Thread: Cruising Skills
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #48
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually some need to catch up...this thread IS about cruising skills...not helmsman skills...go back and read post #1.

Don quoted me from "a single engine thread" where I basically stated..."you know you are good when......"

Cruising skills make docking skills easier...they are being aware of the frontal passage that will pin you to the dock tomorrow if you don't change to the other side...maybe even the other side of the peninsula.....or the tidal current difference....ettc..etc...
Well, actually I'd say docking is a part of cruising. It all is. From the time you start until it's all over. I would consider cruising to be the all encompassing word.

That said, I'll toss out one more. Know yourself and your guests and plan from the outside accordingly. That includes destinations and pace. Cruising should feel right, not too rushed, not boring. Just right for you. There's a skill of making the cruise pleasurable. For instance, whether to stay inside or outside depends on the individuals. My wife and I would rather deal with 3-4' conditions than shoals and bridges but for another smooth water is the key. How long is your cruising day to be. What percentage of days do you move.

And to answer, you know you are good when......

You're able to relax and enjoy and are prepared for all circumstances that arise. I think at the beginning it may be 50% pleasure and 50% apprehension or uneasiness for many. When that pleasure quotient reaches 99% you are good.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote