View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Arctic Traveller
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Varnish

I could use some advice on varnishing.* Our Defever 49 has a lot of wood on the exterior, and 90% of it is in really nice shape. The cap rails and other wood is a very light golden color that is coated in some type of high gloss coating that is nearly perfect, but there are areas that are beginning to peel along the edges and such.* I have tried to sand and refinish these areas with little luck The problem is that no matter what type of finish I try, it turns the wood a red color.* I really don't want to refinish the entire cap rail due to 5% of it being degraded, while the remainder is perfect. In addition, I like the light blond color.* I have tried many different products, and all seem to change the color of the wood.* Prior to applying the coating, the bare wood matches the wood under the good coating perfectly.* Once the new coating is applied though the red color appears.* I even noticed that clear water causes the wood to discolor.* Does anyone have any ideas?* Could I somehow seal the wood prior to applying a top coat?* Wood finishing is something I know little about and would love some advice.* I guess last resort is to refinish the entire boat, but it really pains me since so much of the wood is perfect, and I dislike the reddish color I seem to get.* Thanks in advance...............Arctic Traveller
Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote