Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsterk View Post
Great recs, but how can I investigate water/electrical in the ceiling? I can make an assumption based on where my feeds come from, where they terminate and where my chase is, but like you said, it could make for a long day if I discover something up there that isn't screw friendly.

The through bolt seems excessive for a rod holder, but it does guarantee I don't have a rack come down on my head should I wind up at the lower helm trying to get through a nasty blow (all my planning attempts to eliminate these situations, but the unavoidable is inevitable). Still, I may try screwing and see how much meat I can get. If it feels flimsy I can always go back and through bolt or add some blocking as suggested.
Go slow with a hand tool to see/feel what's in there. Most likely all water lines are run from below the floorboards in the ER and lazarette. Nearby lighting fixtures will have wires in the neighborhood...easy to feel around to ensure you're clear of them.

If the wood screw fails, you can always thru-bolt at a later date. Just don't do it in a hurry like I did on the fly. Odds are pretty good you won't F it up. And if you do, then you've learned something new about your boat!! It's all good.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote