Canvas canopy interference with GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
How much signal degradation do you find that the canvas awning/canopy creates on a GPS (fish finder with built in GPS)?

Greetings,
Mr. m. In my case none. The same technology works fine in cars and metal/glass are much more of a "barrier" to signal than canvas. Even with supporting SS bows.

none...even fiberglass/wood pilothouses don't cause much or any....even with a flybridge on top.

None. My small Garmin in the salon with just a small antenna on the unit also has no problems.

How much signal degradation do you find that the canvas awning/canopy creates on a GPS (fish finder with built in GPS)?
None. My GPS antenna is mounted under the flybridge dash. That's over an inch of fiberglass. I tested it before I mounted it there. No loss whatsoever.

That's also where I mounted my TV antenna.

My GPS antenna interfered with my canvas, but I fixed that. :D

My iPad GPS work fine throughout the boat although it does indicate compass interference. Vessel GPS is not obstructed by anything.

Jim

My iPad GPS work fine throughout the boat although it does indicate compass interference. Vessel GPS is not obstructed by anything.

Jim

I wouldn't go that far...metal boats, wire bundles, RF interference and other things can affect a GPS...but a bimini...probably not...or glass or fiberglass that isn't super thick or heavily cored.

Unless you are saying YOUR GPS isn't obstructed....then sorry for the correction.

My GPS is mounted on the flybridge dash under a bimini, (see Avatar), and it does not interfere at all. However, some earlier GPS units were less good in picking up signals that are weak, and did not pick up as many channels either, so were not good if shrouded. My first car GPS (circa 2004), was pathetic at this, and only worked right up in clear line of sight under the windscreen. From the way my iPad and iPhone now work anywhere just about, I suspect any more modern unit would be fine - which is why they almost all now appear to have in-built antennae.

I run an HDS-7 at my upper helm and HDS-8 at the lower helm in the salon. The major difference is that the HDS-8 will lose WAAS more often than the HDS-7 on the upper helm under the canvas. WAAS is coming off geosynchronous satellites for the most part so distance and elevation angle are factors.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom