View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #44
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Full displacement craft don't operate at a SLR of 1.75 and that is what this designer is suggesting as I read in the attachment.

IMO he's speaking from a marketing point of view. I haven't seem the stern of these boats though but think the afterplane must have a relatively flat and straight run or 11 knots cruising would not be practical or perhaps even attainable.

Some people do separate SD from FD buy the speed capabilities. As eyschulman has pointed out there is definitely a significant grey area in definition and there are boats that swim in the cusp of two different types. And I might add that a motorsailer isn't a "true" motorboat or sailboat. A bit of each but not a thoroughbred of either.

Many think that a "true" trawler should be a FD craft. The opposite is actually true IMO. Probably 90% of trawlers are SD so SD is actually most representative of the type. FD trawlers are actually just super slow trawlers.

I see dhmeissner's post now and that sums it up directly. The post is either directly saying or at least strongly implying that a FD craft should command a greater degree of "respect" and their owners as well. Many times I've called a boat owned by a person that was under the impression that it was a FD boat a SD boat. And the response was clearly that of offense. How dare you call my boat a SD. Noth'in semi about it ... it's the real thing .. ect.

Actually the design of a FD boat is quite easy to pull off compared to a good SD. So perhaps a good SD design should command more respect. But for a trawler a SD is best in that all those people w SD trawlers can't be wrong. SD is better as stated by the buyers of trawlers. The old and the new. Look at all the go fast trawlers like the Fathom 40.

Bottom line IMO is that FD boats should command no more respect than SD boats ... perhaps even less. SD boats are, all things considered, better trawlers than their heavier and slower family members.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote