View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
For those who quote by the day, the current rates seem to average about $300 per day, some as low as $250 and some as high as $450. That's for Captain. Crew rates for delivery are averaging about $100 from those I see quoted. Assuming 750 nm approximately, if a normal day for your boat is 80 nm, then you're talking 10 days and with no crew that's $3000 +/- and a crew of one $4000 +/-. But weather can easily lengthen the time. Or if you have a faster boat it can lessen. Many, if not most captains, quote delivery by the job.

Add fuel, marinas (if used), travel, meals. Also, what is your urgency? I'd ballpark your total costs based on the information you've given so far between $5000 and $8000. I think you'll find prices all over the place but the key is finding someone with excellent references and reputation and someone you're comfortable with when interviewing them.

Also, you need to establish the agreement up front in terms of delay and costs. If the boat has to sit for three days along the way for maintenance, what is the compensation? Make sure your insurance includes the delivery. In the event of a grounding, who is responsible and how is that resolved? Don't wait until after the fact to try to figure these things out.

Why are you not taking it yourself-don't have time or experience? You could divide the delivery into several segments if necessary. Have you thought about accompanying captain to learn your boat? Some captains will deliver with owners, some won't.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote