Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a couple of days off due to eye playing up but was able to slip in a couple of hours this morning before the headaches kicked in.

Hopefully get to spend some more time on her tomorrow

cheers
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 78
Okie Dokie
Almost done with the Hull extension and Transom,( is it still called a transom when its no longer the very end of the boat :confused: )

Made the Transom door 1.0mtr wide. My mate has a narrow transom door on his boat and not only is it a PITA, its dangerous and a trip hazard so mines nice and big :-D

Sides are coming up and we're moving forward. :thumb:

Ive had to buy some 3mm ply and laminate them in situ on the hull extension. Too much curve for any other thickness of ply. Little bit of work and I would have rathered done without it, but itll come out ok ... I hope lol :hide:

Tomorrow the floors start to go down then the finishing fillets etc get done in the bilge prior to painting:dance:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hey Matt! - Keep them picts commen - Always great to see your progress!

Hendo I am realy sorry about the accident but happy knowing that you're back and with a positive attitude.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you need something from this side of the World

get well
portuguese

Hendo I am realy sorry about the accident but happy knowing that you're back and with a positive attitude.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you need something from this side of the World

get well
portuguese

Hola Portuguese,
Obrigado pela sua ajuda, meu amigo.
Muchas Gracias
Hendo.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Wow-Matt, now that you have that thing right side up, it is really starting to look like a boat! Pretty amazing progress on the topsides!

Mate your killing me .I'm trying to keep my pace up with yours. In post 868 is that a power plane? Do you use it much ? I've got to get one .

Mate your killing me .I'm trying to keep my pace up with yours. In post 868 is that a power plane? Do you use it much ? I've got to get one .

Yep. I bought my first one when I was a second year apprentice carpenter many moons ago and haven't looked back since. I have a hand plane but that's used for keeping the door open in a high wind or for stopping the ute from rolling back when the handbrake on my ute is playing up lol.

Gotta Work smarter, not harder mate.

A power planer will fill your shop with chips faster than any other tool you can buy. Excellent device.

A power planer will fill your shop with chips faster than any other tool you can buy. Excellent device.
I've used one before when I helped a guy build a timber frame house .They are nice and fast. I just never have owned one . At home I have an old 13" fixed planner and at work we have a 24" and 36 "top and bottom planner .We make about 25,000 square ft of oak hardwood flooring everyday and from the waste we make 35 tons of oak pellet fuel every day after day after day.Between work and home I get enough of dust for all of us .

I don't see a plane in 868 … oh yea up on the stern. I bought one of those in a 2nd hand store. Haven't used it much. I have a "cutoff saw" like the one in the foreground of the planner pic. That thing is great. One of those things that make you wonder what ya did before.

PM,
Oak pellets? I'll bet that good heat. We use Douglas Fir.

Last edited:
I don't see a plane in 868 … oh yea up on the stern. I bought one of those in a 2nd hand store. Haven't used it much. I have a "cutoff saw" like the one in the foreground of the planner pic. That thing is great. One of those things that make you wonder what ya did before.

PM,
Oak pellets? I'll bet that good heat. We use Douglas Fir.
It's sitting on top of that short ladder .
It does make good heat with a low ash content . We have the perfect raw material for pellets . It's all red oak and white oak . It's the off fall from making flooring . All material has been kiln dried to 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 moisture content and no dirt or bark . Flooring mills make some of the best pellets out there . In the summer we sell them pretty cheap. I loaded three trucks today .

G'day all. With ANZAC day yesterday and now rain today, not a lot has been done on AXE, however, I've been tinkering with some items I already have waiting to be fitted like her Portholes, glass hatches and the SARCA.

I have discovered that I now have an item surplus to my needs and want to know if any of AXE's followers/supporters need/want it.

I have just discovered/remembered that I purchased a bowsprit in preparation for my anchor when The time came to buy one, but through the generosity of Rex and Joy from www.anchorright.com.au I have a bowsprit to match my anchor, leaving me with two bowsprits

The SARCA being the ultimate in anchor means I won't need two anchors so this really is surplus to my needs

I didn't want to post this in the classifieds section and sell it because I don't want money for it and I don't just want to give it to anyone.

I want to give it to someone that is interested in what Felicity and I are doing on AXE and shares in our ups and downs, hence why it's posted in this thread. Kind of like a thank you for your support and for contributing to my thread

It is a Lewmar brand and the sizes are as per the attached pictures. She weighs 5.8kgs.

I paid $678.00 for it over a year again now.

I am paying Rex and Joy's kind gesture to me forward to you so giving this away to whoever wants it. All I ask for is the cost of postage be paid for. I have PayPal so internet payment is ok to do. I am happy to wrap her up and ship her to wherever you like. No handling charges, just the cost of postage is all I ask.

Like I said above, I want to give it to someone that has been contributing to my thread as a bit of a thank you.

Well that's all. Let me know if you would like it.

So It's fair on everyone, let me know if you're interested and your name will go in to a hat. This time next week, the ever lovely Felicity will pick the winner.

I think that's the fairest options Due to the different time zones and week days etc etc etc.

Ok well that's all.

Cheers
Matt

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495751.205688.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495788.683648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495817.972263.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495866.211015.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495889.424585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495910.493776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398495931.630140.jpg

Last edited:
Wow- Incredibly kind gesture, Hendo! Nice to see the generosity flowing on. Makes for a great community.

I'd be honoured to mount in on Kokanee if my name was to come up. Appears to It's great having equipment with a story behind it.

My current original roller is undersized for my anchor, and the anchor can't be locked in place. I have to tie it down with a bit of rope to avoid it bouncing off the bowsprit. The rode pulley wheel is worn down to half its original diameter. All a bit sad, really.

Last edited:
Wow- Incredibly kind gesture, Hendo! Nice to see the generosity flowing on. Makes for a great community.

I'd be honoured to mount in on Kokanee if my name was to come up. Appears to It's great having equipment with a story behind it.

My current original roller is undersized for my anchor, and the anchor can't be locked in place. I have to tie it down with a bit of rope to avoid it bouncing off the bowsprit. The rode pulley wheel is worn down to half its original diameter. All a bit sad, really.

Hey mate,
Thanks for your reply! ...

Nah just paying it forward mate. Ya know, one good deed deserves another, that kind of thing ... It's Rex and Joy that deserve the appreciation, not me mate. For if not for their gesture then this one would not be available.

This is brand new and unused so should see it last a loooong time IMO. There is a small water mark on the inside but that's just from me and will polish out. I'll clean it before posting to the winner so it'll come in as new condition.

The pulleys can be swapped out too. Maybe to brass ones if the plastic ones keep crapping out.

You're name is in the hat mate!

Last edited:
Great looking prize for someone. What did you decide to do with the Samson Post? Looking great.

Great looking prize for someone. What did you decide to do with the Samson Post? Looking great.

Nothing yet mate. It's clear coated and sitting in the spare room until I figure out what to do with it.

What's better - separate toilet and separate shower or a combo setup?

If you have the room, I'd go separate, but it does take up a bit more space.
I actually like a separate toilet off the cockpit, but you don't often see it in a layout.

If you're actually planning on using it, separate. Wet heads(which I have) just plain suck to use IMO.

Mark Pierce's Coot has a drop dead gorgeous head well worth emulating, hit him up for some pictures. Easily the nicest head I've ever seen in a boat under 40'.

Separate them if you can. Doriana`s separate set up is a mod by the longterm (25yr) PO at the behest of his Admiral; we appreciate it more than his maintenance standards.
I think the Kellick 33, built in Qld, has the head compartment off the cockpit. Search one on Boatpoint and check the design. Good idea IMO, except for memories of "the outside dunny".

If you're actually planning on using it, separate. Wet heads(which I have) just plain suck to use IMO.

Mark Pierce's Coot has a drop dead gorgeous head well worth emulating, hit him up for some pictures. Easily the nicest head I've ever seen in a boat under 40'.

Hey Craigo. What's this guys user name? I searched for coot and got loaded with results lol

If you have the room, I'd go separate, but it does take up a bit more space.
I actually like a separate toilet off the cockpit, but you don't often see it in a layout.

How do you mean mate? Have you got any diagrams?

Last edited:
Hey Craigo. What's this guys user name? I searched for coot and got loaded with results lol

markpierce is his username on the forum but he may be out of town, heard through the grapevine he's enjoying a cruise right now.

markpierce is his username on the forum but he may be out of town, heard through the grapevine he's enjoying a cruise right now.

Ah yep cool. Thank you kind sir! Mmmmm cruise. Can't wait for that day lol :)

WImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398564980.773765.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1398565157.944839.jpgWe like ours separate. We had a combo in our camano although we never used I could only imagine how cramped it would be. Remember even if you go for the combo you could always use marina amenities like we did.

Back
Top Bottom