Georgetown. KJ

Barefoot? We were just there. Great showers and good for dogs which is why we always stop. Hate to miss the pig roast because we've met many of the locals and they are fun people. We are moving slowly South and I guess we are non-conformists.

Georgetown Landing is where we will leave our boat until the Hurricane Season, and yes, we did call ahead and they will have a mechanic ready. If they can get our outboard fixed we will head on further South. I know the area well and there is no way I'll get in my dink after dark with two dogs and two oars and a 4HP two stroke with no lower unit.

Good plan all around!

Not sure I understand the Tax Man comment (?)

Good plan all around!

Not sure I understand the Tax Man comment (?)

Haven't got a bill from NC. If I get one I'll give them proof it is located in SC. Gotta be there for six months to get a bill from SC but by then I'll be somewhere else.

I am not a cheap skate, but in some counties they really turn the screws to you. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is one of them I'm told. Here at this marina they told me a guy takes his expensive boat to different marinas for six month periods just to avoid the tax bill. The thing is, I think each County valuates things differently... The way I see it, I'm registered with the CG and not a state, so tax me on a federal level. Otherwise I'm going to try and skirt it.

Haven't got a bill from NC. If I get one I'll give them proof it is located in SC. Gotta be there for six months to get a bill from SC but by then I'll be somewhere else.

I am not a cheap skate, but in some counties they really turn the screws to you. Horry County (Myrtle Beach) is one of them I'm told. Here at this marina they told me a guy takes his expensive boat to different marinas for six month periods just to avoid the tax bill. The thing is, I think each County valuates things differently... The way I see it, I'm registered with the CG and not a state, so tax me on a federal level. Otherwise I'm going to try and skirt it.

If you really want to be safe about this, don't take the word of "some guy at a marina", talk with a tax advisor. The penalties for tax avoidance can be pretty severe.

If you really want to be safe about this, don't take the word of "some guy at a marina", talk with a tax advisor. The penalties for tax avoidance can be pretty severe.

Tax avoidance-----no problem. Tax evasion-----big problem.

Somehow my earlier post didn't get posted, but you hit the nail on the head. 'nuff said. I pay a guy good money to minimize my tax burden. It is all legal.:banghead:

Does everybody go to Price Creek to avoid taxes?:D

Last edited:
Now I am a little more confused. What tax bill from NC? Your city and county property tax bill? How much can that be??

Combined, on my Hatteras, from Carteret and Morehead City they came to about $1100 a year. For that, I got the services of the police and sheriffs department and the fire and emergency services folks and other things that are nice to have near and for my boat.

When the boat was registered in Rhode Island, just paid $600 to RI, then paid about $250 tax and another $300 fee to Westport Mass for our time in their harbor. Not a bad deal since weekly at-the-mooring pump out was included in the deal in addition to other services. I have to hand it to the town clerk, they still send me tax bill every year and we haven't been there since 2010.

Sounds like you are spending more money to avoid taxes than the taxes themselves?

If you stay on the run you may be able to avoid paying personal property taxes on your boat. The law varies state by state and sometimes county by county. For example, in MD you pay a one time sales tax, then nothing more. In SC you pay personal property tax to the county you live in or if you live out of state, to the county the boat is in. (That's my personal knowledge and experience, not reliable tax advice.)

The question is, it worth the trouble and expense? In some states or counties, a typical trawler would qualify for a much lower tax rate as a second home.

.............. One thing about the Dewee's Creek anchorages there are some places where you can get the big boat pretty snug to the shore. Do you trust your dogs to swim over and back? ...........
I've seen alligators near there. I wouldn't send my dogs swimming to shore.

It can be a fine line between the two. And the tax man can take your money and leave it up to you to prove that he shouldn't have.

In Charleston there is a private citizen who owns a small boat who has made it his mission in life to see that large boat owners are charged personal property taxes on their boats. He rides around and spots them, then hassles the tax office to make sure they bill the owners for taxes. One case that made the news involve a very large yacht and approximately $300K in tax. It made the TV news.

I've seen alligators near there. I wouldn't send my dogs swimming to shore.

so far the dogs haven't been eaten. We saw a big one in Barefoot, but that was the only one we saw.

No tax bill yet.

Last edited:
so far the dogs haven't been eaten. We saw a big one in Barefoot, but that was the only one we saw.

We've seen them on the ICW near Price Creek and even seen them next to our marina. Not often but once is all it takes. They love dogs.

We've seen them on the ICW near Price Creek and even seen them next to our marina. Not often but once is all it takes. They love dogs.

Yes I was told they are attracted by barking dogs or swimming dogs. We saw another one in Georgetown, but not that big. I was warned by the locals to keep an eye on my dogs, however. Good advice and well received. I love my dogs too!

Several years ago we were at a marina where the locals fed them marshmellows! He was like the dang mascot and I couldn't believe it! Then they warned me to keep my dog out of the water or he would risk being eaten. Cruising is a learning experience.

Woody

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom