Power Cords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathy and David

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irie Daze
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Sundeck
What is the best product to clean shore power cords? Mine are disgusting.

Assuming you have 30 amp, a credit card for a new Marinco is my choice. Lots of guys on TF talk about trying to salvage marine cords, foolish IMHO - I regularly practice IBEW safety rules.

30 AMP buy new, 50 AMP let me know. My main everyday cord is good but I have 2 other cords that are real bad and at 600+ bucks I don't want to trash them.

Look over on the fender cleaning thread...pretty much all the same answers.

Strong stuff works well but you have to be careful and replace the plasticizers that are removed by strong solvents.

Replacing cords because they are dirty (not electrically insufficient) is convenient except to those that are low on funds and need $$$$ for other things....

If or when you buy new ones, you can recover a little money by taking the old ones to a metal recycling scrap yard. Copper is pert' near $3 a pound.
You could use the windfall cash for a new Hula girl bobblehead for the helm.
:dance:

You might try Lanolin based hand cleaner. I used to use this on plastic tool handles many years ago.

I've seen some suggestions in the past that I though were pretty bad. A dirty power cord is better than one that's clean but has been damaged by the chemicals or process used to clean it.

As for selling your old cord for scrap, I doubt you'll get more than a dollar for it and you'll have to strip (or burn) the insulation off first.

If springing big bucks for a new cord I would only purchase ones that have removable , non sealed ends.

Usually HUBBEL.

Sure when it overheats a hack saw will remove any melted plug ,

but sometimes IF it drops in sea water they can be cleaned , not discarded.

My emphasis is on cleaning the connections not the cord exterior.

StarBrite makes a shorepower cable cleaner/protector that works pretty well. It's not a magic bullet, though...

-Chris

My emphasis is on cleaning the connections not the cord exterior.

Are you trying to remove corrosion? Put some Corrosion Block on them and see if you can wipe it away. Are there signs of discoloration around the connectors? If so, I would cut the end off back as far as you need to see bright new wire and put a new end on. I also spray my connections and receptacles with Corrosion Block priodically to prevent this problem.

Using harsh chemicals that damage the insulation and then trying to repair the insulation with floor wax? Seriously? :rolleyes:

A dirty power cord is better than one that's clean but has been damaged by the chemicals or process used to clean it.

any proof there's damage that will affect performance????

Using harsh chemicals that damage the insulation and then trying to repair the insulation with floor wax? Seriously? :rolleyes:

A dirty power cord is better than one that's clean but has been damaged by the chemicals or process used to clean it.

What makes you say that, rwidman? Do you know something the manufacturer doesn't know or doesn't want us to know? What information do you have that this product is ineffective or unsafe for power cords?

The info below is from the website linked above:

Marine Strip

Restoration Technology - Marine Strip Welcome to our web site!
We offer simply the finest Marine stripper available. We are also home to the fine line of TLC Wax Products. (The Original TLC Wax)

See the Captain's Review in "In the Bite" magazine! "What was going to be a full morning project for us turned into a quick wipe and clean."

Marine Strip - Simply the finest cleaning product available!
$16.95 per quart plus shipping and handling.
Cleans on contact:

Dirty shore power cords (emphasis mine)
Poly balls
Inflatables
Black rup marks in rod holders
Vinyl cushions
Plastic coolers
Canvas
Plastic rub rails
Fiberglass

Not trying to repair any damage because no real damage is done. Just trying to protect the cord so it's easier to clean next time. :)

This talk of cleaning your cords from time to time some how causing any real long term damage to their thick outer insulation is nonsense.

After decades in this business the only damaged I've seen done to shore cords had nothing to do with keeping them clean.

:lol::lol:

Capt.Bill11, how easy was the Marinestrip to use? Was it wipe on/wipe right off or wipe on/soak/scrub off?

Looks like an interesting product for general boat use.

That is a picture of a one of the 2 100 amp cords on the last boat I ran. They were the dirtiest cords I had ever had to clean. So it was a scrub hard, wipe and then wipe down again process.

On most cords you can just scrub/wipe with a terry towel or microfiber towel, changing them as they get dirty, and your done.

Not trying to repair any damage because no real damage is done. Just trying to protect the cord so it's easier to clean next time. :)

This talk of cleaning your cords from time to time some how causing any real long term damage to their thick outer insulation is nonsense.

After decades in this business the only damaged I've seen done to shore cords had nothing to do with keeping them clean.

So true....I have seen the ends replaced multiple times long before the main cord insulation ever fails.

The ends fall apart or become so burned/corroded the cord is repaired or replaced....

Marinestrip was originally sold as a varnish stripper. It is a lousy varnish stripper but it is a great vinyl cleaner. It works fast, like acetone, but doesn't seem to remove the plasticizers. I sell a lot of it in my store.

I like the idea of waxing the cord to help prevent dirt from sticking.

One reason to keep your cord clean is that a dirty cord can leave marks on white gel coat.

Or you can just buy a Marinco shore power cord "cover" (sleeve).
It's a sleeve that just covers the power cord. Has a zipper and is good looking.
Sold at west marine.

Or you can just buy a Marinco shore power cord "cover" (sleeve).
It's a sleeve that just covers the power cord. Has a zipper and is good looking.
Sold at west marine.

Yeah. FWIW, they usually last for about 2 years...

Just happens our dock has been graced with new piles, and it was time to replace the sleeves on our "stays at home all the time" power cord... so I used the StarBrite product (says it includes a protectant) and then re-sleeved, slung the whole thing from dock pedestal to pile to boat where it lives. Looks decent, until the sleeve starts to go south... but since only a small portion of that power cord ever moves (when disconnected from the boat), the sleeves don't actually get much friction wear.

Not sure I'd be willing to mess with sleeves on free-standing (i.e., not in a Cablemaster) traveling cords, though.

-Chris

I have two things to report to the collective:

I called Hopkins Carter about getting some Marine Strip because they are listed as a dealer and was planning to get some from them next week when I found some on the west coast of Florida about 25 miles from Punta Gorda. Four bucks more than HC but no shipping.

I have not used it yet but did try the Spray Nine today and it did a pretty decent job. Say 85% with one pass.

I will use the Marine Strip for the final clean before I put on a new Sunbrella cover made by these folks.

All American Marine Power Cord Cover | Made in USA

If you are going to cover it why clean it?

Because it is a nearly new white 50 amp cord that I got when the Cablemaster was installed in March. I had neglected to get a cover and it was getting a little grody.

I am not one to sweep dirt under the rug. ;)

I called Hopkins Carter about getting some Marine Strip because they are listed as a dealer and was planning to get some from them next week when I found some on the west coast of Florida about 25 miles from Punta Gorda. Four bucks more than HC but no shipping.

I have not used it yet but did try the Spray Nine today and it did a pretty decent job. Say 85% with one pass.

I will use the Marine Strip for the final clean before I put on a new Sunbrella cover made by these folks.

All American Marine Power Cord Cover | Made in USA

I would benefit from your review of the Marine Strip product!

Got some fenders that could use some TLC, and would like to expend as little effort as possible (short of just replacing the things).

I can mention I've tried some "Totally Awesome" cleaner. Not. Maybe about like your results (or less) with Spray Nine.

Ref the cover: FWIW, we use a Marinco cover on our home slip shorepower cord. That stays in place, so we only have to disconnect from the Cablemaster cord at the boat end; the Cablemaster cord is completely covered all the time (except for the few seconds when we make/break the connection). Just happened to have space shorepower cords, so it was an easy solution to quick getways and recoveries. The Marinco cover last about 2 years...

-Chris

Last edited:

I would benefit from your review of the Marine Strip product!

Got some fenders that could use some TLC, and would like to expend as little effort as possible (short of just replacing the things).

I can mention I've tried some "Totally Awesome" cleaner. Not. Maybe about like your results (or less) with Spray Nine.

Seasalt, any further review of the Marine Strip stuff?

FWIW, I've tried the following, with varying results, mostly underwhelming:
- Starbrite Inflatable Boat & Fender Cleaner/Protector
- Starbrite Power Cable Cleaner/Protector
- Totally Awesome
- Something To Do It
- Soft Scrub all-purpose cleanser
- Kaboom spray with Oxyclean
- Baking Soda (made into a paste)
- Aquafresh fluoride toothpaste (extra fresh + whitening)
- Goo-Gone spray gel
- ZEP orange degreaser
- De-Solv-It Contractor’s solvent

The two Starbrite products do OK sorta-kinda, but take a lot of work... and OK is maybe hovering near that 85% mark you mentioned (or less) even with some serious scrubbing.

None of those are wipe on/wipe off products. Some, I tried simply 'cause I had it on hand, or because I had a "What the heck?" moment.

Haven't found/tried Spray Nine yet. Have not tried MEK or oxalic acid yet, and I suspect those would be a bit harsher on the vinyl than I'd care to be except as maybe court of last resort.

BTW, I wasn't able to find Marine Strip on the Hopkins-Carter website when I searched. Got a link? (Or maybe Parks will chime in...) Our nearest dealer is 25 miles or so and a toll bridge away... if they really do stock it, and if they really do have it in stock.

-Chris

Try black streak remover. You can get it at west marine, but a lot cheaper at amazon. I used it on my home gutters, when nothing else would work, and they look brand new, It is amazing stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom